Lots of Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
AA has it for 6.50 a quart. That's pretty close to M1 per quart. The 5 quart jugs are priced high compared to M1 though.

I think you guys should give it a try while it's on sale. Then, decide whether or not it worked for you by doing a UOA or by using the seat test. I only have about 200 miles on the oil and I can say my truck is running smooth but my Toyota likes thin oil. I could probably run GTX 5W20 at 3 to 5k intervals and get the same results but I wanted to try Edge. I used the $10 off coupon at Advance and got 6 quarts for $30 which was a decent price compared to the $11 I paid for another oil. I know you want to try it, so go ahead.

Originally Posted By: Badlees
I know you want to try it, so go ahead.

Yes, but it has to be our idea, not yours. So I'll buy some when I'm good and ready. Probably not for a couple of days.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: Badlees
I know you want to try it, so go ahead.

Yes, but it has to be our idea, not yours. So I'll buy some when I'm good and ready. Probably not for a couple of days.

LOL. Indeed it does.

Why does everyone bag Edge so much, have many of you even tried it ? Then again we talk about Mobil in Australia like you talk about Edge. Mobil are an absolute Rip off. They are on Par here with imported Amsoil. The most they give you is a Williams Racing Team USB key with Hamilton on the advert. Castrol Magnatec is my pain in the arse here, their main advertised product, for a GRoup 1 with a bit of Ester. The Edge range has done very well with the Holden performance scene, and large WRX, Nissan Skyline Community, namely the 5w30 and 10w60.

Gotta be carefull, people bagged Mobil so much, now their big fat Logo is watching down on everyone...... Mobil seems to have improved a lot since that logo appeared. The ratio of Mobil bashing threads has significantly dropped. Personally i have not used the same oil more than twice ever in 200,000k's. Mobil, Penrite, Valvoline, Shell, ULX-110, Fuchs have all been tasted in various forms. And yes i have never used Castrol before, but i was curious as to why no one likes it........

vxcalais, I have run castrol edge 5w-30 in my 2AZ-FE grannybox before. I noticed no real difference from other oils, but it carries awesome specs. It is not ILSAC certified, and it showed in my fuel economy pot being as good as it could.

THats pretty disappointing then from Castrols side to not be ILSAC certified. Mobil, Shell and i assume Valvoline would be.

Is there really much of a difference between feel in oils of the same visco ?

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Why does everyone bag Edge so much, have many of you even tried it ? Then again we talk about Mobil in Australia like you talk about Edge. Mobil are an absolute Rip off. They are on Par here with imported Amsoil. The most they give you is a Williams Racing Team USB key with Hamilton on the advert. Castrol Magnatec is my pain in the arse here, their main advertised product, for a GRoup 1 with a bit of Ester. The Edge range has done very well with the Holden performance scene, and large WRX, Nissan Skyline Community, namely the 5w30 and 10w60.

Gotta be carefull, people bagged Mobil so much, now their big fat Logo is watching down on everyone...... Mobil seems to have improved a lot since that logo appeared. The ratio of Mobil bashing threads has significantly dropped. Personally i have not used the same oil more than twice ever in 200,000k's. Mobil, Penrite, Valvoline, Shell, ULX-110, Fuchs have all been tasted in various forms. And yes i have never used Castrol before, but i was curious as to why no one likes it........

I was doing some reserch on Castrol and according to Wikipedia (i know wiki isnt the word of god)"Castrol branded lubricants continue to be sold around the world and are, in many countries, market leaders." So if this is true which there is not much reason to doubt it, Im sure Castrol makes quality oils. Castrol in the States is on the same level as Soccer. Americans overall really dont care about it. We perfer the NFL, and PP/M1
grin2.gif

If its good enough for Vin Diesel, good enough for me ! Only kidding...... In the U.S you guys are very fortunate, excellent oils and cheap prices, Mobil 1 and Penrite Platinum are very expensive here. Amsoil and Redline are out of reach for most people. Royal Purple is expensive but have bought into some Auto stores shelf space, advertising with car magazines, trying to gain some ground. Same mistake here and in U.S, Royal Purple too expensive. Mobil 1 is too expensive as well, but is easily available, sponsors V8 Supercars Holden teams, and most importantly is a common Factory fill for cars here. Castrol common amongst [censored] cars, Ford and Holden scene, Shell, Euro cars.

Wow! I started reading this thread and it like a almost exact conversaion I had with Castrol only they were not as polite or as nice.I called AND e/mailed Castrol and Valvoline about their new full synthetic ATF.How was it better then all the others(they claimed) and how was it HALF the price of Amsoil and Mobiles synthetic ATF. I got its proprietary from both party's and they wouldn't discuss a thing.My name is David.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
. . . I was doing some research on Castrol and according to Wikipedia . . . "Castrol branded lubricants continue to be sold around the world and are, in many countries, market leaders." So if this is true which there is not much reason to doubt it, Im sure Castrol makes quality oils. Castrol in the States is on the same level as Soccer. Americans overall really dont care about it. We perfer the NFL, and PP/M1
grin2.gif

Actually, you're right on both counts. That said, I like Castrol products. GTX is, IMHO, a first-rate conventional oil. I think the company made a mistake trying to market Edge at what amounted to a $10 premium over other synthetic oils, but -- assuming it doesn't disappear entirely from the U.S. market -- it's fully competitive with M1, etc., at $26 for a 5-qt jug. And, if you can find it now at AutoZone, the $3 discount makes it a really good deal. (Assuming, of course, that you can get past Castrol's dumb advertising campaigns.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I don't think there is a better conventional than GTX. The UOA's of GTX always come back well above par.

I think Castrol now only gets dogged on here because of the Edge commercials and the price of Edge.

I'm not a Castrol fanboy, I run HDEO's of different flavors depending on deals, but I like the whole GTX line up, and the GC 0W-30 is hard to beat in high performance apps.

The GTX range here in OZ is very popular, but as with most oils, still using Group 1 in the mix. Still meeting all new specs though.The GTX 3 is also green for some reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
vxcalais, I have run castrol edge 5w-30 in my 2AZ-FE grannybox before. I noticed no real difference from other oils, but it carries awesome specs. It is not ILSAC certified, and it showed in my fuel economy pot being as good as it could.

If we believe what Castrol says, it is ILSAC certified, see below (an excerpt from product info on their website)

"SAE 5W-30: is the most recommended grade in today’s new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck
manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines
where API SM, SL, SJ or CF is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1/A5, B1/B5; GM 6094M;
GM 4718M; Ford WSS M2C929-A and all requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline
Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards."

I bought 5 quarts lately from Autozone, they will go in to my mazda3 for the next oil change. Currently using PP5w30.

Last edited:
^I was at autozone yesterday, getting some Rotella-T Syn, and noticed that Autozone had 5-quart jugs of Castrol GTX for sale with a free Bosch filter. Was still $18.99. Way cheaper at Walmart for the oil, unless they 'jacked the price up' for the 'free' oil filter, because Bosch filters are like $6.

Just wondering if you got that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back