Looks like I’m going back to the dealer

I had my rear differential fluid changed in my 06 Mustang GT. Now I’m hearing a slight grinding/scrapping sound only when my steering wheel is turned all the way And i’m accelerating
I looked underneath and notice this spot of metal wear. They took the bar in front of the differential off when they changed the fluid
I wonder if that bowl broke?

Attachments

• 8EF0FF34-8D74-47BB-9637-BA5F808860EF.jpeg
    8EF0FF34-8D74-47BB-9637-BA5F808860EF.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 180
No way that bolt is broke.

I bet it’s either needs to be tightened a little bit or the scrapping noise is going to go away as soon as what was disturbed (metal, rust), wears a tiny bit.

But definitely it back, document, have them take a look.

Is it a creaking moan like a sea tossed iron hull ship? *m-m-oan-creeeEEEAK*?

Might have been serviced without correct fluid with limited slip ingredient mix included in the gear oil, or the oil was dropped in without the limited slip fluid add-in.

If it was removed for service it was probably hammered back into position because the bushing swelled. That scraped the paint.

Look up front on your knuckles, if you have some sort of mechanical steering stop that could be your noise source.

ok yeah that is a thick bolt
Yes slight creaking noise but only when steering wheel is all the way turned and accelerating. Hopefully they used the fluid I gave them 2 quarts of Motorcraft gear oil and one bottle of friction modifier

The panhard bar shouldn't be making noise like that. Sometimes you have to bang them back into place which would be that spot on the bottom unless that was already there.

Yeah that spot wasn’t there so they must of banged it. I brought it back to the dealer today and of course they couldn’t duplicate the noise I’m hearing. I’ll stick to doing my own maintenance for now on

Back