Looking for Oil Advice - Trailblazer SS

My son is driving a Trailblazer SS (6.0) that we had rebuilt (engine) by a locally well respected racing engine builder. Off the record, my son is turning it into a street racer so he's looking for performance out of it. He's got about 6K on the engine since the rebuild and time for another oil change. I'm trying to help him out monetarily by buying his supplies for a while. The last day or so he has been all over with ideas about brand/viscosity etc on the oil.

What's your thoughts? Is Amsoil worth tracking down? Other brands any good?

(Hopefully this is the correct forum for this question.)

Thanks!

I think the Corvettes use Mobil 1 so that's always a good choice. If it was built with factory clearances, 5W30 should be fine as a starting point.
I'm guessing this rig has an accurate oil pressure gauge so that can be your guide for durability. He might want to try 0W20 for short bursts if it doesn't kill the oil pressure.

My son is driving a Trailblazer SS (6.0) that we had rebuilt (engine) by a locally well respected racing engine builder. Off the record, my son is turning it into a street racer so he's looking for performance out of it. He's got about 6K on the engine since the rebuild and time for another oil change.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks!

First things first

Full or part time "street racer"?

Is this going to be a primary vehicle otherwise?

What is the estimated top end and race duration ( and frequency)?

How much money you have and want to spend?

The load put on the oil combined with the desired life expectancy of the engine is the most critical part of lubrication selection process.

Asking people for suggestions based on advertisements with no idea of what the oil will be subjected to and required to do is best avoided in all cases.

3.5 - 4.0 HTHS for street oil temps.
2.6 HTHS if trailered and run at 160F oil temps.

Basically that means something like M1 ESP 5W-30 (or other Euro Spec 5W-30) or a 40 Grade like the 0W-40 ESP used in the C8 Corvette for street driving. A good lower cost alternative would be the regular M1 0W-40 sold at Walmart.

0W-20 for race only.

The reason being oil viscosity changes with oil temp.

I'm assuming this is a mild engine. If this is a North of 1,000 bhp turbo build my suggestions would be different. We run 5W-30 M1 EP currently in our 1400 bhp turbo car. Of course it's a Big Bore x Stroke Mod Motor so a totally different application but I wouldn't think your engine is that different from my buddy's Turbo 5.3L LS even if it is a Slow Chevy (Mid-5's in the 1/8) although you would need less viscosity due to reduced bearing loads (if it's a relatively mild normally aspirated build, A 250 bhp shot would have to be factored in).

Last edited:
Back