Looking hard at Kumho ECSTA ASX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need good winter traction, which Conti Extreme provides and I have good experience with them, but the Kumho is looking good according to this comparison test. $68 shipped for 205/55-16 Z is tempting. The Contis would be more like $88. Any ideas? I read a lot of reviews and 1st hand accounts on AudiWorld, a lot of people like them.

-

Test vs Eagle RS-A, Conti Extreme, Pirelli P-Zero

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...ake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&tirePageLocQty=

Survey for all UHPAS:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

Kumho ECSTA ASX

"The ECSTA ASX (ASX for All-Season Xtreme) is a member of Kumho's race-proven ECSTA high performance tire family. It is an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire that was developed to blend responsive handling with dry, wet and year-round traction, even in light snow.

On the outside, the ECSTA ASX molds a high technology silica and carbon tread compound into an asymmetric tread design that features large outside tread blocks for quick response and sporty handling with high volume circumferential and high angle slant grooves to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. Constant contact center blocks help reduce noise while providing continuous road contact to improve straight-line stability. Internally, ECSTA ASX tires feature Kumho's Dynamic Casing Shape Technology that controls casing tension throughout the tire. This allows the ECSTA ASX to increase ride comfort by absorbing bumps and increase handling by remaining stable when cornering. ECSTA ASX tires feature twin, high-tensile steel belts with spiral-wrapped jointless cap and belt edge strips to stabilize the tread area enhancing handling, high-speed capability and ride quality while minimizing weight.

On the road, the KUMHO ECSTA ASX offered sporty handling along with a taught, but not too harsh ride over the expansion joints and sharper bumps. The ECSTA ASX did not feel quite as crisp as the PZero Nero M+S, but felt much more connected than the ContiExtremeContact.

The ECSTA ASX demonstrated that it was well prepared for our dry handling course, too. The overall feeling of grip was good, helping produce average overall lap times close behind the first place Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. The ECSTA ASX felt stable under hard braking, but steering response was not quite as sharp as the PZero Nero M+S.

In wet conditions, the ECSTA ASX felt predictable and fairly responsive, making it easy to drive at its limit. The overall grip level was good, but in the end the average cornering g's around the skidpad as well as average overall lap time fell just behind the second place Eagle RS-A."

Northeastern PA on a 06 RSX huh?

Well... considering how much salt and snow we get here (sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much) I think you might be ok with those on salted roads. However, if they sell it in your size, I love the BFGoodrich Traction T/A in V-rated form. They're blocky like a blizzak and perform WELL in the snow, and don't give up dry/wet traction. I put a set on my girlfriend's turbocharged protege 5 wagon in 205/50R16 and they performed great in the snow.

The ASX has a very... flexible... sidewall. I really wouldn't get them if I wanted performance. Do they make the Avon M550s in your size?

It's certainly not a tread pattern for snow of any significant depth, but I was considering those this spring as a summer tire that could get me by if we had some unexpected snow when I was away from home with no access to my winter tires. I ended up getting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S instead, because my friend had bad luck with Kumhos flat-spotting and experiencing tread separation on two different vehicles. I generally hold the direct experiences of myself and my close friends (almost all of whom are engineers) above other sources of input so I had to stay away from the Kumhos on that one.

I wont buy a Kumho again if I can help it.
What about the Yokohoma AVID V4s from tire rack? I was looking at the H4 for my car. Too bad they do not have the V4 in my size, looks like a good tire with decent wear.

I don't know how much this matters, but the Kumho ASX are about two pounds lighter than their competitors.

Another All Season tire that has a strong snow bias is the new Bridgestone G009. Priced right too.

I have V4S here. I had G-009s and imo, there is not a single Bridgestone a/s tire that works in snow. Bridgestone quality and ride is great, just poor wet grip and no snow traction. I'll probally go with the Contis and price is not an issue. I have Mich Pilot HX here with full tread, but want something more reliable.

I just put Bridgestone RE960 a/s Pole Position on my Subaru WRX. Only 1500 miles on them so broken in however these tires are absolutely incredible in the wet. They pretty quiet for a ultra high performance a/s. Tirerack sales people said they were one of the best ultra high performance A/S tires they sell. I ended up buying locally though.

I have no idea on winter traction. AWD should make up for it in getting going. I rarely drive in winter conditions as I telecommute and find it to be a waste of time vs staying home or comfy B & B.

So, what's the synopsis on these tires? I've been eyeballing them lately, and they seem to compare well with the big guys. Especially for the price. I'm tempted to give 'em a whirl (no pun intended).

rjundi, what was your last tire?

