Lossless audio music

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a good sound system and you've never heard about/tried lossless audio you owe it to yourself to audition a lossless recording. The difference is not subtle.

An easy source for lossless recordings is Youtube. Use the search terms "lossless music vinyl" or "lossless audiophile music" or "lossless music".

Searching is not easy, as some Youtube links have 40 to 500 songs on the "playlist" .

The lossless FLAC stuff seems like a great way to get original quality to your equipment digitally, with no loss. So much of it is a real treat.

Here is one that is wonderful, cranked up loud, on a great stereo system:

Last edited:
Problem is YouTube does compress their videos/music. However, a lossless copy uploaded to YouTube will still sound far far better than a lossy version.

I can't really tell a difference in the car between lossless and lossy, but with my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's the difference is clear as day.

Originally Posted by Cujet
An easy source for lossless recordings is Youtube. Use the search terms "lossless music vinyl" or "lossless audiophile music" or "lossless music".
I hate to disappoint you, but youtube audio is not lossless. The original that a user uploaded may have been lossless, but once it gets converted by Youtube and ready for others to see, the audio would have already become lossy.

And the fact that you weren't able to discern the difference just proves the point that a high bitrate lossy MP3/AAC sounds as good as lossless format to majority of folks.
smile.gif

https://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p
https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/thread/338369?msgid=348540
https://appuals.com/why-converting-youtube-to-320kbps-mp3-is-a-waste-of-time/

If you want lossless, get a TIDAL or Amazon Music HD subscription.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Problem is YouTube does compress their videos/music. However, a lossless copy uploaded to YouTube will still sound far far better than a lossy version.

Yes, Youtube does alter the file a bit, seems not to matter. It's still superb and clear. Try it on a good system.

Aging Audiophile Ken here.

Youtube is a very heavily compressed, lossy file comparable to a mid bit rate MP3 file.
It was recently 128kbs mp4 AAC.

More listenable with open music production without a lot going one

I like poking around listening to guys vinyl rigs to hear differences between phono stages and TT and cartidges and stylus shapes.

Even though I cant hear much above 7khz any more - there is still a lot to be hear from the upper mids on down.

Often the diff is great enough to hear in the compressed file.

Now, This guy has a nice upper midfi rig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yYbtXAUEEc

the next guy is a Brit with a great vinyl system with a broadcast rim drive TT, top Graham Slee phono stage and nice cart and stylus.

Those rims drive really maintain a good momentum and pace v. even a good belt

I understand gear has come a long way, but I just can't get away from my ol systems.
I rotate my gear on a fairly routine basis (every few months) and right now what's in is a custom built 2A3 tube amp, JVC QL-A7 TT... oh wait!... not all of my TT cartridges are old. Oh well...

Originally Posted by Errtt
I understand gear has come a long way, but I just can't get away from my ol systems.
I rotate my gear on a fairly routine basis (every few months) and right now what's in is a custom built 2A3 tube amp, JVC QL-A7 TT... oh wait!... not all of my TT cartridges are old. Oh well...

2a3 nice.

You using an efficient paper coax in an infinite baffle box?

or maybe a University or Altec 604 co-ax?

i worked for bell labs for a couple decades,, I missed grabbing the Western Electric westrex 300B tube amps from the auditorium when they "upgraded" it to garbage equipment.

I didn't have the room in my apartment for the A7 voice of the Theaters
smile.gif

- Ken

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Yes, Youtube does alter the file a bit, seems not to matter. It's still superb and clear. Try it on a good system.

Yeah, man I've been poking around youtube for a couple years some real good stuff out there
a real treasure trove.

High Five!

- Ken

Originally Posted by dave123
I'd just like to know what makes a great system its a interesting subject.

Well, my system certainly is not "great", at best, it's acceptable and fun to listen to. It's down on power (125wpc) and really needs 600wpc to drive my (very power hungry) speakers.

I know what I like and what sounds great to me. I like lots of clean power. I like tight sounding floor standing speakers in sealed enclosures, with silk dome tweeters and proper equalization to account for the natural low frequency roll off. Coupled with a sealed sub.

What I actually have are Polk RTia9 speakers which are floor standing, but they are ported, don't have any bass at all, and are certainly not tight sounding down low. Bass drums don't hit hard, they sound muddy. But at least they were not terribly expensive and the sub mostly makes up for the lack of bass.

Technics 1210 MK5 turntable. Works pretty well. It's not audiophile grade, but it's robust, silent and won't generate feedback in my room.

Last edited:
Lol YouTube audio is very compressed... So just because what was uploaded was lossless doesn't mean it is now that it's on YouTube.

Originally Posted by dave123
I'd just like to know what makes a great system its a interesting subject.

