Looks like FCA got busted like VW/Audi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I said it when VW got called out on it they wouldn't be the last.

Yep......EVERY auto manufacturer has or is doing it.

Probably why they don't want anyone to have assess to the engine calibrations....Citing "Intellectual Property".

GM & Ford will be next as I know for a fact some of their calibrations have emissions control monitors in a passive state. What get's certified is not always what hits the dealerships!

What I don't agree with in all this........Going after parts suppliers/manufacturers (i.e. Bosch). Bosch does't have their engine controller certified to pass emissions protocols, It's on the auto manufacturer!

Yes. I wonder who will go down next.

. FCA contended that unlike VW, it did not install the software with intent to cheat on tests. The software turned off the pollution control system under extreme circumstances such as climbing mountains in order to prevent engine damage, which is allowed under federal regulations, FCA said.

This requires greater and greater detail. So far, all we have is an unverified source citing unverified details.

The article is a 0.1 out of 10 on details and context.

The VW TDI owners got such a deal of the settlement. The FCA on is paltry in comparison.

My sis in law turned in a Jetta TDI wagon with front end body damage that happened near the turn in period to VW. She ended up with $3000 from auto insurance for other party collision damage that VW took in unprepared except zip ties/duct tape holding bumper and spare installed and a full refund of purchase price + a few thousand for a car she drove over 85k miles over 3+ years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
The VW TDI owners got such a deal of the settlement. The FCA on is paltry in comparison.

My sis in law turned in a Jetta TDI wagon with front end body damage that happened near the turn in period to VW. She ended up with $3000 from auto insurance for other party collision damage that VW took in unprepared except zip ties/duct tape holding bumper and spare installed and a full refund of purchase price + a few thousand for a car she drove over 85k miles over 3+ years.

I turned in my 2015 Passat TDI 2 years and 3 days from day of purchase with 60+k on it and got all of my money back and then some.
I loved the car and 900 mile tanks as my wife had a 100 mile daily round trip for work and chasing my daughter all around the east coast playing college softball. The decision to sell back was tough but we had hit a deer before the second payment was made, so that would have affected the value and wife got a promotion and got transferred back to an office 5 miles from the house so all the short tripping would not have been good on the TDI.

Best vehicle I've ever owned especially from a financial standpoint lol

Originally Posted by itguy08
Seems like they got off easy compared to VW.

VW 550,000 vehicles - 14.7 Billion (https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/guide-to-the-volkswagen-dieselgate-emissions-recall-)
FCA - 104,000 vehicles - 1.02 Billion

Even though VW was 5x as many vehicles they paid a whole lot more than 5x the fine.

I think because of this..

FCA contended that unlike VW, it did not install the software with intent to cheat on tests. The software turned off the pollution control system under extreme circumstances such as climbing mountains in order to prevent engine damage, which is allowed under federal regulations, FCA said.

FCA should file bankruptcy... and not get a bailout. Merging with Fiat was a *huge* mistake.

Originally Posted by Kira
Please don't jump on me for being "unexciting" or a "closet Amish" or anything else....but

I get it, performance sells cars and upping the horsepower or 0-60 ET is paramount.

When will people learn that things like VW diesels or Dodge Ram twucks are just fine if they just drive?

Putting up with diesel's slow acceleration didn't kill grandpa and it won't kill us.

Also, foolish consumers wanting touch screens in cars?? How in love with junk can you be?

Just design a car and make it work. I ain't entering it in the Indianapolis 500.

Vehicle hungry...."That's the way uh huh uh huh they want us uh huh uh huh"....or maybe some of us are happier that way?

Grumble-grumble

Because so many Americans are fat, lazy, stupid... don't forget rich and greedy too. We don't think about all consequences of our behavior. Our decisions are short-sighted, with immediate gratification as the #1 goal. We want what we want and we are used to getting it all, delivered to our door, for ridiculous prices.
Look at the damage in Joshua Tree because some [censored] shady off-roaders wanted entertainment and took advantage of the shutdown (understaffed national parks). That's a very sad situation. BRO with lifted diesel monster truck needs to feed his ego, at everyone else's expense. I can't wait until a video shows up (again, the blind ego, and stupid) and they get nailed with massive legal action.

