Looking for new tires & tire pressure monitors?

To be honest I have not been keeping up with the activity on the tire forum so sorry in advance if my question seems repetitive. Our two primary cars are needing tires and I was looking for advice:

2015 Toyota Sienna LE (front wheel drive) – This will be our 3rd set of tires, this car eats tires which has been our experience with minivans. Currently we have snow tires with dedicated rims on the car, come springtime when we switch over, we want to replace the worn-out Cooper CS5’s. Looking for a decent all-season tire, was thinking of General Altimax RT43’s or perhaps another set of Coopers.

2012 Subaru Legacy (AWD) – This car has a few mods, and I am running 18-inch wheels with 225/45/18 VR Altimax RT43’s. These tires have about 47,000 miles on them and they are down to about 4/32nds. So, they are due to be replaced soon. Looking for a decent all-season tire that has better than average winter performance. Was considering the Altimax RT43’s again, but I am also looking at the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT and/or LX.

Lastly, both cars have their tire pressure monitor lights on as they are not getting a signal from a couple of the tires. Is this just a matter of replacing the batteries when we have new tires mounted? Or do these monitoring units need to be replaced?

Open to suggestions and recommendations.

TIA

TPMS battery is not replaceable, Need new sensors. My 2012 Sienna still has the original TPMS sensors, I checked the battery level with a TPMS tool and they are still ok. I have Goodyear Weatherready tires that i upsized to 235 60 18 and they are wearing well. I had Michelin Defender tires and they wore fast.

My 2015 Highlander is still on the OE tires and I've never seen the TPM light. The TPM light is on all the time in my Jeep because I run the tires low for comfort, maybe it will burn out.

On the sienna you can attempt to wake up the sensors by airing down the tires by 10 psi. Then air back up to proper psi or increase it by 2 or 3 psi. Sometimes the air rushing by them can help. The batteries have a glue adhesive around them so better to replace the whole sensor. I was just watching a YouTube video yesterday on this by “the car care nut”. He’s a master diagnostic tech at a Toyota dealer.

On the sienna you can attempt to wake up the sensors by airing down the tires by 10 psi. Then air back up to proper psi or increase it by 2 or 3 psi. Sometimes the air rushing by them can help. The batteries have a glue adhesive around them so better to replace the whole sensor. I was just watching a YouTube video yesterday on this by “the car care nut”. He’s a master diagnostic tech at a Toyota dealer.

Yeah I like his channel.

DON'T choose the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT's if winter traction is a priority for you.
The Tire Rack states in it's testing that the tire leads the test in warm weather testing compared to others in a particular test, but loses some advantage when snow is factored in.

My wife has them on her Audi A4 quattro. They do not have the winter traction the original tires. I do like the tires however.
This thread may interest you. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...kohamas-today-at-my-house-on-the-audi.335064/

The Ford dealership my son works at had 4 new (2020 F150 take offs) Michelin tires installed on his truck yesterday. He paid $300 for the tires and gave the tire tech dude $50 plus lunch to install them.

Attachments

• TIRES1.jpg
    TIRES1.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 15
  • TIRES.jpg
    TIRES.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 15
Both my wife and I are very impressed by the BFGoodrich Advantage TA Sport LT’s I put on our van. Went from struggling to get over the hump at the end of the driveway when it was icy/snowy to no problem getting out, and they’re 3PMSF rated. They’re also nice and quiet on the highway.

Back