Looking For Recent Experience With The Purolator Red Can Oil Filter

Reaching out for your recent experiences (within the last couple years) using the red can Purolator oil filter. This model starts with an L prefix in its SKU number. I find it positioned well between the extra Guard and Tough Guard. For only a few cents more it has better efficiency than the Extra Guard and could be excellent for my 6,000 mile oci for my Subaru Forester. Thank you!

1680013380022.jpg

I'm curious as I thought about trying them, but the ones that would fit my Jeep (L14670) did not have the silicone valve from the 4 that I looked at. They are also priced more than the Tough Guard from a few online sources.

With a silicone ADBV and open louvers, Purolator Classics are a solid substitute for a Fram Extra Guard, especially when paired with a rebate at Menards.
Menards has good prices on the Purolator One's too. $6.99 for 2.2L ecotec GM for example.

OP: Looks like that line of puro's use metal end caps too if that is what you want. There is still some resistance to Purolator's here on BITOG due to tearing that did happen but IMO they've pretty much eliminated that issue several years back.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback, it appears the experiences overall are positive in performance and value. I discovered a second source for Purolator filters where I live; Blain's Farm & Fleet. I have one close so I visited and checked out the Classic yesterday. Finish is excellent, paint and steel are clean and bright and the filter has a solid feel. They had three of my SKU in stock and all had a silicone ADBV. They were on sale for $4.99 which I thought was an excellent value. I've got a Purolator One on now but I will be trying the Classic in the future.

Thank you for the good feedback. I also learned the filters on the shelf at the store were all made over 2 years ago! I'm not liking that fact and may stick with the reliable Tough Guard.

The stock of Frams at WalMart have 2023 production dates due to their inventory turning so much faster.

This model starts with an L prefix in its SKU number. I find it positioned well between the extra Guard and Tough Guard. For only a few cents more it has better efficiency than the Extra Guard ...
Only if you use the referenced ISO 4548-12 efficiency model L30001, lol. ;)

Back