Losing M1 5W-30 while racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed a tendency for M1 5W-30 to get burned off while racing?

I made a good 11 passes at the track yesterday (44F-48F) and this morning the oil was low by 1/8 to 1/4 of a quart.

When I made 7 passes last summer (90F temperature) with dino Chevron Supreme, I didn't lose a drop of oil.

The only thing different about the engine is that I went to a set of aftermarket camshafts for a Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 (12,800 miles - bought new in 2000).

Yeah metro, your vic sucks. That's why you're burning oil. =)

You're not just cross posting, you're cross board posting the same questions. =)

Since you're basically driving 4 miles under WOT you're going to get a little consumption. I'm not sure if the higher lift on the cams has anything to do with it.

Try something a little thicker like the M1 5W40 or Amsoil 10W30. WOT operation is a lot different than just cruising.

People who drive their LS1s hard while using M1 5w30 or 10w30 usually report a lot of oil burning, and even though it's a problem with the LS1 in general, they often find when they switch to another oil that is thicker, the consumption goes down a lot. I have a friend with a 98 Camaro that used to burn 1 liter every 5000km when using M1 5w30, and I convinced him to run GC 0w30 and now he reports he uses almost no oil at all between changes! (and he's been stretching it a little further than 5000km now too)

I have been unable to find any GC in my area - are there any stores that would definitely carry it?

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I have been unable to find any GC in my area - are there any stores that would definitely carry it?

So far it's only in Autozone, although I think people in Michigan have had a hard time finding it. If you went across the border to Windsor though, and popped into any Walmart, you'll have no problem finding it there.

metro, I really think that Mobil 1's consumption issues are related to its thinness ... letting it slip past the rings or maybe even valve seals of your 4.6L.

My Dad's 2000 Merc has the same motor. Just starting to use a little oil at the 65,000 mile mark. Even now, with Chevron Supreme.

--- Bror Jace

Well, a good number of Michigan Autozones definitely carry it, I've bought it in Hillsdale, MI, and in one of the Lansing area Autozones (Can't remember which one).

Another alternative would be M1 0w40, it should lessen consumption over the 5w30.

Or even Amsoil 5w30, considering you're a dealer Metroplex!

metro, everyone knows you should only be racing with M-1 R 0-30...

Forget increasing the viscosity...
cheers.gif

Jason:

I ran at Ubly (albeit only 2 passes) with M1 5W-30 at similar temperatures and didn't lose engine oil.

I ran at Island (7 passes at 92F+) with Chev Supreme 5W-30 and didn't lose engine oil.

The only major change between these 2 runs and the recent run was the fact I installed aftermarket cams. I can't see how it'd directly consume more engine oil... but that's the only major physical difference.

quote:

Absolutely. Different motor and different conditions, but my turbo Miata drinks anything other than M1 15w50. I thought that the 0w40 would be cool; never again!

I have an 88 IROC Camaro with the 305 LB9 engine. I run M1 5W-30 and I burn about a quart every 500 miles or so. The engine has about 150k miles on it. This is with normal street driving, very little WOT.

Since the engine doesn't leak at all, it's gotta be burning it. I'm wondering if it's the rings or the valve stem seals. And if there is something different I could run that would reduce consumption, like maybe a 5-40?

quote:

Originally posted by Tremo:
And if there is something different I could run that would reduce consumption, like maybe a 5-40?

At that rate of consumption I'd start using M1 15w50 as top up oil to see if you can slow the usage; if so, next change swap over to that alone.

Best,
Robert

quote:

I made a good 11 passes at the track yesterday (44F-48F) and this morning the oil was low by 1/8 to 1/4 of a quart.

When I made 7 passes last summer (90F temperature) with dino Chevron Supreme, I didn't lose a drop of oil.

The only thing different about the engine is that I went to a set of aftermarket camshafts for a Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 (12,800 miles - bought new in 2000).

M1 15w-50
M1 15w-50
M1 15w-50

Don't be "put off" by the viscosity printed on the label...give it a try and I believe you'll be very impressed. Much better protection and much lower oil consumption.

I topped it off with some Mobil Drive Clean 5W-30, anyone see any harm in adding a pinch of Mobil Dino 5W-30 w/ M1 5W-30?

quote:

Since the engine doesn't leak at all, it's gotta be burning it. I'm wondering if it's the rings or the valve stem seals. And if there is something different I could run that would reduce consumption, like maybe a 5-40?

Tremo,

Go to a 15w-40 at least. You will save a fortune by not topping up the oil all the time.
grin.gif
If you are using M1, the 15W-50 would be the ducks nuts.

Dave

[ April 16, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

quote:

I topped it off with some Mobil Drive Clean 5W-30, anyone see any harm in adding a pinch of Mobil Dino 5W-30 w/ M1 5W-30?

Metro,

Not to be an @ss, but:

Step #1: Disregard anyone telling you that you need a low-vis. oil or you'll destroy the top-end in that OHC 4.6 engine of yours by running such a "thick" oil.
#2: Dump the 5w-30 mix that is in there now.
#3: Take off old filter.
#4: Put on K&N filter...best COTS widely-available filter around in regards to flow.
#5: Fill with M1 15w-50.
#6: Have fun...and that's an order!

Oh, and seven...let us know how it all works out.

Follow my "directions" and you'll be set!

[ April 16, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back