Originally Posted by DGXR
FCA should file bankruptcy... and not get a bailout. Merging with Fiat was a *huge* mistake.

Please don't jump on me for being "unexciting" or a "closet Amish" or anything else....but

I get it, performance sells cars and upping the horsepower or 0-60 ET is paramount.

When will people learn that things like VW diesels or Dodge Ram twucks are just fine if they just drive?

Putting up with diesel's slow acceleration didn't kill grandpa and it won't kill us.

Also, foolish consumers wanting touch screens in cars?? How in love with junk can you be?

Just design a car and make it work. I ain't entering it in the Indianapolis 500.

Vehicle hungry...."That's the way uh huh uh huh they want us uh huh uh huh"....or maybe some of us are happier that way?

Grumble-grumble

Because so many Americans are fat, lazy, stupid... don't forget rich and greedy too. We don't think about all consequences of our behavior. Our decisions are short-sighted, with immediate gratification as the #1 goal. We want what we want and we are used to getting it all, delivered to our door, for ridiculous prices.
Look at the damage in Joshua Tree because some [censored] shady off-roaders wanted entertainment and took advantage of the shutdown (understaffed national parks). That's a very sad situation. BRO with lifted diesel monster truck needs to feed his ego, at everyone else's expense. I can't wait until a video shows up (again, the blind ego, and stupid) and they get nailed with massive legal action.

ITS American's choice if they want to be fat and lazy . As long as I don't have to buy their beer and smokes I don't care . You make it sound like a sin to be rich . You know every modern item that makes your life better was thought up because someone wanted to make money .
You must be a paragon of virtue ?

Originally Posted by Kjmack

Grumble-grumble

ITS American's choice if they want to be fat and lazy . As long as I don't have to buy their beer and smokes I don't care . You make it sound like a sin to be rich . You know every modern item that makes your life better was thought up because someone wanted to make money .

Are you sure they are rich?
What is debt of average American? I have neighbor who is on VA benefits, house wife, and they have two JEEPS and like $20k in each to lift them, wide tires etc. Only way they can afford that is good ole credit card.
I would say that answer to your idea of choice is: unfortunately, being stupid is constitutional right.
Instant gratification is what is really big problem here.
I was in one of war colleges with one officer from one European country. His kid was maybe 12 at that time, and went to local elementary school. So, kid comes back home one day while two of us and some other people from a class were drinking and smoking cigars and says: hey dad, teacher told me I am special.
He went next day to school and told teacher: do not ever tell my kid he is special. He still did not invent AIDS cure or got Nobel prize, so do not give him any ideas.
That is problem.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Kjmack

Grumble-grumble

Are you sure they are rich?
What is debt of average American? I have neighbor who is on VA benefits, house wife, and they have two JEEPS and like $20k in each to lift them, wide tires etc. Only way they can afford that is good ole credit card.
I would say that answer to your idea of choice is: unfortunately, being stupid is constitutional right.
Instant gratification is what is really big problem here.
I was in one of war colleges with one officer from one European country. His kid was maybe 12 at that time, and went to local elementary school. So, kid comes back home one day while two of us and some other people from a class were drinking and smoking cigars and says: hey dad, teacher told me I am special.
He went next day to school and told teacher: do not ever tell my kid he is special. He still did not invent AIDS cure or got Nobel prize, so do not give him any ideas.
That is problem.

I don't think that you are in any position to comment on the financial position of your neighbors unless you're doing their taxes for them and you probably lack the skill set for that.
WRT a twelve year old coming home from school to his father and a bunch of other adults drinking and smoking, I would consider that ghetto behavior.

I don't think that you are in any position to comment on the financial position of your neighbors unless you're doing their taxes for them and you probably lack the skill set for that.
WRT a twelve year old coming home from school to his father and a bunch of other adults drinking and smoking, I would consider that ghetto behavior.

OMG, twelve year old kid saw people drinking and smoking! He is done. That is it, he now has to live the rest of the life with such trauma.
No wonder kids kill themselves so much at 21 when they "discover" that yeah, beer is from this world.
As for neighbors, yeah, kind of can comment on their particular situation. Their choice, what they will do with money, but priorities are kind of messed up.

