Louvers not open 2 Wix 57002 Oil Filters

I POSTED MY ORIGINAL POST BEFORE CUTTING THE FILTER OPEN.....APPARENTLY WIX CHANGED THE LOUVERS ON THIS FILTER... IT TURNS OUT THAT THE LOUVERS ARE FINE JUST MUCH DIFFERENT AND THERE WOULD BE PLENTY OF FLOW...MY CONCLUSION IS THAT THIS IS A VERY WELL BUILT FILTER AND WOULD USE THE OTHER ONE ON MY CAR WITH OUT HESITATION... I WILL ALSO BE CALLING ROCK AUTO TO REBILL ME FOR THE CREDIT ON THE 2 THAT THEY GAVE ME.....I MUST BE FAIR AND ADMIT THAT I WAS WRONG ON THIS ONE...
I Purchased 2 Wix 57002 Oil Filters (2018 Toyota Yaris IA that is a Mazda 2 re badge)from Rock Auto and I was shocked to see that the louvers were not penetrated through during manufacturing on either filter.... I purchased 2 of the same a year ago from same source and found them to be OK.. Having just changed my oil I ordered a couple of replacements for my stock as I needed to get an air filter... When they arrived I was going to place the oil filters in a baggy like I always do to store them and I was shocked what I saw. Pictures aren't the greatest I took several shots..... Rock Auto credited me with in 20 minutes after filling out claim(credit for Filters, Tax & Shipping).. I was also instructed to hold on to everything within 5 days they would be contacting me with a possibility of wanting them shipped back to them...If they don't I will cut them open...I reordered filters Baldwin B1400..
Rock Auto refund e-mail said to hold defects for 5 days

Attachments

• SANY0019_edited.jpg
    SANY0019_edited.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 258
  • SANY0008_edited.jpg
    SANY0008_edited.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 280
  • SANY0010_edited.jpg
    SANY0010_edited.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 323
  • SANY0011_edited.jpg
    SANY0011_edited.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 318
  • SANY0003_edited_edited.jpg
    SANY0003_edited_edited.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Those are not very good pictures. However, I have no reason to doubt you. This is the reason I never buy spin on filters without looking at them first. Will this keep me from buying a WIX filter? No. All manufacturers can have faulty products get through. Always look in the box before buying.

Old subject here … I ruined some good filters and cut some old filters. You can’t judge them well from the view afforded when fully assembled … think about window blinds flipped one way or the other … or standing on a ladder looking down on window blinds

1593253D-348F-4D5B-AFD7-C52C59B8ED2D.jpeg
E67C166A-03EE-4F99-8973-A105C65438B0.jpeg

Fwiw, imo two excellent follow up posts by MParr and 4WD with which I completely agree. One of the negatives of buying online, no prior inspection possible. And without saying topic case, 4WD makes a solid point I've seen in personal experience with louver observation.

Being very kind OP pic clarity not the greatest, but going with first hand observation, send them back. And holding these to the same standard as the recent Fram XG with the displaced adbv ending up in an engine, quoting MParr "All manufacturers can have faulty products get through". And where possible 'always inspect filters prior to purchase.'

As an aside, curious of manufacture date as RA is well known for selling NOS OFs posted here.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I was unable to get anything better with my equipment...I had to edit with Photoshop to try to clarify..I am dying to cut one open after the 5 day period....It will be messy with a hack saw...Anyone volunteer that has a cutter and I will send them to you...That is after I know that Rock Auto doesn't need them back

Old subject here … I ruined some good filters and cut some old filters. You can’t judge them well from the view afforded when fully assembled … think about window blinds flipped one way or the other … or standing on a ladder looking down on window blinds

View attachment 54075View attachment 54076
That's why I am itching to have them open... I took them to NAPA and they said with they were sold at their store it would be taken back at once and entire inventory of that part # would be inspected and sent back if it looked like that

Those are not very good pictures. However, I have no reason to doubt you. This is the reason I never buy spin on filters without looking at them first. Will this keep me from buying a WIX filter? No. All manufacturers can have faulty products get through. Always look in the box before buying.
I buy them 2 at a time from Rock just changed my oil so I ordered 2 more...I wrap the filters (not box) in saran wrap for storage ..I just happened to look and see no holes in louvers... A neighbor is a 35 yr mechanic I showed him he told me not to use that...

That's why I am itching to have them open... I took them to NAPA and they said with they were sold at their store it would be taken back at once and entire inventory of that part # would be inspected and sent back if it looked like that
An excellent reason to buy at NAPA. Plus, you will be able to inspect them before buying.

I HAVE DECIDED TO CUT ONE OPEN.... It appears that the louvers are different than previous purchase and ALL IS OK...
See the flash light shine trough

Attachments

• SANY0002 (2).JPG
    SANY0002 (2).JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 153
I decided to cut one open and all appears well....The louvers are of a different design that last purchase 1 year ago

I POSTED MY ORIGINAL POST BEFORE CUTTING THE FILTER OPEN.....APPARENTLY WIX CHANGED THE LOUVERS ON THIS FILTER... IT TURNS OUT THAT THE LOUVERS ARE FINE JUST MUCH DIFFERENT AND THERE WOULD BE PLENTY OF FLOW...MY CONCLUSION IS THAT THIS IS A VERY WELL BUILT FILTER AND WOULD USE THE OTHER ONE ON MY CAR WITH OUT HESITATION... I WILL ALSO BE CALLING ROCK AUTO TO REBILL ME FOR THE CREDIT ON THE 2 THAT THEY GAVE ME.....I MUST BE FAIR AND ADMIT THAT I WAS WRONG ON THIS ONE...

Attachments

• SANY0002 (2).JPG
    SANY0002 (2).JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 108
  • SANY0002 (2)_edited.jpg
    SANY0002 (2)_edited.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 101
  • SANY0007.JPG
    SANY0007.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 109
  • SANY0005 (2)_edited.jpg
    SANY0005 (2)_edited.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Yep, using pics, I agree with "ALL IS OK". And 4WD seems to have nailed it here. I do appreciate this thread though as it's a good reference to eye ball down tube vs cut open light source down centertube. Thanks for follow up pics, they're illuminating. :)

And as Emily Littella would say...

I decided to cut one open and all appears well....The louvers are of a different design that last purchase 1 year ago

Nice pictures and effort. Thanks for cutting it open. I wish it was easier to tell about the louvres w/out cutting the can open.

All this continued worry about louvers for nothing. Given the count of apertures - even if they were only open 5 thousandths
you would have adequate flow without restriction.
I worry more about the quality of the filter " paper" meeting spec. I've had no flow with Toyota filters in the past made in Thailand.
And I've proven that it was a filter issue.

e-core or regular holes over louvers any day. The main reason why I don't like them is the "seam" portion which takes up space for flow, especially on a small filter like that one.

It's pretty easy to see how well louvers are formed when looking down the center tube with a good light. Cell phone light comes in handy in the oil filter isle. I certainty wouldn't buy any filter that had 0.005" slits for louver openings. I've used filters with louvers, but inspected before use. Hard to tell on these as the photos are too blurry. Just seeing some light in a blurry photo doesn't automatically mean it's great.

Back