Status
Not open for further replies.
photo.jpg

For my car:
- 300V 5w-40
- RBF 600 brake fluid
- Multi ATF

For my brother's modded-for-speed Acura Integra:
- 8100 X-Lite 0w-30 (top-off and next OCI)

For a friend's modded-for-MPG Honda Del Sol:
- 8100 Eco-Nergy 5w-30

For another friend's fully prepped E36 M3 race car:
- 300V 15w-50
- Multi ATF
- Gear Competition FF 75w-140
- RBF 600 brake fluid

I've been testing Motul's engine oils for a while. The old X-Max was great; the 300V is awesome. I'm not as impressed with their Dexron III ATF (Red Line D4 was definitely better), but I'm looking forward to trying the Multi ATF. It's 1-2 cSt thicker at 100 degrees C than all the other ATFs I've seen.

My brother's car was running GC before, and the X-Lite 0w-30 has eerily similar viscosity specs. Initial impressions are positive; UOA to come. Should be an interesting comparison.

The Del Sol has the engine from a Civic VX, which was the uber-MPG version that came from the factory with a wideband O2 sensor and a lean burn mode. We're going to see if Motul's fuel economy oriented synthetic makes a difference over good dino 5w-30s.

The race car has a race-built engine putting out 380 hp (NA). 300V 15w-50 should be overkill. I don't think the UOA will be very surprising. However, the transmission only holds 1.25 qts of fluid so it'll be interesting to see how the thick Multi ATF holds up at the track.

Indeed. Flamboyant French lubricants, some of them in pretentious metal cans...

Interesting bottle, can, case arrangement in the photo. Could use photo for computer screen backdrop.

Some of the bottles have huge caps; other bottles have small caps that actually look like there is a sliding top where you can just lift it and squirt some oil out.

Cases look small compared to the bottles.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Interesting bottle, can, case arrangement in the photo. Could use photo for computer screen backdrop.

Some of the bottles have huge caps; other bottles have small caps that actually look like there is a sliding top where you can just lift it and squirt some oil out.

Cases look small compared to the bottles.

Arrangement courtesy of my brother. He likes to do this kind of thing.
LOL.gif

The metal cans in the back are 300V (racing oil tweaked for the street, for those who don't know). The cap has a pair of D-rings that flip up, allowing you to pull out a spout. You then unscrew the cap to pour the oil out. Afterward, you just put the cap back on and press the spout back in. Some olive oil containers have similar kinds of spouts. Not sure what the logic is.

The ones with huge caps are 8100 (full synthetic street oils); X-Lite down the left, Eco-Nergy down the right. The huge mouths make them a bit harder to aim when pouring, but they NEVER glug.

The ones down the middle, 6 ATF and 3 gear oil bottles, look like they have water bottle style "squirt" tops.

Each case contains 12 half-liter bottles of RBF 600.

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
Wow $$$. How much was all this

At full retail, it'd be something like $1350 plus shipping. Most places sell it for less, but it's not cheap. Motul has distributors in the US but all the oil comes from France.

I'm sponsored, so I got it for free. In return, I basically send them UOA data and opinions on various things, answer questions when people ask, and hook up the race car (which will run Motul decals).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
The huge mouths make them a bit harder to aim when pouring, but they NEVER glug.
Oh yeah, glugging is really bad. That's one thing nice about Valvoline with the spout on one edge of the bottle, you pour with the spout edge higher and it never glugs. Glugging often is accompanied with splashing and spillage.

I love these pics. I wish someone's wife, significant other, or neighbor would catch us "arranging the oil for a BITOG photo spread". They would think we've gone looney!

That might come later. I didn't have enough room in the allocation this time around. If these applications produce interesting results, that might change.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
The cap has a pair of D-rings that flip up, allowing you to pull out a spout. You then unscrew the cap to pour the oil out. Afterward, you just put the cap back on and press the spout back in. Some olive oil containers have similar kinds of spouts. Not sure what the logic is.

Total's 5-liter jugs have a similar arrangement. It makes it far easier to pour without the oil splashing about. Another plus is that the dribble of oil you're always having to wipe off the side of the bottle is nonexistent. When you push the spout back into the jug, the oil runs down the side of the spout and ends up back in the jug. Clean, elegant and eminently functional. It's got to be a French thing...

Cheers

I love Motul been using them for a long time now on my shop. Here is a good source of info about the product:

[Motul Multi ATF Sales Link removed]

BTW... about the pic... somebody got bored...

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy old thread, Batman! Well, as long as it's been resurrected, I might as well post some opinions...

300V 5w-40:
Darn good stuff that held up extremely well under serious fuel dilution, although it seemed to have been matched or beaten by RLI 0w-30 in my car. See my UOAs since the time of this post.

RBF 600:
Worked brilliantly in the race car, as expected. No hint of an issue. Too short-lived in my car for street use, though.

Multi ATF:
LOVE this stuff so far. It held up perfectly in the race car, and seems to be doing well in my car in the few thousand miles I've used it.

Not enough info on the rest of the fluids, unfortunately; we just didn't end up doing enough homework on them (good UOAs, temperature/pressure readings, MPG records, etc.) to draw any conclusions worth mentioning.

Regarding switching my Dad's 128i over to Motul once his free maintenance is up, that seems unlikely. Almost everything I've tried from them seems to have been great, but I'm not convinced it's worth the price for a relatively mildly driven street car. If we do switch away from mainstream oil choices, it probably will be to RLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back