OMG, twelve year old kid saw people drinking and smoking! He is done. That is it, he now has to live the rest of the life with such trauma.
No wonder kids kill themselves so much at 21 when they "discover" that yeah, beer is from this world.
As for neighbors, yeah, kind of can comment on their particular situation. Their choice, what they will do with money, but priorities are kind of messed up.

Once again, you have no idea what kind of coin your neighbors have to work with. They may well be far better off than you are.
No reason I can see for a twelve year old child to come home from school to a house full of adults getting drunk and smoking cigars.
I would certainly not have subjected my sons to any such thing.
You may see things differently since you were one of the participants and denial and rationalization is a part of the way in which many of our fellows think.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
More than enough bigoted judgement to go around here.

Tell me about it.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

Once again, you have no idea what kind of coin your neighbors have to work with. They may well be far better off than you are.
No reason I can see for a twelve year old child to come home from school to a house full of adults getting drunk and smoking cigars.
You may see things differently since you were one of the participants and denial and rationalization is a part of the way in which many of our fellows think.

Your kids still believe in Santa too?

How do you go outside in the rain, with your nose that high in the air?

Nowhere did he say they were getting drunk. You can drink without getting drunk.

No winder our kids are so screwed and can't cope. I'm not THAT old but growing up Dad was a smoker. Car trips were the stereotype - puffing away in the front with us in the back. Smokin' in the Boy's Room was a thing. It's mostly died down now but you use that as a reason to teach your kids about smoking and drinking. I think Europe has it right with exposing kids to alcohol early - takes the "danger" out of it.

Nowhere did he say they were getting drunk. You can drink without getting drunk.

No winder our kids are so screwed and can't cope. I'm not THAT old but growing up Dad was a smoker. Car trips were the stereotype - puffing away in the front with us in the back. Smokin' in the Boy's Room was a thing. It's mostly died down now but you use that as a reason to teach your kids about smoking and drinking. I think Europe has it right with exposing kids to alcohol early - takes the "danger" out of it.

I was 4 when my dad would send me to get his cigarets. I smoked, like 4yrs, you know teenage year, stop when I was 20 in a country where smoking and drinking is national sport (very successful in it I might say). I though still drink, do not plan to give up. I was hiding from my dad that I am smoking. So, I was 16 and my dad finds out and says: well, why you did not say, now I can smoke with someone. So in one occasion I asked him how he is not mad that I smoke, I mean we all know it is bad? He said he had a friend whose parents did not allow anything, very strict etc. So he was hiding in a barn and smoke. One day he fell a sleep smoking and barn caught fire and he burned inside. Kids like to push limits, and forbidden fruit is always sweetest.
This culture of helicoptering over kids is making these kids truly incapable to deal with anything. No wonder 40 year old throw temper tantrums.
By the way, that kid that saw us smoking cigars and drinking whiskey, is now fighter pilot in one European country. I guess one might argue he is messed up, depending from point of view
smile.gif

I don't think Eddy is a real person, but rather a project. Very interesting flying carpet stories, keep them coming, Eddie. And your superiority sure makes you special in every way.

I was 4 when my dad would send me to get his cigarets. I smoked, like 4yrs, you know teenage year, stop when I was 20 in a country where smoking and drinking is national sport (very successful in it I might say). I though still drink, do not plan to give up. I was hiding from my dad that I am smoking. So, I was 16 and my dad finds out and says: well, why you did not say, now I can smoke with someone. So in one occasion I asked him how he is not mad that I smoke, I mean we all know it is bad? He said he had a friend whose parents did not allow anything, very strict etc. So he was hiding in a barn and smoke. One day he fell a sleep smoking and barn caught fire and he burned inside. Kids like to push limits, and forbidden fruit is always sweetest.
This culture of helicoptering over kids is making these kids truly incapable to deal with anything. No wonder 40 year old throw temper tantrums.
By the way, that kid that saw us smoking cigars and drinking whiskey, is now fighter pilot in one European country. I guess one might argue he is messed up, depending from point of view
smile.gif

Are you on drugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back