Looking for input on today's top tier spin on filters

I am looking for input on what spin-on oil filters are currently considered top tier based on my criteria below ranked in order of preference (I am not asking for the best because I know where that question will get me in this forum LOL!). I am just trying to put together a list of what people think are top tier and I will decide from there. Yes, I have been lurking here for years and have kept up on the filter thread but I am having a hard time keeping up with the changes in the industry, which is driving this post and my question. I also frequent the manufacturer sites but I don't always trust what I read there as updated or accurate.
  1. filtration efficiency - higher percentages at the lower micron levels
  2. overall design - looking for things like silicone ADBVs and metal end caps
  3. integrity and performance - based on any that have been cut open
  4. availability - easy to get in the USA
  5. cost - I'm willing to pay to get the other criteria
I have an '09 GM 2500HD with the 6.0L V8 gas engine and I change my oil about every 5k.

Disclaimers:
  • I know that I may not need a top tier filter based on my application and interval and that's OK with me ;).
  • I know that I am going to get responses that are opinions. That's what I am looking for...opinions on the best filters out there today.
Thanks in advance Guys!

Please keep the responses constructive (y)!

Top tier is hard to categorize because that really depends on what the user prefers for their application. If you are looking for filters that have higher efficiency and typically better construction you would be looking at filters designed for extended drain intervals such as Purolator Boss, Napa Platinum (Wix XP), Fram Ultra, Amsoil Ea, etc. Any of the filters that are marketed for extended drains would be in that category, individual construction being better than another brand is up for debate.

This Thread by Ascent Filtration Testing includes third party testing of a Fram Ultra (wire backed), ACDelco Ultraguard Gold, Wix XP, Royal Purple, and Purolator Boss for a similar application.

Based on your criteria points, a Fram Ultra is still the "gold standard" (pun intended) for efficiency, overall design (recent design updates are fine), overall construction and integrity, availability, and cost.

The Ultraguard gold is very comparable, but are harder to find. The Royal Purple is also nearly identical but more expensive.

Honorable mention are Microguard Selects, Champ XL, and Fram Tough Guard

Below that you get in to the general 95% at 20 micron filters like Wix/Napa Gold and Fram Extra Guards

Now that the OG FRAM Ultra is no more, The AMSOIL EaO followed by the Royal Purple are the top wire-backed synthetic media offerings. For certain applications, there may also be a Donaldson or Fleetguard synthetic media offering, which are also excellent and have better QC than your typical automotive filters if my experience has been of any indication. I checked and it does not appear that either makes one for your application though.

Now that the OG FRAM Ultra is no more, The AMSOIL EaO followed by the Royal Purple are the top wire-backed synthetic media offerings. For certain applications, there may also be a Donaldson or Fleetguard synthetic media offering, which are also excellent and have better QC than your typical automotive filters if my experience has been of any indication. I checked and it does not appear that either makes one for your application though.

Thanks, Overkill, what is the "OG" in OG Fram? Always wondered but never took the time to ask!

the original Ultra with its pink colored wire-backed synthetic media.

Fram was recently acquired by Trico, and they subsequently cheapened the filter :sneaky:

They also fired @Motorking :(

I thought the jury was still out on the Ultra changes (cheapening). Ratings remain the same from the new to the OG. I'll be spinning on my first new model in a month or so on the F150.

I thought the jury was still out on the Ultra changes (cheapening). Ratings remain the same from the new to the OG. I'll be spinning on my first new model in a month or so on the F150.
My understanding is the efficiency of the media is the same, but it no longer has the wire backing. It's likely fine for most applications still, but is definitely not overbuilt like it was previously.

Efficiency remained the same (they appear to have used the TG media as the backer) but dropped the wire backing. We've been seeing deformed pleats with them, which isn't unexpected.

My understanding is the efficiency of the media is the same, but it no longer has the wire backing. It's likely fine for most applications still, but is definitely not overbuilt like it was previously.

I know, I complained and truthfully I was hammered on the site and rightfully so. Time will tell for sure. I still am using the Ultra as I don't see a better filter for under $10 for my use. I'm not a Fram loyalist for sure but I have been using Fram Extra for my kids 12 Rav4 and it has been a ok. But it is also a 5k OCI with synthetic blend. The 2.5 motor is pretty easy on oil.

I know, I complained and truthfully I was hammered on the site and rightfully so. Time will tell for sure. I still am using the Ultra as I don't see a better filter for under $10 for my use. I'm not a Fram loyalist for sure but I have been using Fram Extra for my kids 12 Rav4 and it has been a ok. But it is also a 5k OCI with synthetic blend. The 2.5 motor is pretty easy on oil.
I used to not be a Fram user, but I've been using them more over the past few years as they seem to be the most consistent. It sucks when you find what you think is a good filter and then find issues. I used to use Motorcrafts as they were a good value for under $4 with a silicone ADBV, but then I cut open two that were torn. Maybe 5k mile OCIs with a cheap filter is the way to go so it gets switched out more frequently? :unsure:

With all the flux in the filtration products as well as flux in reported details (read: we don't know what is going on), it seems the best you can do is steer clear of known junk and perform 'early' oil changes. It's really all you can do in a practical sense.
I "go clean". If I change oil a tad early, so be it.

I run out of gorgeous red hair (no more to let the subject grey it) to worry about it.

Didn’t pay close attention to amsoil ram filters because I don’t use them, but thought I read a blurb that they are no longer recommended for our hemi trucks. Just an FYI. Again didn’t really pay close attention.

Didn’t pay close attention to amsoil ram filters because I don’t use them, but thought I read a blurb that they are no longer recommended for our hemi trucks. Just an FYI. Again didn’t really pay close attention.
Only the little filter (not EaO, Ea15k) that is also spec'd for GM applications and has the wrong bypass pressure for the HEMI. The larger EaO11, which is the SRT and old RAM filter, was not affected by the TSB.

Last edited:
I’m still using the fram ultra, even though it’s not what it used to be. Stil a synthetic blend and shoul be fine for my 5 to 6000 oci. Now if I was running 10000 + oci, I’d be looking a better quality filter. Possibly royal purple.

Back