Loss of AC refrigerant when outside temps drop to -40

2018. They just kept throwing parts at it to get it out of warranty. Now that it's out of warranty, it's my problem.
Id be on the phone with Subaru. That is ridiculous. My moms 19 year old Dodge Caravan has ice cold ac and has never been touched (suprises me, though it has no rear climate control, that helps), so does our 16 year old Toyota.

My Jeep Cherokee went 17 years on the original AC system. Due to a mistake I made, it would otherwise still have working AC. It's a known issue on these cars, but at this point it just needs everything.

Subaru of America says they'll cover it but I can't get anything in writing.

My 2000 Taurus went to the wrecking yard with cold AC. It saw lots of -30 F weather, but only had to run in July and August. At the end, if you made five stops in 90 C weather and shut off the engine to go into a store, it would stop cooling unless you took it out for a highway run.

I have wondered about that on my cars that sit all winter. I did used to have a 1980 Gmc pickup that was a use it only when I had something to haul, that would sit for long periods during the winter, and the A/C always worked fine on it for all the many years I had it. But it never sat for maybe a couple months at a time without being driven. Now I have a 98 mustang that I stopped using it in October, and not planning to run it again till maybe April. Should I drive it sometime when there is some nice weather now, and get it well warmed up and even use the A/C???
It does sit in my attached garage that never gets below freezing in there, rarely below 45f actually if that makes a difference.
It was more of an issue with R-12 than R-134a.

The issue makes sense. most things shrink when cold.

Back