Loudest gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't short-barreled shotguns be loud, too? Maybe what some people call "Sawed-off" when they shorten it as short as then can, without damaging or affecting the operation of the weapon? 12-gauge, 00-buck....

Not as much pressure.

I've got thousands and thousands of 12 gauge out of 18" "riot" weapons and they are not too bad. Even with slugs.

Bill

Loud enough is my M91-30, most people at the range sighting in various rifles seem to pack up whenever I drop by. As the rifle and I warm up and my groups get smaller(Current record 1.72"@100yds), theirs get bigger. Particularly with the WW2 Russian surplus ammo, its noticeably hotter than the 1980's Romanian I usually feed it. Either way, you don't want to be standing next to me when it goes off, the shockwave hits you in the face hard enough to feel it in your cheekbones. A lot of it probably has to do with the very slow powders most surplus is loaded with, you can see the 3ft muzzle flash in daylight.

My friends Ak74 is the most annoying. It has a muzzle break that amplifies the noise and directs it along with the gasses right at you if you stand next to the shooter. [censored] poor design.

Plus the surplus communist ammo smells like cancer...

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Saw the thread on hearing protection and thought to ask what shooters feel the gun with the "loudest" report is. First guesses would be a Desert Eagle .50AE if not .44Mag

I also recall seeing a site about a custom short-barreled AK47 that was said to be LOUD due to 7.62MM and shortened barrel. 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 i dont know... Different AK. AK47, AK74, AK84... Some are 5.56...

A Deagle .50AE is very user friendly and easy to fire, not much more recoil than a 1911 really. Really amazing pistol actually, once you get past its massive size.

I think the snappy little pint sized full caliber Glocks are much more of a handful.

Last edited:
MOST rifles with muzzle brakes especially rounds like the.30-338 Weatherby are very loud. wife and i shoot .38-357/44mag/45colt. in the open,they are not too loud but under cover at the 2 ranges we shoot at, ear protection is a must. p.s. my .50 cal lyman plains pistol/black powder is very loud. Be safe, finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. TOFINO TOM

My ported Marlin 45/70 with full house loads will turn some heads at my club.And was shooting beside a ported 300 Warbird that rattled my teeth.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Saw the thread on hearing protection and thought to ask what shooters feel the gun with the "loudest" report is. First guesses would be a Desert Eagle .50AE if not .44Mag

I also recall seeing a site about a custom short-barreled AK47 that was said to be LOUD due to 7.62MM and shortened barrel. 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 i dont know... Different AK. AK47, AK74, AK84... Some are 5.56...

My uncle's S&W .500 is up there...but I would say his elephant rifle (Holland and Holland double in .577 Nitro Express) is loudest I have fired.

My uncle reports that firing a 20mm Solothurn is a bit like detonating a half-stick of dynamite 10' away.

Not necessarily the outright loudest but the absolute most unpleasant of anything I've shot is my Model 70 carbine in .243 w/ a BOSS. Awfully harsh crack report.

I assume that the BOSS, while it is not a true brake must direct a fair amount of the blast back towards the shooter.

Still remember taking my first deer w/ it which was also my first time shooting it w/o ear protection...ouch.

.35 Whelen shot from a box stand, with the muzzle slightly out the window.

Hunting with my nephew earlier this week he took his first deer. My ears are still ringing.

Any gun that has a brake that shoots a high pressure round. There are many guides that will refuse to hunt with a client that has a brake installed on their gun.

The muzzle blast out of my 20" barreled .308 is pretty mean. I'm sure it echo's for several miles and I can see leaves and dirt fly every time I pull the trigger.

My 300 RUM with a VIAS muzzle brake shooting 180gr Nosler Accubonds @ 3350fps will wake the dead!! Also, my Remington 700P 338 Lapua shooting 300gr Sierra's @ 2800fps is painful without the proper hearing protection. I use both fitted earplugs and electronic ear muffs for these type rifles.

Originally Posted By: Fatboymoe
My 300 RUM with a VIAS muzzle brake shooting 180gr Nosler Accubonds @ 3350fps will wake the dead!! Also, my Remington 700P 338 Lapua shooting 300gr Sierra's @ 2800fps is painful without the proper hearing protection. I use both fitted earplugs and electronic ear muffs for these type rifles.

+1. My father has a 300 RUM with a muzzle brake shooting a very similar DoubleTap 180gr Accubond load. Incredible concussion. The only thing I've been around that is worse is the 50 BMG. You do not want to shoot this gun without hearing protection, and you do not want to be anywhere near the side of the muzzle.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
.35 Whelen shot from a box stand, with the muzzle slightly out the window.

Hunting with my nephew earlier this week he took his first deer. My ears are still ringing.

Ha, I did that with my buddy once.

We were screwing around in his G wagon and wanted to do a drive by like Topgear did on some targets.

Bad idea, his AK74 with that stupid muzzle break was LOUDER than [censored] inside the vehicle. My ears still hurt just thinking about it.

On an interesting side now, the European rifles that throw brass forward with a lot of force are the best for inside vehicle use, since it mostly goes out. AR's dump it on you which burns, and can burn the leather!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: k1rod
50 BMG out of a Barrett

Yes , in my experience.
Standing to the side and behind, you can feel the air pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back