Looking to buy a cheap Japanese SUV. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, people here actually buy the Pajero/Challenger/Montero BECAUSE of their towing ability! The current Pajero is rated to tow 3100kg, or 6800 pounds...even my Outlander is rated for 2000kg, or 4400 pounds. 4000 pounds is only 1800kg, you don't need a giant "truck", even a family sedan can handle that sort of weight.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I went through this exact same factoring several years ago. I would recomend this: Get a 1992 to 1997 Isuzu Trooper or 96/97 Acura SLX (same vehicle). These have the 3.2 V6 which does not burn oil like the 3.5L (1998 and up - because of bad oil ring design). The auto trans issues are totally manageably with some simple common sense and mods. The frame and brakes are totally up to that tow weight and more.

The auto transmission is the GM 4L30E and a bit stressed in this vehicle if run hard. If you install a) a cooler (easy, cheap), and b) a temp gauge (easy, cheap), and change the fluid periodically and keep it topped up (easy, cheap), it will last forever. I can walk you through all that; I and others have posted about it at planetisuzoo.com.

The Rodeo/Passport frame is not ideal for towing the weight you want. Toyotas of the vintage are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. The Isuzu delivers toyota level quality and reliability with some needed care regarding the GM transmission. I have owned a 1998 Acura SLX (with the otherwise excellent but bad oil ring desing 3.5L) for 7/8 years and know most all the ins and outs. I love Toyota/Lexus and also own them now and in the past, but totally agree that for cheap good 4x4 and towing, the 4runner is not it.

You can find this vintage Trooper with a 5 speed, but as a daily driver in the Baltimore/DC area, that's more pain than even the Rock can take. The auto can be reliable with cheap mods and maintenance.

I miss my old Trooper.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, trailers do have brakes and they can be adjusted to stop the vehicle towing them pretty sharply.
Any EU resident must be smiling a bit at this whole thread.
Visit anywhere in the EU during the summer, especially in August, and you'll see small passenger cars towing large travel trailers everywhere.
Of course, the tow vehicles are typically sticks and the drivers have some clue as to what they're doing.
Doesn't always take a big hammer to solve a problem.

I hear you, but unless I missed it somewhere in this thread, we don't know what the OP intends to tow and where he's towing it. I know you're not getting out of some of the boat ramps in my area with a car, CUV or light SUV in some instances. I also know folks with various sized travel trailers that take them to some remote locations where it's not happening with a small hammer. Lots of factors at play. At the end of the day, like you say, easy highway and some sensibility will go a long way.

The OP says occasional towing to 4,000lbs - the vehicles he listed are rated for around 3,000kg, say around 6,000lbs, so well within his limits.

I knew someone who did the SLX/Trooper thing to tow a track car on the weekends, they were happy with the setup.

Can't go wrong with a 4Runner and I wouldn't be scared of miles with one of those.

If there's anything "American brands" do very well, it's body-on-frame trucks so I wouldn't necessarily say that a "Japanese brand" is the only good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back