Looks like I'm changing jobs

Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
2,080
Location
California
I didn't want to. However, my employer has hired a guy as my direct supervisor that I despise. I would say "hate", but I'm really trying not to hate him, hate isn't good. He's one of those guys that is just able to always have a negative slant to every conversation. Even if he tries to be encouraging, he always has to imply his own superiority, or say that you're making progress but you really have a ways to go. If you argue with him, or even try to discuss whatever he's telling you, he will say something like, "End of discussion." On the other hand, I've been offered a job paying four bucks an hour more than I'm getting now, and a company truck. I've tentatively agreed, and I'll probably start there in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm just waiting for things to dry up, weatherwise, so that we can start groundwork. I'll give two weeks notice at my current employer. I've been working at my current job for almost three years, and until they hired this guy, I would have been fine staying there until I couldn't work any more. However, he has sunk his hooks in pretty deep, and it looks like it will take a while for them to see through him. In any case, the combination of my current dissatisfaction along with the offer of a significant raise are pretty convincing.
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2016
Messages
1,336
Location
Alberta
Good for you! cheers Working with a supervisor like that is very stressful, and hard on a person's health. Smart to leave before it went on too long.
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
24,363
Location
Central Florida
Lots of great jobs out there , pack up your stuff and don't look back. Time to leave if you have a cancerous and poisonous boss.
 

JC1

Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
6,741
Location
Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Good for you. I've worked with plenty of people like that. I laugh now that I'm older and know how to deal with those jerks. You may experience this again, just learn how to deal with iosote like that. Don't burn any bridges, just say you've gotten a better opportunity and you thank them. Let them figure it out.
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2003
Messages
977
Location
Ohio
Basing a decision to leave on the actions of one person is somewhat thin IMHO if the job is otherwise okay. Problems like this tend to sort themselves out given a little patience. I was in a similar situation some years ago. The person involved was intolerable. I also knew that she was just there to collect a paycheck and was not actually doing much work, though I could not provide the evidence of that. I did the only thing I could do. I spoke to the supervisor who was above Ms. Trouble's boss and suggested to him that a little investigation on his part would reveal the monkey business going on in our department. Mr. Supervisor soon found out who was actually working in our group and who was not. The result was that Ms. Trouble was soon escorted to the door, never to return.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
13,189
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by JC1
Good for you. I've worked with plenty of people like that. I laugh now that I'm older and know how to deal with those jerks. You may experience this again, just learn how to deal with iosote like that. Don't burn any bridges, just say you've gotten a better opportunity and you thank them. Let them figure it out.
By telling your employer thier hire of a supervisor is a tool is not burning bridges. All he has to say is honestly I can not work under that incompetent duff. When the company starts losing productive professionals it won't take long to weed him out along with the Einstein who hired him.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
13,189
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
Basing a decision to leave on the actions of one person is somewhat thin IMHO if the job is otherwise okay. Problems like this tend to sort themselves out given a little patience. I was in a similar situation some years ago. The person involved was intolerable. I also knew that she was just there to collect a paycheck and was not actually doing much work, though I could not provide the evidence of that. I did the only thing I could do. I spoke to the supervisor who was above Ms. Trouble's boss and suggested to him that a little investigation on his part would reveal the monkey business going on in our department. Mr. Supervisor soon found out who was actually working in our group and who was not. The result was that Ms. Trouble was soon escorted to the door, never to return.
It's the worth the risk to wait it out. Of course the folly of the matter shall be revealed but the toxicity of the workplace will have taken its toll everyone and make take months to years for management to admit the mistake it made.
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2017
Messages
961
Location
Michigan
Tell them the truth, you never have to worry later about remembering what you said. If they hold that against you then thats their problem.
 
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
24,828
Location
...
Sounds like a good decision. I've always felt that burning bridges is not a good idea. You never know what will pop up in the future. Tell your boss you got a better offer and thank him. It's up to him to figure out the real reasons.
 
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
3,394
Location
Midwest, Illinois
Originally Posted by dave1251
By telling your employer thier hire of a supervisor is a tool is not burning bridges. All he has to say is honestly I can not work under that incompetent duff. When the company starts losing productive professionals it won't take long to weed him out along with the Einstein who hired him.
That simply does not apply in the present workplace, IMO. My company promoted someone (insert adjective here) into the management staff over 2 years ago. 5 of my peers have left, 3 more are on the fence as a direct result of the manager. Least tentured person that left had 20 years in. Employers know they will find monkeys to train. Gone are the days of pride,loyalty,technological know how, and quality work done by the employee.
 
