Loosing my mind šŸ˜… LL-01 0w30 equivalent

LX 0W-30 does not say "MB 229.5" on the bottle. It says "MB 229.51" which is the low SAPS equivalent. Has Canada moved over to ultra low sulfur gasoline yet? If so, it's fine for you to use it, IMO.

Actually, I am thinking that 229.51 is to keep the sulphur content of the motor oil low so it is compatible with regulations where low sulphur gasoline is used as well as matching the emissions equipment of the particular vehicle. This would be to keep sulphur emissions out of the EGR vapour. You can still use the oil in any jurisdiction, with gasoline of any sulphur content. Any oil experts disagree with that?

Last edited:
Canadaā€™s sulphur limit in gasoline is 12 mg/kg which I believe is the same as 12 ppm. They donā€™t seem to use the term Ultra Low Sulphur in the official wording in the laws as far as I can tell.

Itā€™s basically the SOPUS equivalent yes. Still you have to jump through hoops at FCP euro to make it a good value proposition.
My how things change (I missed the whole Castrol -> Sopus transition...yeah, I see it was a few years ago)

Hey,
I have 6qt of bottles you have and one old orange one with LL01. I think since 2016 nothing has changed (LL01 is dropped bcs. BMW updated LL01). It is UP TO 50% PAO, and again, pour point indicates a lot of PAO.
But I would not lose any sleep if you go different oil. Mobil1 0W40? Castrol 0W40? Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40? I think they are all exceptional oils. I still think 0W30 is most interesting, but I would agree that difference is not as it was some 15 years ago or 10.
Also, seriously consider BMW TPT 5W30 as an option!
LOL so I changed my oil to 0w30 Pennzoil Euro LX with a MANN filter so far I cant tell the difference from the oem 0w30 LL-01-FE dealer oil , one small thing I did notice is fuel economy is down to 14.2 from where it use to be at 13.6 so that number increased not sure if I should be concerned and revert back to dealer oil , also since Iā€™ve been reading a lot I found one of your old posts discussing HTHS from dealer oil and Pennzoil Pure Plus technology oil , just wanted to know if you could explain HTHS a bit , Iā€™m trying to avoid putting in something detrimental to the n55

View attachment 35861
found this on an old forum you posted on however the 0w30 euro lx I put in doesnā€™t meet the 229.5 MB standard in fact it only meets 229.51 and 229.52 which isnā€™t the same thing so confused again šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
MB229.5=Full SAPS oil
MB229.51=Low-Mid SAPS
MB229.52= Low-Mid SAPS with more stringent oxidation requirement compared to MB229.51.

All are basically same, just MB229.51/52 are made for vehicles with after treatment equipment (DPF/GPF). Initially these oils were not used in North America in gasoline engines due to high sulfur in gas. However, in Europe they were. Now that North America is using low sulfur gasoline, one can use these oils in their gasoline engines.
So, Euro LX will do good in gas engine, maybe cut OCI 2k, and you are good.
For direct injection engines MB229.51/52 are better choice. You have direct injection engine. It is better choice as long as you (just in case) cut OCI to 5-7.5k miles (7,500 to 10,000km) instead of 10K miles (16,000km).

You are the goddamn MAN !!!, so when you say OCI by 2k what does that mean lol whatā€™s OCI ahahaha , my oil change interval is either 6 months or 5000KMā€™s
OCI=Oil Change Interval.
5,000km is overkill! You can go 7,500km easily, maybe 10, 000km. No need for 6 months 5,000km. Waste of money unless you go and track your car.

OCI=Oil Change Interval.
5,000km is overkill! You can go 7,500km easily, maybe 10, 000km. No need for 6 months 5,000km. Waste of money unless you go and track your car.
Lol does it count if I do a few spirited straight runs for. 0-100 or 0-80 lol šŸ˜‚ really even when I had dealer oil I would change every 6months or 5000kms someone told me a long time ago oil that stays inside a motor longer then that begins to loose protective properties so the fear kinda forces me to change my oil earlier not to mention now that Iā€™m using Pennzoil which isnā€™t LL-01 itā€™s kinda messed with my head a bit šŸ¤£

OCI=Oil Change Interval.
Also Iā€™m just curious but how do you know so much , Iā€™ve been through countless threads and youā€™ve always provided input , is oil in your line of work ?

One year or 10k km is very safe interval for that engine and oil. You can change more often if it makes you feel better but there is no real point in terms of engine longevity.

Edy knows so much because he is really old šŸ¤£šŸ‘

Also Iā€™m just curious but how do you know so much , Iā€™ve been through countless threads and youā€™ve always provided input , is oil in your line of work ?
There are bunch of people here who know more than I do. There is a lot of information about all this here. When you have time just search for it. But, do not overthink too much. This is oil forum, we discuss needle in haystack issues.

@edyvw has provided you with good information, he knows his stuff and you can take his advice without tossing and turning at night.

Walmart oils/Canadian Tire oils for your car to use: Pennzoil 5w40 Eurox LX and L. Mobil 1:0w40 and ESP. Castrol: 5w40.
If you want to blow money and not care about differences in oil no matter how small they may be go buy some Redline oil, Schaffers, Motul or Amsoil.

The stuff from Canadian tire and Walmart should be more than enough to satisfy your needs and you can buy it on sale.

Back