Looking for Suggestions - Transmission Service 2015 Canyon

Hey guys, mulling over the options to have a transmission fluid & filter drop done on the Canyon. Not a flush....just a drain & fill, with filter. Events over the last months have shaken my faith in pretty much anything being done right anymore, so I'm trying to choose carefully. The truck's out of warranty, so I would like to avoid the dealership if possible, mainly due to their general attitude toward this job when I called them at 30,000 miles. All they offered to do was suck out the fluid & replace it. He didn't even want to talk about the filter.

I want all Delco parts & fluids used, which will probably mean that I will need to supply it, as I suspect most places will be using bulk fluids & aftermarket filters. Maybe its irrational, but I'm not keen on using "multi-vehicle" transmission fluid. Note that the exhaust has to be unbolted at the cats in order to drop the pan.

I'm considering giving Eagle Transmission, or Aamco a shot, since they're supposed to know what they're doing. My biggest concern is that whoever I choose is familiar with the fluid level check procedure on this transmission.

I let Kwik Kar do this on my Sport Trac, but it had a dipstick, they gave me the old filter, and they told me exactly what fluid they were using, so I know everything was done correctly. They got the level spot-on, by the way. I just don't have confidence that they'll take the time to check the fluid level on this transmission.

Any suggestions before I start calling around? I may be overthinking it, but at the moment, I'm gun shy about having another job messed up.

D/F with a filter has been around since God was a baby and most indie shops could do it. Use Dexron VI. It's a good fluid and is what your vehicle requires. If your pan doesn't have a drain, try Doorman. Then you can do a D/R when you want. The filter could probably last 50k miles before you'll need to change it again.

I am assuming you don't have the option of a number of dealerships to ask?
For grins, I just called a different dealer. He acted as if I was speaking Klingon, seemed totally taken aback that I was even asking, and then came right out and said that I shouldn't need to change that filter until 100K. See my concern?

You can't go wrong calling around and asking.
It sorta seems like dating (with the intent to marry) your mechanic! But, dang, it is worth it to have a known, trusted mechanic. I have found that the places that don't advertise or offer coupons of any kind generally seem ok.
Make that a part-time job for a few days and get to know the places that could do this service. At some point, pick one and have the service done. Perhaps go back for more services.

Maybe try the level checks yourself so you can be certain. Maybe try the suck/refill procedure as well. These can add to your satisfaction and help know your equipment.

For grins, I just called a different dealer. He acted as if I was speaking Klingon, seemed totally taken aback that I was even asking, and then came right out and said that I shouldn't need to change that filter until 100K. See my concern?

Not really; 100K is a reasonable change interval for an ATF filter. It seems @ BITOG dealers are either 1) trying to do more maintenance than requested more often than necessary or 2) not doing the maintenance you requested often enough. Not sure that is a fair spot in which to put them.

Say he scheduled the work for someone who asked them instead of indicating the proper maintenance schedule and suddenly it is the "stealership"

Just ask them to do the work and have them note on the service slip that customer was briefed that the work was not needed until 100K but wanted it done early.

I find it hard to believe they are turning down requested work even after you acknowledge that it isn't imperative it be done @ that time.

Not really; 100K is a reasonable change interval for an ATF filter. It seems @ BITOG dealers are either 1) trying to do more maintenance than requested more often than necessary or 2) not doing the maintenance you requested often enough. Not sure that is a fair spot in which to put them.

Say he scheduled the work for someone who asked them instead of indicating the proper maintenance schedule and suddenly it is the "stealership"

Just ask them to do the work and have them note on the service slip that customer was briefed that the work was not needed until 100K but wanted it done early.

I find it hard to believe they are turning down requested work even after you acknowledge that it isn't imperative it be done @ that time.
That's part of the issue. Severe service in the owner's manual, which includes stop & go driving in hot weather (It's Texas and my truck is a daily driver) says 45,000 is the recommended interval. I don't believe it's prudent for him to recommend 100K unless he's sure he knows what conditions this truck has endured. Dealerships need to decide what side of the fence they want to be on, and until they do, I tend to steer clear of them.

1. Quote me for the service I requested a quote for. 2. If I ask you when you think it should be done, then give me your recommendation. 3. If you don't want the job, just say so. These are three easy points to go by, but none of them ever do.

Back