Looking for opinions on a car to modify

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into getting either a 3rd gen. Camaro or a Mustang(87-93)to get a supercharger kit for to build a decent fun ride. I'm seeking opinions on which would be easier to work on, hold value, and plain old reliability. I was always partial to the Camaros, but finding one with a 350 in decent shape for sale is hard stuff around here(Allentown), while Mustangs are easier to find. Can anyone offer some insights?

Unmungus: Although it feels like sacrilege to say this, the third-gen Camaro engines are not as moddable as the 5.0 Mustangs.

The 82-92 Camaros had several different carbed, throttle body, or tuned-port injection motors. Some are pretty strong, but none are as versatile or have aftermarket support like the Ford 5.0.

The Camaros have a better chassis and handle better, but if you want to supercharge then a Ford might be the way.

And I really like the TPI motors but they just aren't very moddable!

(I feel like I may now go to h*ll for saying this because I'm a Chevy guy...)

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I'm looking into getting either a 3rd gen. Camaro or a Mustang(87-93)to get a supercharger kit for to build a decent fun ride. I'm seeking opinions on which would be easier to work on, hold value, and plain old reliability. I was always partial to the Camaros, but finding one with a 350 in decent shape for sale is hard stuff around here(Allentown), while Mustangs are easier to find. Can anyone offer some insights?

It depends on what you're looking for in a car. The Nissan 240SX (89-93) can be had for several thousand bucks and is capable of running reliable 13, or even 12 second quarter mile times with an engine swap such as a SR20DET or a 2JZ-GTE. Paying someone to do a swap will probably cost the same as supercharging a Mustang or a Camaro.
But if you're more familiar with the mechanics of a domestic, I'd stick with the tried and true Mustang.

Last edited:
While I would absolutely agree with the Stang as easy to mod, there is also one on every street corner. So they are without a doubt the easiest.

You might want to research a bit, read the Summit Catalog, etc., and then pick a car. I built a really nice Monte Carlo SS on a budget once, and it was quite a runner.

Don't forget the brakes and handling!

these cars aren't as common as they once were; lots of 5.0 mustangs got wrecked or rusted away; they are around 20+yrs old now.
I agree about choosing the stang also; the TPI camaro engine is old abandoned tech. lots of guys puts carbs on them, which of course made it impossible to pass emissions.
I wouldn't do either unless I had a garage and a lot of tools and patience.

a better choice might be a 4th gen camaro w/ an LS1, much more power, not as old.

You wouldn't believe the difference of looking for a car in the south rather than near Allentown. Some don't have any rust and are 20 years old. You could search Auto trader and use the Richmond, VA zip (23230) and try to get a rust free car.

You could try "craigsnationwide dot com" and do a search for the year, make and model of car, followed by the state.

For example, type in 1987 Mustang Florida.

I'm partial to Fords, and the performance parts are commonly available.

However, I like the looks of the GM products better.

One thing's for sure, there is not much difference in quality.

When you mod them, value goes out the window. If they aren't in OEM shape, they basically have no value. A collector wants them equipped like they came off the showroom with matching #'s.

The cheapest way to go is to find one already modded. People wanting to get out of racing usually end up taking pennies on the dollar for their investment.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've always liked the looks and handling of the 3rd gens., but just looking in the Jegs catalog makes the Mustang seem like a no brainer here. Supercharger kits for 2-3k, and a turbo kit for 1.5k(although I'm pretty set on supercharging), are quite appealing. TaterandNoodles, what did you like better about the '84 stang over the '89 TPI? I've never liked the looks of 4th gen. Camaros, despite the power advantage.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I built a really nice Monte Carlo SS on a budget once, and it was quite a runner.

Steve, did you do an engine swap, or just build up the 305? The Montes are lookers. Looking Southwards makes sense, I'll look what I can turn up.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
How much do you have to spend?

This.

And what's your skill level.

Basically, if you have to ask....

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Thanks for all the replies guys! I've always liked the looks and handling of the 3rd gens., but just looking in the Jegs catalog makes the Mustang seem like a no brainer here. Supercharger kits for 2-3k, and a turbo kit for 1.5k(although I'm pretty set on supercharging), are quite appealing. TaterandNoodles, what did you like better about the '84 stang over the '89 TPI? I've never liked the looks of 4th gen. Camaros, despite the power advantage.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I built a really nice Monte Carlo SS on a budget once, and it was quite a runner.

Steve, did you do an engine swap, or just build up the 305? The Montes are lookers. Looking Southwards makes sense, I'll look what I can turn up.

Got me a nice used Vortec 350 and built it up right out of the Summit catalog. Had some trans problems until I found the right rebuilder, the car ran very low 11's and was extremely quiet and reliable with all power accessories and ac. It even sold for good money.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
When you mod them, value goes out the window. If they aren't in OEM shape, they basically have no value. A collector wants them equipped like they came off the showroom with matching #'s.

The cheapest way to go is to find one already modded. People wanting to get out of racing usually end up taking pennies on the dollar for their investment.

A "virgin" fox isn't a "collector" car at this point, and one that is tastefully and PROPERLY modded (that is KEY) can still fetch very good money. Often more than a stocker still.

OP:

Get the Fox, '87-92. Make sure it is NOT REBUILT. The stock internals are freakin' fantastic on those enginges; stronger than the block. Forged pistons and rods.....

Buy a TrickFlow top-end kit for it and you've got a low 12 second car.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

A "virgin" fox isn't a "collector" car at this point, and one that is tastefully and PROPERLY modded (that is KEY) can still fetch very good money. Often more than a stocker still.

I don't recall him saying he was stuck on a fox.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I don't recall him saying he was stuck on a fox.

No, the other option is an 80's Camaro, LOL

Late 90s Holden Caprice with L67, 4L60E.

There's a low mileage one near here with 350hp from bolt-ons, 77000 miles, and $7,999 price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back