Los Angeles just opened a really beautiful be bridge- craziness ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
LA just opened a really fancy bridge. Thousands of led lights, the bridge is reported to be really nice to look at.

Shortly after opening the bridge, lots of activities the bridge was not made for are happening, forcing the bridge to be closed for the fourth time in recent days. My take, people are doing "stunts" for social media.

LOS ANGELES -- The newest bridge in Los Angeles, a $588-million architectural marvel with views of the downtown skyline, opened to great fanfare on July 10. It has already been closed, to great dismay, several times since then amid chaos and collisions.

The 6th Street Viaduct — which soars over the concrete-lined Los Angeles River to connect downtown to the historic Eastside — quickly became a hotspot for street racing, graffiti and illegal takeovers that draw hundreds of spectators to watch drivers perform dangerous stunts in their vehicles.
Social media stunts have abounded as well — in one case, a man sat in a barber's chair for a haircut in the middle of the lanes. And the crashes are piling up, including a three-car collision where one driver, who had been part of a street takeover, left his white Dodge Challenger and ran from the scene. He later turned himself in.

This bridge replaced the previous Sixth street bridge which was old, and not up to Earthquake standards. There was also illegal street racing on the old bridge, but not to the extent that the new one has.

It should be noted there were many car commercials filmed on the old Sixth street bridge.

OLD bridge-(First two phots)

Last edited:
I haven't seen any real "street racing" on the bridge, just people doing burnouts and side shows. That being said, the LA news media seems to equate side shows with "street racing." FWIW I firmly believe they should be able to block off both ends of the bridge when one of the side shows is going on and tow/impound/crush every car involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back