Looking for some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here is what I did I was going to change the transfer case fluid out of my pick up at 20k mi it has a it required a star bit for the (T-55 I beleive) fill and drain holes. I tryied to get the fill plug out first thank *** because I couldt get it to budge and eventually stripped it out clean!!! So now I am trying to figure out how to get this thing out without drilling all that metal into the T-case. I already tryied grabbing the outside of it with vise grips theres not enough to latch onto, whats left hammer a larger star bit in the hole with a hammer??? I need some ideas from the pros.

1. Pray.
2. Drill it out carefully. Try not to damage the threads on the pan.
3. Get a new bolt.
4. If this doesn't work, have it towed to the nearest reputable garage and pay the piper.

After wallowing it out with a bit, try an allen wrench. 6 sides is 6 sides. It can get to the point where the plug is "expanded" into the threads and then it is misery to remove.

If the Torx stripped out, nothing else is going to move it until you loosen it. First work it over good with a hammer. Just not so well you crack anything. Then add a punch or chisel at the edge so it turns. I don't know that any of the penetrating oils help, but can't imagine them hurting.

In my opinion, there is no excuse for not putting a full sized hex on plugs.

Thanks for the help as soon as I can get a new plug I am going in there LOL.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

.... In my opinion, there is no excuse for not putting a full sized hex on plugs.

I'm with you. In my case, the plug that stripped out is the coolant air bleed, at the upper radiator hose on a Jeep Liberty. What genius thought a soft aluminum plug is a good idea, I can't imagine. I haven't removed it yet, by the way.
quote:

I tryied to get the fill plug out first thank *** because I couldt get it to budge and eventually stripped it out clean!!!

Nice job there. With the drain plug out first, you would be stuck with having to have it towed in, like someone suggested.

A hammer and a dull chisel can work.
Tap a notch, then work it counterclockwise.
You can get some very tight nuts off tht way.
Heating first is your friend.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
A hammer and a dull chisel can work.
Tap a notch, then work it counterclockwise.
You can get some very tight nuts off tht way.
Heating first is your friend.

Now when you say heating first do you meen running it up to temp or with a torch??

I have better luck getting stuck stuff off heating it with a torch than any other way. Acetylene is best but MAP gas is ok and propane will work in a pinch. Heat the plug itself and as the heat transfers from the plug to the case you will be able to get it out.

BTW I am waiting on a new fill plug from dealer and some crush washers then I will give the chisle a shot and let yall know how it goes.

Whatever you do ..either tape or antiseize the new one on the way in. You don't ever what to go through this again.

Wouldn't you love to meet up with the guy who set the production impact driver torque limit that day your truck rolled off the assembly line?
grin.gif

Well the plug is out thanks alot for the advice guys. I used the hammer and chisle technique and lets just say I was getting alittle concerned, but it did break free and now there is fresh tranny fluid in there so good to go for another 30k. BTW the reason it wouldnt budge is because it was way over tight from factory the crush washer was smushed big time ohh well thatnks again for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back