Lost my oil change location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Rhino 12k's, not a huge fan but they work. As mentioned, they are hollow on the inside, and flex a bit when I put the Challenger on them- somewhat scary. They are a PITA to use on concrete from my experience- slide like heck (apparently h*ll is censored lol). I have to lay a long 4x4 behind them up against my garage foundation to keep them from sliding. The rubber feet are useless on a smooth surface.

I bought the 12K Rhino Ramps a while back and haven’t had a problem. They even hold my wife’s Grand Caravan. I put them on my asphalt driveway and they never slip. I’m sure slick concrete or gravel would be dangerous, though.

Quote:
... I’m sure slick concrete or gravel would be dangerous, though.

I have a "smooth" finish concrete surface in my garage. 'IME' making sure the ramp rubber foot pad is clean as is the concrete surface especially in that area assures good adhesion to the concrete of the ramps at drive on.

I made my own by stacking four 2 x 12 scraps of wood, much like others posted above. No nee to worry about collapse.

i went the 2x12 route and went 5 boards high with a stop or bump at the end. I made them a little longer at 60" and angled the ends and screwed them together. They are heavy, super simple and $23 in wood. I've seen a cracked Rhino first hand and didn't want to take any chances. The wood doesn't slide on my concrete either. Not perfect or ideal but I trust them and can get low clearance vehicles on them.

I’ve had the 12k Rhino Ramps for probably 3 or 4 years. I really like them. Great for vehicles with low ground clearance, won’t scoot when pulling up on them like the metal ones do, and they seem very sturdy. I always use jack stands too as a fail-safe.

Sounds like the best bet.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
I’ve had the 12k Rhino Ramps for probably 3 or 4 years. I really like them. Great for vehicles with low ground clearance, won’t scoot when pulling up on them like the metal ones do, and they seem very sturdy. I always use jack stands too as a fail-safe.

I use my thirty some year old Craftsman floor jack and then NAPA 2 ton jack stands. Gest Camry high enough to easily access oil drain plug. Be sure to block wheels always. You don't want family member finding you pinned under vehicle. Safety First.

I built my own ramps out of 2 by 12. I have an uneven gravel driveway and worry about a ramp failing and dropping a vehicle on me. Solid, layered 2 by 12 are incredibly strong under compression. I just about lost a hand at age 16 when a car slipped off a bumper jack.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I built my own, and don't worry about collapse.

The base is a 48" long 2x10. On top of that is a 40" 2x8, then a 32" 2x8, then a 24" 2x8, and a 16" 2x8. I have a bump stop on the end, to keep from driving off the wrong edge.

All of it was scrap lumber. I cut the leading edge of all of the boards at a shallow angle as well.
I found that exact ramp in a pile of scrap lumber I harvested from the roadside. It is very useful and perfect for a gravel or tar driveway. I had a steel ramp fold side wise while driving a 3200 lb car up it. Aint gonna happen with one made out of 2x8s

lol i have used my 16k rhinoramps for the past few years for a variety of vehicles, mostly large/heavy stuff, varying from ford escape to crown victoria to several silverados and suburbans. even with my suburban on a not-so-flat surface they haven't broken so idk what y'all are doing.

If someone has an issue with Rhino ramps, it's most likely they are something WRONG! I've been using the same pair for like 20 years, countless times with no problem, although they have changed/improved them since the ones I bought way back when.
The best ramps ever by far, are the 2-piece Race Ramps that are feather light, but not cheap like any good tool. I still use my Rhino's for my DD's oil changes where clearance is not a problem. The long, low angle of approach on the Race Ramps make manual trans cars a breeze to drive up on in compared the Rhino ramps too.

Last edited:
May give the 16k rhino ramps a try for paved driveway/garage changes. How many of you guys use jackstands as a backup? I am thinking of going that route as well as a fail safe as a previous poster stated. Any recommendations on good jackstands for an old 93 s10, 08 santa fe.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
May give the 16k rhino ramps a try for paved driveway/garage changes. How many of you guys use jackstands as a backup? I am thinking of going that route as well as a fail safe as a previous poster stated. Any recommendations on good jackstands for an old 93 s10, 08 santa fe.

You can't ever be too careful, but I've never worried about it with my ramps. I just set the parking brake for something like just an oil change from the front of the vehicle. You still need jack stands for many other tasks though, along with a good floor jack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back