Lot number distribution of German Castrol 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't get many posts on this, but here are the data.
code:

4DSC M023386B 784

Patman M023386B 784

4DSC M023386B 784A1

Patman M023386B 784A1

FowVay M023386B TAG785

G-Man M023386B TAG785

Pscholte M023386B TAG785

Tenderloin M030426B T/W0504821

YZF150 M030426B T/W0504821

Looks like Canada, US East Coast and Colorado got one lot.

The second column might be fill lines. "TAG" is German for "Day", too, so I don't know. Perhaps everyone didn't provide all of the alpha characters in the codes.

Significant difference in the second column identifiers might mean that the oil is filled in more than one location, too.

If anyone else with the oil cares to provide numbers, I'll update my table and repost.

If anyone has knowledge about how Castrol lots out their blends, please share.

I'm going on the prowl for more tomorrow...hopefully I can add some meaningful "data to the base."

I for one would love to know how the 9ppm of iron got into GMan's VOA, and if it would affect all the batches, or just a small sampling of them?

Scoured CSprings and found one more case (buried on a pallet) and it was M023386BTAG785 2000 (in other words another from a basic run we have already seen).

okay everyone, heres my Lot# from the one quart that resides in my car for use:

M023386BTAG785 2013

and imprinted on the bottom of the bottle itself is the inscription A-18

ive got about 4 more qts at my parents house and the other 4 that i used on my old 02 protege5 when i changed its oil 5 days before i traded her in(STUPIDLY!! MAN IM SO STUPID!!!) have since been thrown away. But, ill go by another autozone tommorrow or tonite and gett eh Lot#'s as well.

Also, I may just do a proper poll for this but here it goes:

Ive got a sample of German Castrol Syntec sitting behind me on my kitchen counter but it was taken from a drain of 5K miles on a 02 Protege5 2L engine normally aspirated.

My new car is a 00' VW Golf 1.8T 4-door w/ 30K miles on it and is currently running this same oil as well. I have about 1K miels on it now and weill prolly have the other 5K or so that I need by the end of August.

My question to all of you is this:

Would you rather satisfy your craving for information on this oil now and vote for me to send it in (the oil fromt he 02 Pro5) or wait diligently and have yet another sample from a VAG 1.8T using this oil?

Also, what mileage do you want to see it ran to? Note: a 10K mile drain interval is a no-go for me personally but, i will sacrifice a 5K mile interval for longer in the name of science! Let the voting begin!!

Welcome back, Chris.

Send it. Now.

Decide on the other sample after you get these results.

I pulled the following over from another thread. It was posted by Chris (Member #103) and I thought it important that the hardcore German Castrol crowd see it:
quote:

This is somewhat off topic. In my conversation w/ Castrol this AM, I asked about the Syntec 0w30 availability and the rep said that it is here to stay as long as there is a demand for it. She stated that the new ""European Formula" 0w30 as far as she knows will be the only new grade sold here, but as she said, things could change.

It is my thought that since the updated Castrol site has the new European Formula specs i.e ACEA A3 listed for the 0w30, it will continue to be sold here. This may mean that Castrol NA may start to blend it here, but as long as it meets the ACEA A3 spec, I don't care. For a 0w30 to meet this spec, even when blended in NA with NA basestocks, still says to me that there is some promise for positive results. Only time will tell. Oh, and yes the german 0w30 does smell like the original german made gummie bears in the clear and gold plastic packaging from the early 80s.

I have 16 liters. Most (about 12 L) are M023386B784A1 1515. Three are M023386B784A1 1520. One bottle is M030426B T/W1240607 xx24.

xx = Enough room for two digits, but smeared so I can't read them.

Last night I walked into an Autozone intending to buy some German Syntec. They had the yellow labeled ones and they also had red labeled bottles but when I turned the bottle over to read the "Made in Germany" thingie it says Made in North America instead. This is a red labeled bottle. Walked out of the store as fast as I can.
smile.gif
What gives?

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:
Last night I walked into an Autozone intending to buy some German Syntec. They had the yellow labeled ones and they also had red labeled bottles but when I turned the bottle over to read the "Made in Germany" thingie it says Made in North America instead. This is a red labeled bottle. Walked out of the store as fast as I can.
smile.gif
What gives?

The last bit of domestic production DID get the new style Syntec label. If you compare the overall labels on the yellow and red, you'll notice the difference. The German stuff will not only have Made in Germany, it will list several European OEM specs that are not on the domestic red label 0w30.

Thanks for the info G-Man II. In any case I need to find about 5 quarts and soon. I have the german syntec in my engine right now and will be draining it out as soon as I hit about 4000+ miles
grin.gif
. I hope to get a good UOA so I'll find out if I should stick to this oil or find a better one.

Kiko,

My oil supply seems to be sufficient to last well over a year, but maybe there is a Canadian who could use an elixir, which can only be found Stateside? If you post a trade notice perhaps a Canuck will send you German 0w30 for Mobil 1 0w20, or something.

Thanks for the tip Yuk. I'll try that. I still have a lot more miles left on the current oil (right now at 2,800+) but don't want to wait too long to get a fresh batch.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back