looking for "used car" suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently sold the cavalier, and within a few months will be in the market for another DD, im not planning on buying new (de-value to quickly) something in the 2-4 year old department, preferably a 4-door 4cyl manual tranny, STRICKLY point A - B transportation. I have my truck and motorcycles for pleasure autoing.. so im looking for suggestions ON very economical basic transportation.. got a suggestion , wanna point me away from something ? fire away.. im a bit out of the loop on econo cars so all opinions appreciated.

Honda civic, Toyotoa Yarius or Corolla. ford focus and various Kias. Look at consumer reports recomendations, Manual tranys are hard to find these days

The problem I've found with buying used,is most vehicles a year or two old have some pretty good mileage,and they don't seem to be priced a whole lot less than new vehicles.

With the economy today,dealers are offering some good deals.
0% on new vehicles,brings the price to about the same as buying used.
YMMV.

I had a nice Kia Optima sedan with a 5 speed that would be a good choice. You can find a Hyundai Sonata like this, too.

Smaller? How about a Nissan Versa.

More fun? Civic Si. Mazda 3i.

Small SUV? Jeep Patriot or Compass.

Great value? Ford Focus.

The market is saturated with 06-08 Mazda6 since a ton of automatics were rentals. You may be able to pick something up a dealer couldn't get rid of.

Try something japanese this time Honda fit, civic or mazda 3.

I recently bought a 2005 Prius which I love - If you are willing to go a little older for similar money.

Any of these choices will give you good economy with rock solid reliability. The mazda 3 can even be pretty sporty depending on trim level.

Last edited:
Toyota Corolla. Look for a private party late model sale with service records. They're there for the picking, and they are the most reliable cars you can buy IMO, especially if you can find about an 04 or later that's been well maintained. Best balance of fuel economy, performance, and ease of maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Honda civic, Toyotoa Yarius or Corolla. ford focus and various Kias. Look at consumer reports recomendations, Manual tranys are hard to find these days

+1 but I`d substitute Hyundai for Kia (even though Kia is now owned by Hyundai), and I`d add Mazda to the list as well. Not a fan of the Yarius though (just personal preference regarding the styling - I just find them ugly :)

In order of (my own )preference I`d go Civic or Corolla, then Focus, then Mazda or Hyundai. You`ll pay a slightly bigger premium for the first two but they`re worth it imho, if you can find the right bargain.

i have a 2007 focus 5 speed that gets 38mpg after 64,000 miles and runs great cept for cheap chinese radio...cobalts would be good too, at least mine has been, 35 mpg automatic...probably most important thing is owner maint, many people dont care about that

x3 on the cobalt, you want something anonymous so the resale is nil. A (gasp) late neon might be good too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
x3 on the cobalt, you want something anonymous so the resale is nil. A (gasp) late neon might be good too.

x4. I think Cobalts hold up well, have a good powertrain, and can be found without too many gadgets. A used car is more about condition and price than a particular brand.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Hyundai Elantra might surprise you.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back