Dominic, this is the scene. Steep hill right up to the house, small township and far from civilization. Oh yeah, wife works in a State Park too...getting around is tough.

-

-

I have the ASX on my Jetta in 205/55/15. The positive, they handle really well in curves for All Season tires. In rain they handle fine at highway speed.

Negatives.. they do ride taught, they are not the most comfy tire out there. They flatspot in the morning and take a few miles to round out. The on center feel is vague.

Never encountered snow , so can't comment.

I heard the ContiExtreme have out of round problems, so beware. I think there are better choices than either ASX and ContiExtreme. I'd go with Avon Tech M550 A/S or Michelin Pilot Exalto.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
rjundi, what was your last tire?

Used set(~50% worn) of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S included on a set of WRX OEM rims for $225. Prior tires were the OEM Bridgestone RE92's which are not really great at anything.

The RE960 a/s has superior wet grip in the few miles I have put on.

I believe tirerack.com concurs with this in their test of ultra-high performance tires and the rep I spoke to there. The truth is you cannot apply anything about a brand, you really should be brand/model specific. Every tire maker has winners and a balance of losers.

I agree RE92's are not the best, I have had them OEM three times over from a 95 Honda Civic to my current WRX & Legacy GT.

I'll throw in my .02 here as I am also looking at the ASX's.

I had Conti Extreme Contacts installed on my '00 Grand Am GT. Grip was awesome wet, dry, & especially snow. Downfalls were flat-spotting and they were loud. I just put on Avon's Tech 550 M/S to replace the Conti's. These tires run on the heavy side. However, they are much quieter than the Conti's. They seem a little slow as far as steering is concerned. Overall though, if you can get past the heaviness they are great tires for the price.

I'm now looking to replace the OEM Goodyear RSA's on my '05 Mazda3. Because of the odd tire size (205/50/17), my options are limited. I would go Avon's but they are just too heavy for my taste, especially on a small 4-cyl. car. I also thought about the Michi Exalto A/S but it's $166/tire. I'm about 75% sure that the ASX will be the next tire to go on the Mazda b/c of the good reviews & good price point ($89/tire).

Yeah, you can't beat the price for the ASX. At least based on the reviews from tirerack.com.

What are some other disadvantages of a "cheap" tire (particularly the ASX)? Bobert says they're loud and that they tend to flat-spot overnight. Some of the reviews I read claim that Kumho's are very quiet. Any other's opinions?

I have a crushed stone driveway and never get flatspots. I had 2 sets of the A6 Sport rims. The previous owners were unconcerned about the resell price, so I grabbed a set of 5, then a set of 3...under $200 a set! I like them and they look good on all the cars I used them on. btw- that red A4 came with 15" stock.

-

-

PS I might just try to get by w/o new tires this winter. I have a frersh set of Michelin Pilot HX...they are decent.

Also the Avon M550s which are described as "heavy" feel that way because they are 6-ply tread and 3-ply sidewall. They're nearly puncture proofs! They seem to handle abuse well and don't deflect when cornering or driving highspeed.

Im sure on a well salted road the ASX will do fine. On non salted, it's another story. Why not get another set of rims and tires for Nov-April? I do that on my Camaro
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Also the Avon M550s which are described as "heavy" feel that way because they are 6-ply tread and 3-ply sidewall. They're nearly puncture proofs! They seem to handle abuse well and don't deflect when cornering or driving highspeed.

I was the one that mentioned the heaviness of the Avon. What you say explains it. I guess it's good to know it's a tough tire.

I actually have a set of 15"s that I could use. I aquired 3 sets for the woman's CRV and have one extra. I also have a set of 205/60-15 Dunlop Sport A2 Plus sitting around, brand new. I was going to flip the Dunlops to my MIL for her A6. She has them now and liked them a lot. I know they are very good in snow, maybe best next to the Conti Extremes. I think I am overstocked and need no more new ones. I have the Michelins, 2 at 8/32nds and 2 at 10/32nds. I also have some Yoko V4s, 2 at 8/32nds and 2 at 5/32nds. I also have a beater pair of MXV4s with 5/32nds for next summer. The problem is even the good ones are old. I like the Pilot HX more than some people do, but am totally UNimpressed with the V4S. I am also considering pair of Yoko TRZs. I had them on my womans CRV as her "good" set, last winter. Extra deep tread, fantastick in rain. I don't care about speed rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back