Looks like Silicon but I don't know???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Is here on off-topic area right?

I part my laptop adaptor out to fix bad connection problem. The wires were resoldered and it works as normal. After fixed the wire I can not find the look-like silicone. The gray color stuff was between the wires. I guess the stuff works for proventing electric shocks among those components. Can you guys tell what the gray stuff is? I look like normal silicone. Also please let me know where I can get that?

Here is pic.
Adaptor.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Use Hot-Glue or RTV Silicone... Will do the same job IMO and I have fixed many electronics with it.
thumbsup2.gif

I did study Computer Engineering and although this isn't the "technical" stuff to use it will do just fine.

Last edited:
Is really ok to use the Hot-glue from a glue gun? I am worring about electric shocks or something. Also I am studying electrical engineering but I don't know anything about those kind stuff yet.

Thanks.

It's not the "official" stuff to use but I have insulated many components with the stuff and it worked great with no electric shock to the user.
wink.gif

I've been a couple of electronic stores like Kirby risk. They sent me to Radio shack which does not have those stuff. As I mentioned at first, I would like to know the name of product, so I can look it up on the web or local store.

Thanks.

I would only use silicone if I had a whistling/buzzing component or a high tension joint (which you don't).
They probably added the silicone to a rattling AC line choke in your pics. No silicone is required anywhere in that supply if the choke didn't make any noise (IMHO).....

Normal silicone RTV has acetic acid [vinegar]. This is not the best for copper wires, and you should use the other type.
Will it make a difference? They say it does, so avoid the vinegar smelling stuff.
It will both insulate and offer vibration resistance.

It's a special silcone, more than likely made by Mitsubishi Chemical, Sony Chemical, Sumitomo Chemical or Hitachi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back