Looking to buy a cheap Japanese SUV. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the milkshake issue in the Xterra, Frontier and Pathfinder was found and resolved around 2010 about the time the vehicles were getting 90k on them. Nissan never really admitted to what was the issue as they changed the tranny fluid requirement and changed the tranny cooler in the radiator to other than aluminum. Most replacements now are not aluminum. New radiators are about $140 or so and one can change it out in a easy afternoon. Burping the cooling system is another story and will probably need to reset the check engine light.

Last edited:
When I was looking at older Frontiers before getting my newer one, the simple answer looking for the coolant/trans issue was just to check the trans fluid. If it looked OK, it probably was. The issue wasn't present 100% of the time (though many did see it). If the trans fluid looks OK, replacing radiator with a newer one prevented the issue.

The nissan 4.0 is pretty reliable, as long as its maintained. after the radiator issues there were some timing chain issues (http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/vq-engine-secondary-timing-chain-noise-revised-tsb-s-52945/)

I know you said Japanese, but I would be looking at an American SUV in your price range that can tow. cheap to buy, parts are cheap, and you'll get a V8 that will be much better suited to towing duty.

What kind of wheelbase has the montero got, and how long a trailer do you intend to pull?

Get the ratio wrong and you have a white knuckle ride.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What kind of wheelbase has the montero got, and how long a trailer do you intend to pull?

Get the ratio wrong and you have a white knuckle ride.

Can't say I've ever run into that problem? What's a good ratio? My old Tracker had a 98" wheel base and no trailer seemed to set up any resonance, even towing close to its own weight, but I am never shy on tongue weight and don't speed either.
Some of the old SUV's did have alot of rear overhang which isn't an asset for towing and maybe helps getting some sway going?

Originally Posted By: 02SE
There's a reason the 4Runner holds it's value better than any of the others. I worked on them all back in the day, I have friends that still do.

My suggestion is to find a good, clean, well maintained 4Runner, and continue to maintain it.

+1. Not sure if you can find this in your budget but this would be my first thought. Personally I would lean more towards an older Tahoe. Solid vehicles, great engine and can easily occasionally tow but will also offer a nice day to day experience. Also a trailblazer would be a nice offer as previously mentioned. The inline 6s are strong and rock solid and also are a comfortable vehicle. My MIL has one still and refuses to trade it in because of how much she has enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Mazda Tribute

Or an Escape/Mariner, which is basically the same vehicle and likely cheaper.

I agree with the above, Trailblazer is a decent choice. They need some work here and there like window motors etc. but my grandparents had been pretty good. I've pulled over 5,000 pounds with it and it did great. I've also driven an Isuzu Ascender which is a Trailblazer with different skin and it didn't pull a trailer as well, I think it was the gear ratio.

Just because it's Japanese doesn't mean it's reliable. Isuzu? Mitsubishi?
37.gif

My parents used to have a Mitsubishi Montero. That thing was a tank! Going up a mountain it blew out a radiator hose and slightly overheated. A passerby stopped and gave us water to refill the radiator. We ended up going up the mountain while stopping every once in a while to pack snow in the engine bay.

That being said, they're also a pain in the [censored] to get them to pass emissions. More than likely it will be burning oil due to valve seals. Every Mitsubishi that I see on the road has this problem.

Originally Posted By: boom10ful
My parents used to have a Mitsubishi Montero. That thing was a tank! Going up a mountain it blew out a radiator hose and slightly overheated. A passerby stopped and gave us water to refill the radiator. We ended up going up the mountain while stopping every once in a while to pack snow in the engine bay.

That's amazing, sounds like something the pioneers would have done with their engines.

The Montero non-Sport models are nearly as bulletproof as the 4Runner, but Mitsubishi motors seem to be a little more "fragile" than Toyota. If you owned a Mopar with a Mitsu 2.6L/3.0L, you'll know. The older Nissan Pathfinders are decent, don't see many of those around in CA and while the VG30/VG33 can be a slug, it's a solid engine as long as you change the timing belt and idlers every 60-100K. You can run the cheapest oil and Chinese filters and it will be happier than a pig rolling in the mud.

