Lost brakes today while driving

Yup, had it happen once...not fun. Diagonally split system is the only thing that probably allowed me to drive the half mile rest of the way home.

Other brake issues I’ve had...frozen caliper on the highway (twice). Not fun. Smelled something, I was like...wow, someone’s car smells like it’s on fire! Then I realized that someone was me. Every time I stepped on the brake pedal the vehicle would sharply drift into another lane. Fought that for a few miles, pulled over at a 99 restaurant, had dinner. Came out and the wheel/brake had finally cooled off - drive 40 miles the rest of the way home (without issue) - and changed the caliper the next day. Happened again a year later (same wheel), pulled over, the wheel was so hot I couldn’t put my hand near it. Changed the caliper when I got home. I’ll tell yeah, after market rebuilt calipers are cheap but they sure aren’t “Great”.

Might be a good idea to spray the new lines with rust protectant.
Fluid Film works pretty good for this...once you apply it you really need to drive on a dirt road and let all of it kind of stick and form a barrier. But it does a nice job overall.

been there done that bought the tea shirt with my 2005 buick century, i was quite a way from home and brake pumping got us home. early morning drop off at dobbs was when total loss happened cost was 200 for new line fluid flush and oil change

So were you changing your own oil and not inspecting the car other wise?

So were you changing your own oil and not inspecting the car other wise?

The lines didn't show any signs of rust. Except for that area that rotted away under the plastic shield. I recently changed out the rear brake pads and everything looked good. I appreciate your thought provoking post.

The brake fluid level light/buzzer failed to come on before catastrophic brake failure occurred?
Not if it's a sudden leak. Lost the brakes on my '79 Impala when someone cut me off. The panic stop created enough pressure that the line blew out. At that point the light came on because there was no fluid left in that part of the brake master cylinder. Split braking helped me to limp home but it was an adventure.

The hole occurred on the inside of a bend on the line. I don't think this was something anyone could have seen prior since the car wasn't leaving fluid anywhere.

Back