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
15,663
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by PimTac
Sounds like a good decision. I've always felt that burning bridges is not a good idea. You never know what will pop up in the future. Tell your boss you got a better offer and thank him. It's up to him to figure out the real reasons.
+1
 
Joined
Mar 30, 2014
Messages
6,894
Location
NJ
I had a real jerk for a boss at my job a few years ago. He liked to bully and push buttons. Another coworker I worked with threw him against a wall. Strangely, nothing bad happened after that. The guy calmed down for a few days. He was the kind of guy that you had to tell off. Not something I'm comfortable doing in a work setting but after we had a man to man discussion he seemed to respect me more. Very strange. I was ready to leave but he left after 9 months with the company. Of the three things that make work tolerable, good pay, good location, good people, having a toxic environment is the worst.
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2017
Messages
3,646
Location
Worst Case, Ontario
You're living the dream, bud. The only way it can get better is if they call you to replace him after they can him. I'd ask for an offer of employment and give your notice right now. It's a risk, because they might start picking on you (especially the guy you don't like) but giving them a long time to replace you is a classy move. Also, you can determine if you will ever return based on how they treat you during this period, and decide if you will ever return.
 
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
13,225
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Originally Posted by Stelth
I didn't want to. However, my employer has hired a guy as my direct supervisor that I despise. I would say "hate", but I'm really trying not to hate him, hate isn't good. He's one of those guys that is just able to always have a negative slant to every conversation. Even if he tries to be encouraging, he always has to imply his own superiority, or say that you're making progress but you really have a ways to go. If you argue with him, or even try to discuss whatever he's telling you, he will say something like, "End of discussion." On the other hand, I've been offered a job paying four bucks an hour more than I'm getting now, and a company truck. I've tentatively agreed, and I'll probably start there in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm just waiting for things to dry up, weatherwise, so that we can start groundwork. I'll give two weeks notice at my current employer. I've been working at my current job for almost three years, and until they hired this guy, I would have been fine staying there until I couldn't work any more. However, he has sunk his hooks in pretty deep, and it looks like it will take a while for them to see through him. In any case, the combination of my current dissatisfaction along with the offer of a significant raise are pretty convincing.
Why must you wait 6-8 more weeks? Does the new job work less weeks out of the year than your current job? How many less weeks and can earning $4 more per hour result in less annual earnings? Why can't you bite your tongue and not forward your opinions of the job? Can't you ignore this individual, unless verbally approached first?
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
13,672
Location
Los Gatos, CA
If ya don't like your boss, don't worry cuz he/she will change sooner or later. You said you like it there; I would talk to him/her and see if that helps. You got nothing to lose. Remember, your new job may be worse. As others have said, try not to burn bridges. You will see these people again one way or another. Good luck.
 

Stelth

Thread starter
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
2,080
Location
California
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Stelth
I didn't want to. However, my employer has hired a guy as my direct supervisor that I despise. I would say "hate", but I'm really trying not to hate him, hate isn't good. He's one of those guys that is just able to always have a negative slant to every conversation. Even if he tries to be encouraging, he always has to imply his own superiority, or say that you're making progress but you really have a ways to go. If you argue with him, or even try to discuss whatever he's telling you, he will say something like, "End of discussion." On the other hand, I've been offered a job paying four bucks an hour more than I'm getting now, and a company truck. I've tentatively agreed, and I'll probably start there in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm just waiting for things to dry up, weatherwise, so that we can start groundwork. I'll give two weeks notice at my current employer. I've been working at my current job for almost three years, and until they hired this guy, I would have been fine staying there until I couldn't work any more. However, he has sunk his hooks in pretty deep, and it looks like it will take a while for them to see through him. In any case, the combination of my current dissatisfaction along with the offer of a significant raise are pretty convincing.
Why must you wait 6-8 more weeks? Does the new job work less weeks out of the year than your current job? How many less weeks and can earning $4 more per hour result in less annual earnings? Why can't you bite your tongue and not forward your opinions of the job? Can't you ignore this individual, unless verbally approached first?
I have to wait 6-8 weeks because they have a project starting near me at that time. They have my name on it on the job board. Unfortunately, I can't ignore this individual. I rarely, if ever, initiate contact with him, but because of his position, I do have to interact with him occasionally. I try to keep it to email, but sometimes we have to actually talk. As far as waiting him out, as I said, he has sunk his hooks in. He can read a room, and agree with the right people. He quickly learned to talk the talk to reflect the management attitudes. He has very few original ideas, and most of them are, uh, stupid. We have all taken some management training, and he has learned the key words and can inject them into sentences. Apart from learning new words, nothing has changed. The management stuff is fine, but it has to actually be applied to work. The company didn't make money last year, and upper management is angry. This guy does well in an angry environment.
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
24,363
Location
Central Florida
How many years of industry experience does he have ? In lots of industries, people are promoted into a position and everyone knows they are the wrong person for the job.
 
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
38,604
Location
ME
These are a glorious 6-8 weeks. Be sure to use it to needle your current supervisor. Some would call it trolling. But you'll have the power and clarity of thought of someone with nothing to lose. And you can make the place a better place for your other co-workers stuck under this guy. You don't have to be a jerk, but just question him on something you think he doesn't know the answer to, that he should, and let him frame himself into a corner. You are a cat, and he is the mouse. Approach this appropriately. It'll give you something to smile about in 30 years when you're drooling in the old folks' home. You say he likes the last word, so approach it like, well, this isn't the end of discussion, because I'm still confused about.... Then he has to answer as a function of his position.
 
Top