Looking to buy 2014 Accord Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you guys have any experience with accords ? I know last year they went to DI in the 4cyl vtec s , and I ve read about the carbon build up problems with the DI engine as well as oil diluted with fuel problems , not on Honda s yet though , so does any one know if Honda was able to address these issues or just rushed out an engine to stay in competition with Toyota etc . ANY info would be very helpful , as this is planned to be our last new buy before retirement .

There hasn't been many high mileage K24 Earth Dreams engines yet. Most I've seen were around 60k, but they were doing fine.

Honda did a fair amount of R&D on this new engine. It's rev happy like its brothers and sisters and very powerful.

Are you planing on the 6MT or CVT? Some 2013 (not sure about 2014's) CVTs had judder issues, but there were software updates and TSBs to address those.

A lot of people on the Accord forum love them. I think they're pretty good looking cars and love the Sport trim package myself. No need for a car right now as my '09 is in fine shape, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one if there was the need.

I drove a base 2.4 LX back last year when they first came out, (a 2013) I really liked it, nice 6MT and the car felt really tight. I also thought you got a lot of kit for your money without even having to upgrade to a higher trim level. I really do love the Sports myself and I would buy one in a heartbeat.

This car would be my ride if I were looking at a midsize sedan. Honda certainly wasn't first on the direct injection bandwagon, so I'd like to believe that they did their homework and got it right. Maybe, maybe not. The engine in my folks' 2014 Acura MDX is impressive, but they only have 10,000 miles on it, so long term is still an unknown.

I am usually happy with Honda's idea of the right ride/handling/responsiveness balance that they tune into their chassis, and at least up until now, they've been designed to make DIY maintenance as easy as possible. I don't know how the CVT is...but their conventional 5-speed AT seems to be among the last to give the owner a real dipstick and service point. I hope this remains true for the CVT.

The K-series engine is mechanically very proven, and it has a timing chain so there are no worries of belt replacement costs. The Accord is usually the hot rod in comparison tests, so I imagine that you'll be impressed with the powertrain.

I haven't like the looks of the Accord for a while now, but IMO, they made VAST improvements with the new one. It's actually a very good looking car now. I'd love a Manual V6 Coupe, although I'll never understand why they limited the manual's colors to red, black and grey.

I don't think you'll find a D.I. car that doesn't suffer from intake valve carbon to some degree. There's some nasty pictures on the internet of just about every make & model. A good low-NOACK oil is about all you can do to prevent it short of installing a catch can.

great car, had a 2013 4dr sport with a 6-speed manual and will trade it on a new 2015 that I have on order for September delivery. Car is almost as quick as my 2013 Civic Si but much roomier, fanastic fuel mileage for the size of the car, a decision you will not regret!

Originally Posted By: vintagegz
great car, had a 2013 4dr sport with a 6-speed manual and will trade it on a new 2015 that I have on order for September delivery. Car is almost as quick as my 2013 Civic Si but much roomier, fanastic fuel mileage for the size of the car, a decision you will not regret!

Curious: why the change from a 2013 to a 2015? The 2013 is the "new" (current) generation, right?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't know how the CVT is...but their conventional 5-speed AT seems to be among the last to give the owner a real dipstick and service point. I hope this remains true for the CVT.

The CVT is again a very DIY friendly trans. There's a dipstick and the same old 3/8" drive drain plug. Dipstick is a little harder to find, but it is there.

Curious when someone tries AMSOIL CVT in one versus the Honda fluid.

Originally Posted By: redhat
The CVT is again a very DIY friendly trans. There's a dipstick and the same old 3/8" drive drain plug. Dipstick is a little harder to find, but it is there.

Great news. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: vintagegz

Curious: why the change from a 2013 to a 2015? The 2013 is the "new" (current) generation, right?

Wanted the pearl white, we can get that in Canada!

I'd look at a Mazda6 before making the final decision..
smile.gif

Motor Trend:

Quote:
If you desire even a modicum of driving enjoyment from your midsize sedan, this (AUTO) transmission alone is a major reason to buy the Mazda6 over a new Honda Accord or Nissan Altima and their soggy CVTs, or the new Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu and their stubbornly unresponsive autos.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1210_2014_mazda6_first_drive/#ixzz3AVV9moXC

and read through this, too:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1405_2014_2015_midsize_sedans_the_big_test/

Last edited:
The Accord shines in the performance department. The Honda out-accelerated the Mazda, stopped shorter, had a higher lateral acceleration, and had a faster figure-8 (and at higher g's). It did all of that on 18" Eagle LS2s instead of the Mazda's stickier W-rated 19" Dunlops. Put Honda's chassis on the Mazda's rubber and the differences would likely have been greater.

MT:

Quote:
In sheer numbers, the Honda proved to be a sports car in sedan clothing. With a 0-60-mph run in 7.5 seconds and a stop from the same speed in just 115 feet, the Accord and its 189-hp, 2.4-liter I-4 led at the test track. While we're not typically enamored with CVT transmissions, the shift paddles on the Honda, along with programming that mimics a conventional auto fairly well, made all the difference. "Even with the CVT, the Accord had a very peppy ride," said Detroit editor Scott Burgess. "It was quick off the line, and the CVT was hardly noticeable."

The 6 is a fine car. So is the Accord. Both excel in delivering lots of smiles/mile.

Our 14 accord sport 6MT is doing great. real world economy matches the EPA 28/35. it feels amazing at high speed freeway. A bit more road noise than other cars but its cheap, fast, fun, thrifty on fuel. We have a second set of wheels for snow tires to use and its a beast in the winter with dedicated snows. Its the easiest manual transmission vehicle I've ever driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back