Looking for recommendations. Teach me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I'm a gal who's (slowly) learning to do my own vehicle maintenance. On Sunday I changed my own oil for the first time and I'm proud as punch of myself. Even if it did take me all day. I came here looking for the "best" oil to use, and now that I've read the sticky explaining that, I'm seeking recommendations.
smile.gif

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD with 170K miles on it. Owner's manual says to use "API grade SL 'Energy-conserving' or ILSAC multigrade engine oil." SAE 5W-30 is recommended. It says SAE 10W-30 may be used if the former isn't available, but it should be switched back to 5W-30 at the next oil change. Regarding oil change intervals, the engine maintenance light begins flashing 5K miles since last change and remains steady after 7500 miles. They say "If the light is flashing, we recommend that you replace the engine oil at an early opportunity depending on the driving and road conditions. If the light comes on, replace it as soon as possible."

I'm in Seattle and the surrounding areas, and tend to drive 3+ hours a day, much of it freeway, at least 3 times/week. Sometimes that's in horrendously slow traffic. (Worst ever took ~90 minutes to go a single block, but I digress). I drive gently most of the time but dodging near-misses happens often around here. I prefer to drive ~5mph over the posted speed limit, which is apparently considered slow.
confused.gif

Issues: There is potentially still sludge build-up from when I first got the van nearly two years ago. I initially neglected to change the oil at all, until I realized my mistake. Based on various recommendations, I (think I) cleared most of it out by having several oil changes with a high-mileage oil, Valvoline Max Life high mileage. People told me the detergents in the oil would help remove the sludge. I still see a lot under the cap, so I dunno.

There is also a small oil leak that I won't have the budget to fix anytime soon.

I'd prefer to go as long as possible between changes. I'd also prefer the cheapest "great" oil for my van (does that exist?) rather than just getting the cheapest available and shorting my engine and mileage. And I'm curious as to how expensive the "best" for my vehicle and situation would be, so I can at least consider it. I live in my van, which I have painstakingly converted, so while I'm on a pretty tight budget I also have all my eggs in one basket so to speak and need this thing to last me a while so I can get back on my feet. I'm okay with using either synthetic or conventional oil, whichever will get me there!

Thanks for any help.
smile.gif

I'd stick with the maxlife in red bottle. 5w-30. Change at the 5k interval and it will clean up the sludge over time. The goo on the oil cap will stay because there is no oil flow there to clean it off. I'd scrape it off if it really bothers you. How do things look through the oil fill hole?

I wouldn't go with a full synthetic until you can fix your oil leak.

I wonder if moving up to Maxlife 10W30 would help at all with any oil loss without having to go up from the recommended W30?

Just my opinion, stick to some cheap API SL/SM/SN 5w30 and change oil and filter at 5k miles. But hey maybe there's not many sludge in there. How was it maintained by previous owners ?

Hi there, can you post a picture of the converted van that you live in so we know you're not making all this up? Thank you in advance. And welcome back, it's been a while.

Originally Posted By: Superflan
How was it maintained by previous owners ?

No idea, it was purchased at an auction. All 4 corners of the van were either dented or severely scuffed by previous owner, and the tires weren't rotated, so I'm guessing they didn't take stellar care of it.

It'd be sweet to have an old vintage mint condition Woody with surfboards on top and beached out! Surf's up!!

Welcome Dapple.
Since you never mentioned any performance issues, oil loss, weird smells and noises I going to assume your car was reasonably cared for for the majority of its life. Maybe the previous owner let things slip a bit, who knows. If what you're seeing under the oil cap or down the fill hole is brownish or tarry black then you might have some sludging going on; the extent is hard to tell short of removing the valve cover. However, if your oil doesn't turn black very shortly after an oil change then things might be OK.

I would go with SilverSatin's recommendation for the 5K change with MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wonder if moving up to Maxlife 10W30 would help at all with any oil loss without having to go up from the recommended W30?

She's in Seattle, a 10w could be too thick in winter... it'd probably be ok, but I don't think it will matter to the leak much so overall I think it's better to stay with the recommended 5w-30.

I wouldn't spend money on a top tier filter either since it's only on there for 5k. Use the OEM or a FRAM ToughGuard filter.

EDIT

Change the PCV valve as soon as you can. Since you have some sludge, you probably have a clogged PCV which may be contributing to your oil leak.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi there, can you post a picture of the converted van that you live in so we know you're not making all this up? Thank you in advance. And welcome back, it's been a while.

Uhh...sure? If you think the fact that I live in a van is unbelievable then I'll try not to tell you about the two vehicles I lived in before this one, or how I got here in the first place. Just took these:

Edit - pictures aren't embedding. Here's links:
https://goo.gl/photos/iu3AsD4z56Fkp3s56
https://goo.gl/photos/hCNSo5TuWnM3Kdfi6
https://goo.gl/photos/BZz1mS3hKxcGRYYt7

If you want more proof, here's a bunch of older pictures of my conversion back before I built the bed I have now and got my new fridge. It goes into a lot more detail on the electrical setup and how everything works. In response to another poster, yes, I'm technically a vandweller.
smile.gif
But I've found I differ too much from the vandwelling community's subculture to care for that label.

Those curious (or needing more proof, whatever floats your boat) might want to check out these pictures of my very first conversion, a 1980 2-door Toyota Corolla. Please excuse the haphazard website.

I never imagined a recommendation for oil would go this direction! I guess you all have had problems with other folks or something? I got nothing to hide, and nothing to gain by giving you false information.

Last edited:
+1 more for Maxlife 5w30. Any filter you want. 3-4k intervals to clean things up. Loving the Corolla lol

Welcome!

I can't add much in the way of an oil suggestion, the maxlife that has been suggested before would be spectacular for your situation.

If you care to mess around with mail-in rebates, Mobil 1 was one going that you could submit.

As related to your van conversion, this may sound weird, but I'm a little jealous! When I first moved from L.A. to S.F., I fully intended to convert a van and live a more vagabond life, but ended up in a relatively inexpensive apartment instead. Now that I've hit 30, I think that is on a back burner until I once again become a burner )'(, and retire from the World.

welcome2.gif

Cool van you got there
smile.gif

To clean up the sludge, do a few short OCI's first. Unfortunately, the 1MZ isn't an engine where you'd want to do long drains. The max I'd go on that engine is 7500 on M1 EP

Sorry about that! Yes, there have been a few trolls here that get banned and keep coming back. Kind of like this one, but I didn't come across the thread till page 3. He's no longer a registered member on here.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4329434/1

Very cool van you have there! Prob Maxlife is the best for an engine that's consuming oil. For cleaning the engine up I'd recommend some Pennzoil, even the conventional stuff is excellent at cleaning. Plus you could move up to the High Mileage version. Walmart has very good pricing.

What oil did you just put in there for the oil change and what filter?

Please tell us more about yourself or PM is fine. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back