Low Calcium Motor Oils...

is there any easy way to find which motor oils have low calcium content...I believe I'm just not looking in the right places but it seems that GM is recommending low calcium motor oil for their 2.0T (and some others) and specifically calling out AC Delco and Mobil 1 as two that they recommend...

I already use Mobil 1 in the GFs 2013 Malibu with the 2.0T since it was bought new but always like to have alternatives should the recommended oils not be available on sale or with a rebate...

I do try to keep a stash of Mobil 1 as it has been my preferred motor oil since 2001 but I admit that I have bought some of the more bargain priced full synthetics for other vehicles not requiring low calcium motor oils...

Bill

if that is true why does GM mention only their AC Delco and Mobil 1...just marketing?...and thanks for the feedback.

Bill
Because they have a contractual relationship with Exxon/Mobil. All of their high performance cars come with Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 printed on the oil cap. And the AC/Delco recommendation is pretty obvious. That is a GM brand. The Dexos certification is given to any brand of oil that meets current GM specs. Here is a list straight from GM of Dexos approved oils. You should be able to find one from this list. https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

if that is true why does GM mention only their AC Delco and Mobil 1...just marketing?...and thanks for the feedback.

Bill
From the GM Dexos web site:
"

About GM dexos®​

GM has found that using substandard oil can affect engine performance and, in the worst case scenario, may damage or harm the engine. Only licensed dexos® products have been certified by GM to meet the dexos® specification. Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.

There are many authentic licensed dexos® products readily available at retail outlets, service repair shops, quick lube operations, and GM service centers. dexos® licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos® icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos® license number on the back label. Unless an oil package displays these two markings, the engine oil is not an authentic, licensed dexos® product and is not recommended for use in GM vehicles.

The dexos® specification and trademark are exclusive to General Motors, LLC."

Coincidentally M1 0W20HM is thicker than the 5W at operating temp. It makes the 5W look redundant. I can't speak to viscosity stability between the two. Maybe the 5W is thicker after a while than the 0W.

From the GM Dexos web site:
"

About GM dexos®​

GM has found that using substandard oil can affect engine performance and, in the worst case scenario, may damage or harm the engine. Only licensed dexos® products have been certified by GM to meet the dexos® specification. Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.

There are many authentic licensed dexos® products readily available at retail outlets, service repair shops, quick lube operations, and GM service centers. dexos® licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos® icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos® license number on the back label. Unless an oil package displays these two markings, the engine oil is not an authentic, licensed dexos® product and is not recommended for use in GM vehicles.

The dexos® specification and trademark are exclusive to General Motors, LLC."
AKA:
"We here at GM have built and programmed our engines to produce lots of power at very low rpm, in effect lugginig the engine, which your grandpa told you never to do. Rather than make the engine run safely, we have asked (forced?) the oil industry to develop new oil formulations so our engines don't grenade."

AKA:
"We here at GM have built and programmed our engines to produce lots of power at very low rpm, in effect lugginig the engine, which your grandpa told you never to do. Rather than make the engine run safely, we have asked (forced?) the oil industry to develop new oil formulations so our engines don't grenade."
So the same can be said for any engine that is designed to have early torque producing capabilities. Can’t slam GM for this one. Look at specs on any turbocharged engine. Early torque production with smaller displacements is a welcome benefit. That’s not ”lugging”.

So the same can be said for any engine that is designed to have early torque producing capabilities. Can’t slam GM for this one. Look at specs on any turbocharged engine. Early torque production with smaller displacements is a welcome benefit. That’s not ”lugging”.

And the emphasis should be on the fact that this is a DI phenomenon, a conventional port injected engine operated in the same manner does not experience LSPI.

Back