Looks like Porsches may have a battery problem

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Lots of interesting info regarding their very short warranty and problems.

I wonder if this may plague the entire 800V lineup?

From crap story:
A REMARKABLY SHORT WARRANTY
An apparent hint of Porsche’s challenges with the Taycan’s battery could be seen in the warranty for the all-electric sports car, which happens to be one of the lowest on the market with just 60,000 km or three years if following conditions (Porsche Warranty Requirements) are not met:

Vehicles standing longer than two weeks supposed to be connected to a charger

• Customers must assure that the Taycan’s state of charge remains between 20% – 50%
  • Customers must make sure that their Taycan is not exposed to continuous sunlight
Vehicles standing longer than two weeks not connected to a charger

• Customers must charge the Taycan’s battery before to 50%
  • Customers must check every three months and assure SoC remains at or above 20%
  • Customers must assure that their vehicle’s temperature is between 0C – 20C
While 160,000 km is an average battery warranty in the industry, Porsche confirmed to me the 100,000 km lower, 60,000 km warranty and its restrictions.

Reality:
A lithium-ion battery is subject to physical and chemical ageing, as well as wear and tear. This reduces the battery capacity, depending on the usage pattern and environmental conditions, resulting in a reduction in range and an increase in charging times as the battery ages. Due to the effect of temperature on battery and charging performance, as well as battery life, please consider the following when parking, driving and charging your car:

If possible, avoid permanent ambient temperatures of over 30°C, such as prolonged parking in direct sunlight.

If you cannot avoid ambient temperatures of over 30°C when stationary, connect the vehicle to the mains supply after use and charge the high-voltage battery with AC (alternating current) to a maximum charge status of 85%.

If the car is left stationary for more than two weeks, the ambient temperature should, if possible, be between 0°C and 20°C and the battery charge status maintained between 20% and 50% during this time.
For the shortest possible charging time, a battery temperature of approx. 30°C to 35°C is ideal.

If charging the car on a daily basis, the maximum charge status of the high-voltage battery should be set to approx. 80%.

And:

Porsche Taycan Warranty​

The Porsche Taycan comes with the same great warranty coverage and benefits as all other Porsche, in addition to an 8-year/100,000 miles warranty for the battery. Porsche Taycan warranty coverage and benefits include:

• 4 year / 50,000 miles (80,000 km) warranty for all new vehicles
  • 12-year long-life warranty against rust perforation in the bodyshell
  • Porsche Roadside Assistance
  • Porsche handbook app

You actually believe any of that tripe? Porsches warranty is available online. You should read it.

Post the link so we can.

This part is what interesting -

if following conditions (Porsche Warranty Requirements) are not met:

Vehicles standing longer than two weeks supposed to be connected to a charger

• Customers must assure that the Taycan’s state of charge remains between 20% – 50%
  • Customers must make sure that their Taycan is not exposed to continuous sunlight

It is your word against their word when **** hit the fan. Depending on the reputation of the company I would either trust they would do the right thing or tries to weasel their way out of a legit claim unless a lawyer is involved.

BTW how is Porsche's reputation on warranty claim? 4 year 50k miles is kind of short no matter EV or not. Can't they at least give you 5 years 60k or let you buy extended warranty to 8 years 100k?

Found it.

Looks like the recommendations are accurate to the manual -

no word about reduced warranty in these condition apply which look pretty easy to violate.

The ambient temp requirement of 0-20C isnt a wide window. I couldn't meet that requirement garaged in the summer.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 9.56.40 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 9.56.54 PM.jpg

0C to 20C being ambient? Where are these clowns? Didn't they remember the "room temp" in scientific experiments being 20-27C? I know German engineers like to blame customers but come on, this "you are not storing the cars right" is ridiculous, almost like the 10w60 engine oil.

They better not deny any warranty because of it, or the dealers in many places will likely get sued for selling customers the wrong thing.

0C to 20C being ambient? Where are these clowns? Didn't they remember the "room temp" in scientific experiments being 20-27C? I know German engineers like to blame customers but come on, this "you are not storing the cars right" is ridiculous, almost like the 10w60 engine oil.

They better not deny any warranty because of it, or the dealers in many places will likely get sued for selling customers the wrong thing.

You cant park the car disconnected anywhere outside in the summer or winter for 2 weeks and not violate the warranty.

Porsche - has been pretty good historically with warranty, at least to my buddies that have them.

Lots of interesting info regarding their very short warranty and problems.

I wonder if this may plague the entire 800V lineup?

Better change the title as it doesn't specify (if true) that it's only plug-in hybrids. Disregard this comment! it was made in error!

Other than the oddly narrow temp range the storage recommendations don't seem out of line at first glance. -20°C to 40°C should be fine, especially if left plugged in.
The back of the brochure also has warnings regarding battery care during driving and charging.
But, I have only ever seen two of these and one owner said his Turbo S had to be bought back by the importer because of insurmountable technical issues.

Back