Louder valve train with m1 ep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a 1998 S10 2.2L and I have noticed the valve train is louder on start up(cold drive) and it sets for about 20 mins then restart to it gets warm with 5w30 M1 EP compared to the other oils I used when I got the truck they had 5w30 castrol gtx no noise at all then I put havoline ds 5w30, royal purple 5w30 castrol syntec 5w30 and right before using mobil 1 I ran pennzoil plat. 5w30 for 3 oil changes and Ive noticed more noise with the mobil than any other oil

Im thinking about just switching it back to castrol gtx if its gonna run quiter

If it seems to make less noise on the other oil, try going back.

M1 EP is a great oil. It will not harm your engine, but if you feel the GTX makes less noise, go back to it. Aslong as the oil is API rated SL or SM you will be fine!

M1 EP was louder in my 4.6 4valve Mustang too. Amsoil XL 5w-20 is significantly quieter than the M1 was.

Mobil 1 (in 5W-20) produced a valve train rattle in my '07 T&C's 3.8L engine that other oils don't do. The factory fill 5W-20 and Motorcraft 5W-20 that I had in there before the M1 were quiet. Since the M1, I've found that PP in 5W-20 also runs completely quiet. I currently have Chevron Supreme 5W-30 in it, and it runs quiet as well.

I agree -- if GTX runs quieter in it, go back to that. I've had very good success...in terms of quiet running engines...on Havoline/Chevron oils. I had a Nissan KA24E engine from '95 that clattered like crazy on the only oil I ever ran, Valvoline All Climate. I tried Havoline in it and it seemed to be a completely different engine.

used MOBIL 1 5w-30 in a 2000 PRIZM ( Corolla ) and valve train became noisier . Dropped that within 3,000 miles and switched to PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 and was quieter . Why ? I dunno . I guess cars innards are like someones digestive system with certain foods . Stomach rumbling ( valve chatter ) and passing gas ( oil burning , blow by ). BURP ! Pardon me . :- )

Last edited:
The wife's Kia Sorento was alot noisier on M-1. I ran it for 4 or 5000 miles and changed it and never went back to it for that car. It has seen some use in my snow blower and generator though.

Gee, sounds like there is nothing to this Mobil 1 valvetrain noise thing after all
smirk2.gif

Never had any significant noise difference with any brand in the Honda, Mazda, Focus, Corolla and Dodge Ram.

M1 5w20 was very smooth and quiet in the Accord.

Is the noise from hydraulic lifters ? If so it seems that it would possibly be worse with a cold engine. For me Delvac 1 makes the Cummins in the Dodge quieter. M1 5w30 T&S seemed quiter than the MC 5w20 that I used during warranty in the 2006 Taurus, it's quiet in the 99 Taurus and in my son's 92 F150 with the 4.9L I6.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Gee, sounds like there is nothing to this Mobil 1 valvetrain noise thing after all
smirk2.gif

Seriously. I've always noticed the M1 noise correlation, and it's one of the original reasons I stopped using it.

I wonder if the oil filter has anything to do with it. Did you use the same filter as last time? I'm with chevrofreak, I don't believe the "noise" with M1...but that's been covered before.

Here's my Mobil 1 noise story. A few years back I sold my 1982 Alfa Romeo to a friend. I had used Castrol GTX 20W-50 in it exclusively. He changed the oil to Mobil 1 15W-50 when he got home. He called a few days later and asked if I had ever noticed a very slight knocking from the bottom end. I hadn't. He changed the oil back to the GTX and sure enough, the knocking went away. He changed back to the M1 a few days later an the knocking returned. He decided to tear it down for peace of mind. He found that the big end of the #3 rod had been cut improperly and had .0005" taper. We reconditioned the rod and put in a new bearing and all was well.

It is clear that different oils can effect the noises you hear from an engine.

Ed

Back in the day STP would always make a worn engine sound more quiet. I suspect worn engines will make less noise with dino, because it thickens with age. I have a lot of family and several friends using M1 and none have never noticed noise with M1.

M1 5w-20 is noisier in my Civic's valve train than M1 0w-20 or M1 0w-30 from the moment it goes in. Regardless of any correlation between valve train noise and valve train wear, I prefer my engine to make less noise. 5w-20 PP, SynPower, Syntec, PYB, QS, FS, and MC are all quiet in comparison.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Here's my Mobil 1 noise story. A few years back I sold my 1982 Alfa Romeo to a friend. I had used Castrol GTX 20W-50 in it exclusively. He changed the oil to Mobil 1 15W-50 when he got home. He called a few days later and asked if I had ever noticed a very slight knocking from the bottom end. I hadn't. He changed the oil back to the GTX and sure enough, the knocking went away. He changed back to the M1 a few days later an the knocking returned. He decided to tear it down for peace of mind. He found that the big end of the #3 rod had been cut improperly and had .0005" taper. We reconditioned the rod and put in a new bearing and all was well.

It is clear that different oils can effect the noises you hear from an engine.

Ed

Switching to a 15W-50 full synthetic from a conventional oil was improper IMO. The viscosity of the conventional oil probably broke down and reduced the apparent viscosity so the 20W-50 was probably barely acceptable, but the full synthetic would maintain the viscosity and damage the engine. If you want to compare two full synthetics, that would be a more fair test.

Maybe the consistency of the synthetic molecules transmits sound at those frequencies better.
Or maybe it is thinner.
It doesn't sound harmful, but if other oils are quieter, why not enjoy them.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I wonder if the oil filter has anything to do with it. Did you use the same filter as last time? I'm with chevrofreak, I don't believe the "noise" with M1...but that's been covered before.

No, I do believe in the noise.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Do you guys here voices when no one is around.

I do...
crazy2.gif
...and they tell me to switch Mobil1 engines to PP...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back