Put simply: Good gear. I have a "great" set of speakers, I have a "great" amp. But they aren't together because my "decent" speakers sound better in our big room (living room) than them and are far more tolerant of being fed material that isn't of the best quality. Of course what constitutes great/good/acceptable...etc is all relative. My main speakers are a set of Paradigm Monitor 11's, which were the top speaker in Paradigm's lowest tier of speakers, they have (or had) two tiers above them. They are decent speakers in the sense they are clear, produce tight sound, excellent imaging, very full range and go incredibly loud. They are a little too warm if you are a purist; they colour the music a bit, but with what I listen to, this isn't a bad thing. My "great" speakers are a set of vintage B&W 802 S3's, which were their top of the line speaker. Their currently equivalent, the 802 D3 are $22K a pair, which is actually quite reasonable compared to other speakers, including their new Nautilus series, which are $60K. These are true reference-grade speakers and are what were used at Abbey Road. They are incredibly unforgiving when fed garbage; you'll hear every imperfection as their sound reproduction is absolutely superb, so they will equally delight when fed something of quality.

The amp driving the Paradigms is an older Bryston 4B which I had completely refreshed at Bryston, who are local. It's a dedicated 2-channel amp 270W/channel @ 8ohms. I used this to drive the B&W's originally and will likely pick up a 4B3 at some point and move the 4B back to the B&W's.

Pre-amp for analog content is a PS Audio unit, which has a lovely phono stage. My record player isn't anything special, just an old Aurex (Toshiba) SR-Q200 direct-drive unit which sounds surprisingly good. When I had that setup hooked up to the B&W's it was... interesting. It was very easy to discern recording quality and it made some stuff hard to listen to. I have an original UK pressing of Metallica's LOAD album which is absolutely brilliant; the best sounding vinyl I own, it absolutely came alive through the B&W's, the detail, the clarity, the depth, it was incredible. My repress of Ride the Lightning sounded like garbage. Flat, harsh...etc. You play the same stuff through the Paradigms, while LOAD still sounds incredible, Ride the Lightning sounds good, as does MoP and some other stuff. So that's why I have things configured the way I do.

Since you guys are name dropping...
Creek integrated, Monitor Audio Silvers and Velodyne sub.
I think I had a high end Sony CD player; don't remember.
For the $$, this is a superb sounding audio system.
These speakers reproduce the human voice better than anything I have ever heard...
Gotta have a clean signal.

Unfortunately I only use the Monitor Audios nowadays on the home theater.
Maybe I should plug something back in...

I wish I had my own place or a house not attached to a condo, I'd have a rocking system like you guys. Until then, I'm very content with my Sennheisers 598SE and Creative Zx listening on Tidal and Google music.

My main gear is Fisher 504 from 1973. Had a couple of Marantz es but I like the Fisher. It's nothing like the beauty of the Marantz designs, though, but the sound is better

And yes, the lossy v. Lossless is quite noticeable.

I do FLACs

^^agree YouTube is not lossless, no way but Im sure better then the standard stuff.

Interesting subject, I thought I was one of the few who really cared about the "downgrading" of audio sound since the invention of MP3s
At the same time, to truly have lossless takes a commitment and money.

There are some streaming services now that are close to lossless, maybe much in the same way as "lossless" Youtube type sound. I almost went with one but decided to go with a free couple month test of Apple Music, definitely not close to CD quality but I dont know, maybe its in my head, certainly sounds better then your standard MP3 or free music streaming.
Im just getting back into music (for lack of better words)
I was going to go with Tital High Fidelity Streaming but their dysfunctional website (was not off to a good start)would not give me a free 3 month offer that I had and tried to give me one month and why I ended up with Apple Music for a free 4 month trial.

Dont trash me, I am not saying Apple Music is close to CD or lossless but I will say I do strongly think is is a cut above your typical free streaming and will only get better in time if competition heats up they have the money to improve it. I have researched the subject and Apple does offer a slight edge over most others and form what I understand a tie with even more others. The only other choice after that seems to be Tital and well, Im not doing it.

I am having an issue finding low cost on ear headphones and also in ear plugs with a NICE, FLAT FREQUENCY RESPONSE.
Seems no matter what the cost, high or low, EVERYTHING is enhanced bass, drives me nuts! I do not want the headphone makers altering the sound of the artist, to me, all it does is screw things up BUT I do understand, that is what Joe Public wants or the darn things would not sell.

I have found some of the low cost ones that do not advertise low bass sound more neutral then much more costly!
Im too embarrassed to tell you what brand I just bought for on ear. Just trying them out for fun but may keep them.

I seen mention of Sennheisers in here, Im a fan of them, current over the ears pair I have are getting on in years, forgot model but look at me as more of a value investor of electronics. With that said honestly the over ear are too large for what I want them for as well, but one thing they do not do is overpower the midrange with bass, I just think its almost a lost cause trying to find an honest flat response headphone anymore if the company wants to stay in business, the public demands bass, no matter how inaccurate it is from the artist.

Gosh, go back a couple decades and the true experts in audio would freak out over how sound is degraded and manipulated from what the artist produced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back