Loose Shaft on Small Fan Motor (photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the weekend, my 28yr old Amana microwave oven made a racket when I turned it on. Sounded like something rubbing against something else. Later when I pulled it apart, I found a small A/C fan motor positioned vertically with a small plastic squirrel cage blower on top and a smaller 4-blade fan blade on the other side.

I pulled the motor apart to lube the bushings and noticed that I can push the shaft all the way through and out from the rotor! Never seen that before. I found two indentions close together on the shaft that perhaps held circlips? Not sure how these would work.

What's going on now is that the shaft is slipping so badly due to its loose coupling with the rotor that only a fraction of the motor torque is being transferred to the two blowers. Dam odd...

IOW, I can power it up, hold on to the motor shaft and the rotor will spin all by itself!

I found this on the motor nameplate:
G1 A9TC 29030-17F 9321
120V-60HZ 1.9A
TP CLF 2.3LRA
C-87932-3MT TPL

The 'G1' could also be a 'GI' as it's just a short, vertical line. No joy on a web-search for this part. Comes up no hits.

Any small A/C motor guys out there? Tomorrow, I'm going to take it to a old-time HW store where several old guys hang out and ask them if they recognize it.

IMG_7311_zpsbf843869.jpg

IMG_7312_zps70e706b0.jpg

IMG_7313_zps90ef6702.jpg

Missing my microwave.....

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Only on BITOG
smile.gif

Only a few days before Thanksgiving!

P.S. Should have mentioned I lubed the bushings with HM M1 10w-30...ooops.

looks like a Topco motor to me.

While I don't have any specifics on this said motor, maybe you can shop around/ask around appliance repair store to see if they happen to have a replacement topco motor with similar shaft to replace this one.

Good luck.

Q.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Only on BITOG
smile.gif

...can you post a picture of a part from some random machine such as a bread machine, airplane toilet, or battery powered elephant repeller and resonably expect that someone will know what it is.
Only a few days before Thanksgiving!
Yes, BITOG is something to be thankful for.

Originally Posted By: Quest
looks like a Topco motor to me.
An intelligent reply. Thanks! I may get lucky at WW Grainger.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
can you post a picture of a part from some random machine such as a bread machine, airplane toilet, or battery powered elephant repeller and resonably expect that someone will know what it is.

Hey smart-[censored], I believe Quest counts as someone plus he's clearly smarter than you. If you don't have anything positive to add, why reply at all? Just to prove your ignorance? You've done that, now run along....

While you're at it, learn to read. I never asked "What is this?" I already know: It's an 110VAC fan motor out of a microwave.

You Can Lead a Horse to Water, But You Can't Make Him THINK!

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I've seen that before, but not on a small motor.

We bought a used motor for an EV conversion. It took a long time, many changes to our motor controller, multiple coupler designs, and a replacement transmission to figure out that the rotor was spinning on the shaft while going up hills or accelerating hard.

There is a special Locktite formulation for exactly this application. I think that it was green.
You probably won't need a big press for a motor that small. And you could probably get away with using any thread locking compound that you have handy.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
That's a part number C8793203

There is one on ebay

yep a mere 70$ ouch.

Generically, that's a C-Frame motor. They vary in lamination stack height, shaft diameter and length. But searching C-Frame motors may be another course.

Might be able to find a local replacement at a commercial equipment supplier. Amana makes the microwaves (aka cueing ovens) for McDonald's, and most parts are available. Or an electric motor rebuilder may have one too.

Like someone here said there is a loctite product for securing loose shafts in a bore. We use it all the time at work where I am a machinist to secure shafts that can sometimes transmit several horsepower. There is really nothing special about that motor, it is a simple shaded pole motor. If you have a local grainger you may be able to bring it in and have them match it up for you. The loctite # is 680 and is available from stanley supply for $16.54 if you want to give it a try. It is permanent so make sure you get the shaft where you want it before it cures or you will be SOL. Also there is a place called repair clinic dot com that has all kinds of appliance parts, you maybe able to find it there. Hope this helps. According to this site they have them is stock for $29. http://usaappliances.maxkiner.com/taxonomy/term/189/0

Last edited:
can you post a picture of a part from some random machine such as a bread machine, airplane toilet, or battery powered elephant repeller and resonably expect that someone will know what it is.

Hey smart-[censored], I believe Quest counts as someone plus he's clearly smarter than you. If you don't have anything positive to add, why reply at all? Just to prove your ignorance? You've done that, now run along....

While you're at it, learn to read. I never asked "What is this?" I already know: It's an 110VAC fan motor out of a microwave.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Ease up on yonyon... I'm quite sure he had no ill intent with his post, it's not in his nature. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen much, if any negative come from him- it's just his sense of humor... He was just making light of the fact that we have such a diverse base of knowledge and helpful members.

Thanks to the guys here, a google search shows the motor available for $50 with free shipping.

I interpreted Yon yons post as a compliment: "Only on BITOG......can you post a picture of a part from some random machine......and reasonably expect that someone will know what it is......BITOG is something to be thankful for."

A quick fix might be to remove the shaft, deform it, then push it back into the rotor. By deform, I mean to punch it with a center punch numerous times or squeeze it with some good sharp regular pliers around the shaft to deform the metal so that it becomes a press fit into the rotor.

As silly as it sounds, JB weld is an excellent epoxy for electric motor repair. As it withstands heat better than most commericial epoxies. And, better than most forms of loctite. With the possible exception of "high heat" loctite.

In fact, a quick view of JB Weld's specifications put it on par with some current aerospace adhesives.

If you need an "emergency repair", use the standard JB Weld, and let it cure for at least 24 hours before use.

Last edited:
I am having similar problem with my bathroom exhaust fan. The plastic fan starts slipping around the shaft. I must have tried lots and lots of different solutions. None worked for more than a week. The current one has me using lots of JB Weld epoxy. It has been only few days. Ask me in few months if it is working.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Ease up on yonyon... I'm quite sure he had no ill intent with his post, it's not in his nature. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen much, if any negative come from him- it's just his sense of humor... He was just making light of the fact that we have such a diverse base of knowledge and helpful members.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh and took his comment in a way not intended. Even with waders on, the Bravo Sierra from smart-[censored] lately has just been a bit too much. Seems everywhere I turn lately, I encounter idiots. The signal I'm intersted in is lost in the noise floor. Obviously it's made me a bit touchy! My apologies to YY.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
That's a part number C8793203
There is one on ebay

How did you arrive at that from C-87932-3MT? Fortunately, you're correct as I had no luck with the C-87... number.

I figured someone here would know more about this and I was right. Thanks for providing a part number that resulted in multiple hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back