I would also consider a small American SUV - the older Chevy Blazer/Trailblazer or a V8 Explorer. My reasoning for the Chevy Blazer is that while it's crude, it's basically a S-10 or Colorado underneath and I'd trust a 4L60E instead of the 5R55N in the V6 Explorers. However, intake manifold gaskets, fuel injection spiders and distributors are a fact of life on 4.3L V6s - Fel-Pro makes updated intake manifold gaskets that will hold up to Dex-Cool, Delphi has an updated CSPI spider that will convert the 1996-2000 4.3/5.7 Vortecs to multi-point injection and there are aftermarket billet distributors. If you find a V8 Explorer in good shape, I'd take a good hard look. The V6 versions are ticking time bombs, the timing chains are known to go and need the engine to be dropped to get access to the right-hand chain and the 5R55N isn't as strong as the 4R70W in the V8s.

To elaborate: I realize that in Colorado 4Runner's sell for a premium. Again, there's a reason for that. The other SUV's you mentioned just aren't as reliable, well made, or as easy to work on, as a 3rd gen 4Runner. Living in the Intermountain west, I worked on lots of customer SUV's. Almost all were 4wd.

Working on a steady stream of 4wd SUV's, you notice trends. When I was looking for a personal use SUV, I bought a 4Runner. It's now the oldest vehicle I own. These days it's mostly a fourwheeling and winter driving vehicle. In 20 years of ownership, it has required only one repair, a $20.00 hydraulic clutch hose, and about a half hour of my time to replace it.

My Sister took my advice when she was looking to get rid of her trouble-prone Isuzu Rodeo. I told her to buy a 4Runner. My Sister towed a boat that was right at it's rated 5k towing capacity, numerous times during the summer, for 15 years. All over Utah and the southwest. Over 10k+ ft mountain passes, in 100+°F heat, etc. She never had any issues. She now tows the same boat with no issues, with a '16 Premium Trail Edition 4Runner.

Since you're moving to the east coast, I'd look for a 4Runner from the south eastern states. They won't command as much of a premium as they do in Colorado.

Since the terms "cheap" and "Japanese SUV" are usually mutually exclusive and since you insist upon the "Japanese" part of the phrase, I'd say that you answered your own question in your opening post.
Look for the best price:value ratio you can find on a Montero.
I've known people who've owned them and they seem to hold up pretty well bearing in mind that no vehicle is perfect and past maintenance and use mean far more in any used vehicle than the badge on the grill.
Every used car is a one-off.

I'll give a big ditto for the 4Runner. I bought a 2003 4Runner for my daughter with 183K miles and it has been bulletproof. Took off the transmission pan and there were very few particles on the magnets. Looked almost brand new. I was amazed at how well they are built. Two years later she has had zero problems and lots of fun.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-mitsubishi-montero/6261295434.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/2001-mitsubishi-montero/6261956041.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/2002-mitsubishi-montero-sport/6245758821.html

This is what I'm talking about with the Montero. There are several like this in my local area.

The first one is a Pajero, 3rd gen and independent rear suspn. The other 2 are what we call a Challenger, and are based on the L200 or Triton ute, more like the Toyota or Nissans you are looking at. Go for the real Pajero/Montero.

I have to agree with the above. 4000lbs is a lot to tow with this type of mid sized SUV. I've owned them. Had a 1994 Jeep Cherokee, a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo, a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer and a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The only one I might have considered towing 4000lbs with was the Trailblazer. They all had enough power IMO, just not enough heft, wheelbase, suspension and brakes. Up to 3000lbs, they'd be fine IMO.

Well, trailers do have brakes and they can be adjusted to stop the vehicle towing them pretty sharply.
Any EU resident must be smiling a bit at this whole thread.
Visit anywhere in the EU during the summer, especially in August, and you'll see small passenger cars towing large travel trailers everywhere.
Of course, the tow vehicles are typically sticks and the drivers have some clue as to what they're doing.
Doesn't always take a big hammer to solve a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back