Losing 2 MPG after change to MaxLife??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like Topic says I changed my 106k mile Jeep 4.0L Cherokee. I put 10w30 MaxLife in it after running 5w30 and 10w30 standard Valvoline in it for the first 106k miles. i used 5w30 when the Jeep was newer less than 50k miles after the first 50k I switched to 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer. My main problem is I was getting 300 miles to a tankful and it was taking about 15-16 gallons to fill up about 19-20 miles to the gallon well I am now only getting about 17-18 MPG.

What gives the only thing that changed was the Oil.

colder weather lately? the temps have dropped like a bucket in the past week or two here.

Yeah the cold weather could make a difference but it was about 35-40 out when I changed it and I just clocked 297 miles on that tankful before I changed it so it was cold out when I logged that tankful on the regular Valvoline. Also I drive 25 miles to and from work everyday all non stop highway miles. I work right off the highway and I live right off the higway. LOL

I use Citgo gas and I did all last winter and never noticed a drop in fuel mileage. Unless they changed it for this year. Also I am in South Eastern IN.

quote:

Originally posted by BadBirdLT1:

What gives the only thing that changed was the Oil.

If winter gas is ruled out I put my money on that the All Climate oil was sheared to a 20wt during the interval you was checking your mileage and now you have a healthy 30wt in there and the Maxlife is heavier at 40c as well .

Shearing to a 20wt seems typical of the All Climate 10/30 from the UOA's posted here and there .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back