Looking for new wheel bearing grease for boat trailer.

Been using Mobil 1.
The grease is a light pink after I'm guessing mixing with water or separating like it does in the grease gun.
T.S. grease has caught my eye.
Traveller Marine & Off-Road Calcium Sulfonate NLGI #2.
Does not say for wheel bearings but has the NLGI #2 rating.
Has/Does anyone use this?
I can't find many reviews on it.

This is probably redundant these days but does the axle have Bearing Buddies or the EZ lube axles?

Been using Mobil 1.
The grease is a light pink after I'm guessing mixing with water or separating like it does in the grease gun.
T.S. grease has caught my eye.
Traveller Marine & Off-Road Calcium Sulfonate NLGI #2.
Does not say for wheel bearings but has the NLGI #2 rating.
Has/Does anyone use this?
I can't find many reviews on it.
I am not familiar with the Traveller product, but generally speaking a Calcium Sulfonate grease would be a big improvement over lithium complex for a "wet" application. Same with aluminum complex.

https://www.mystiklubes.com/AskTheExpert/ask_the_experts_submit.jsp its under the grease tab.

4) I use my boat in saltwater as well as in fresh water lakes. Will the Mystik JT-6® High Performance Marine Grease protect my boat trailer wheel bearings when exposed to corrosive saltwater environment?
Yes, the new corrosion resistant additive technology formulated into the Mystik JT-6 High Performance Marine Grease is highly resilient in battling the effects of salt water corrosion. Most marine grade greases will do an adequate job in protecting bearing surfaces from rusting when trailer bearings are exposed to fresh water, however, it takes a premium product like JT-6 High Performance Marine Grease to maintain a protective water fighting coating around the bearings and combat the pitting associated with saltwater corrosion.

I want to stick with a available grease for me to pick up any day I need it.
Mystic is not available for me anywhere that I know of.

The sodium ion in salt water breaks down lithium and calcium soaps used in grease. Aluminum, being trivalent, has a much higher resistance to this breakdown and is typically used in marine grade greases. Even "fresh" water can have significant sodium ion content in the spring from highway salt runoff. Bottom line: You are always better off with boat trailer bearings using an aluminum-based grease.

Here's the TSC Marine Grease tech. sheet available at their website: https://media.tractorsupply.com/is/...mpany/tsc/product/1/02/84/48/1028448_Bro1.pdf ......it is rated for bearings and chassis use.

Some investigating of the TSC MFG. part no. MC 2000G suggests maybe this grease is manufactured by Metalcote Division of Chemtool Incorporated, which I think is tied to Lubrizol, Lubrimatic, and Plews: https://www.marineengineparts.com/media/wysiwyg/msds/30-190.pdf

EDIT: We used to have a member here who owned a water ski show operation (boats, trailers, personnel) and I remember him having experienced based recommendations. A search might turn up his posts.

Last edited:
Here's the TSC Marine Grease tech. sheet available at their website: https://media.tractorsupply.com/is/...mpany/tsc/product/1/02/84/48/1028448_Bro1.pdf ......it is rated for bearings and chassis use.

Some investigating of the TSC MFG. part no. MC 2000G suggests maybe this grease is manufactured by Metalcote Division of Chemtool Incorporated, which I think is tied to Lubrizol, Lubrimatic, and Plews: https://www.marineengineparts.com/media/wysiwyg/msds/30-190.pdf
Thanks, I could not find much info

I decided to go with Traveller Marine & Off-Road Calcium Sulfonate NLGI #2.
It's available for pick up any time.
Picked up 2 tubes.
It's not as tacky as lucus red n tacky. We will see how it performs for a season in fresh and salt water.

I am not familiar with the Traveller product, but generally speaking a Calcium Sulfonate grease would be a big improvement over lithium complex for a "wet" application. Same with aluminum complex.
Exactly this. The Tractor Supply Traveller Marine & Off-Road Grease (Calcium Sulfonate Complex thickener) is what I use on my Jeep for exactly the same reason (lots of mud bogs on Vulcan).

Last edited:
The sodium ion in salt water breaks down lithium and calcium soaps used in grease. Aluminum, being trivalent, has a much higher resistance to this breakdown and is typically used in marine grade greases. Even "fresh" water can have significant sodium ion content in the spring from highway salt runoff. Bottom line: You are always better off with boat trailer bearings using an aluminum-based grease.
Really? I'm not a chemist, but I took a bit of chemistry in college. I can see the issue with just calcium, but the specific molecule in the Traveller marine grease is calcium sulfonate. This PDF says their calcium sulfonate has better salt water resistance than their aluminum complex grease:

I picked up a few tubes of the traveler marine grease today to try, I bought a case of Schaeffers 219 back in summer to try out. Schaeffers claims 800kg weld point but no timken load rating so next I tried using Valvoline cobalt which has a lithium sulphonate base with 800kg weld point along with 70 timken load. So far I have really liked the cobalt with it’s tackynes and high weld point. However I just read the data sheet on the travelled marine and it has a water wash out (Astm d1264) @ 175 degrees of .5%. I have yet to find a better washout %.

Lucas marine 2.5%
Lucas xtra duty grease 10%
Schaeffers 219 5.57%
Amzoil marine 1.25%
Mystic jt-6. 2.5%
Mystic marine (@100 degrees Fahrenheit) .9%
880 crown and chassis 1.3%
Green grease only shows their washout as pass.

I’m curious if anyone found a grease with better washout? I’m sure there is but I’m very impressed with the numbers from traveller marine and for $6.

Back