Looking for home/auto insurance suggestions

So after 20 years with State Farm and a recent large storm claim, they are dropping me. While I’m upset, it’s a sign to move on and not fight this.

I have a friend who is a farmers agent, so I am going to get a quote from him. But, all of you offer great advice regularly so I am looking to you for suggestions.

I’ll be insuring my two vehicles and my home. While I am willing to pay a bit more for better service, I do want a balance of price and service.

So, go with suggestions, stay away, and personal experiences.

Thanks.

Youre already on the right track by putting your home and auto together. Shop around and make sure and read the fine print as well as ask a lot of questions. You will likely get a better rate and better coverage out of this.
All my insurance goes through a friend from High school over 40 yrs ago who is an independent agent, I am lucky to have that connection and I trust him. My brother had hail storm claims on his house and his daughter house (she rented it from him) that was pretty significant. All told over 40k for both places and all it took was one call.

We went through our independent agent and ended up getting home/auto policies with Auto-Owners. Been with them over 25 years and no plans to change. No large claims yet, but service is received when needed. The best part is you won't seem them spending mega-dollars on tv ads.

Reactions: hrv
Find one or two independent agents to get an array of insurance bids.
Let them do the work for you.
If you want to get a bid or two from captive agents, fine.

I use Progressive, and so far, so good. They were fairly priced, and offered the discount (pretty common these days) for the driving habit profile provided by the plug in device for the OBD port.
The good thing about that is that once they have your profile/driving habits, you can send the dongle back but still get the discount.

Don't EVER fall for that "Disappearing Deductible" scam. If you're not familiar, you pay a certain amount for 5 years, and each year your deductible goes down by say, $100.00. Eventually it reaches $0....but the extra charge never goes away! So ultimately, you end up paying some deductible every time your ins. is up for renewal. Some companies call it "banking" your deductible but they all work the same.

So after 20 years with State Farm and a recent large storm claim, they are dropping me. While I’m upset, it’s a sign to move on and not fight this.

I have a friend who is a farmers agent, so I am going to get a quote from him. But, all of you offer great advice regularly so I am looking to you for suggestions.

I’ll be insuring my two vehicles and my home. While I am willing to pay a bit more for better service, I do want a balance of price and service.

So, go with suggestions, stay away, and personal experiences.

Thanks.

I might also add, find an Erie Insurance agent and get a bid.

Find one or two independent agents to get an array of insurance bids.
Let them do the work for you.
If you want to get a bid or two from captive agents, fine.
This x100. Find a couple brokers that represent a range of companies and let them do the searching. Often times they will come up with some good options. Do a little research on the company and pick one that is rated well with strong financials and you shouldn't have any problems.

I also have the so called "independent agent" that represent a lot of company.
They can shop for you on the best deal.

I have not heard good things about Allstate in terms of claim from contractor.
That may be here in this area, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
We went through our independent agent and ended up getting home/auto policies with Auto-Owners. Been with them over 25 years and no plans to change. No large claims yet, but service is received when needed. The best part is you won't seem them spending mega-dollars on tv ads.

Just went through a 4 month nightmare on an Auto-Owner's claim, on someone who has been an A-O customer since the late 80's.

The claims adjuster either didn't know how to do her job, or simply didn't want to do her job. Refused to answer simple questions. Once escalated, no one at A-O ever had the desire to do the right thing.

Hope you have better luck when your time comes.

If ever AO tried to do the same, I'm hopeful that our agent would try to assist...they are good folks. If the matter ever became serious, they would switch us to something else very quickly. Sorry to hear about your experience mrsilv04. I hope things improve.

Went with Progressive 1.5 years ago house and cars. Wife had a little fender bender took care of it with vary little hassel. Do know what it will do to are rates yet. Their snapshot to lower the cost will drive u crazy. I'm very rural got it when covid had most things shut down driving was very limited don't now how most people could satisfied them in big city driving in rush hour. Just from braking and turning to fast. Just don't put there app on ur phone then they monitor phone usage while driving even if passenger is using it.

State Farm has hired some staff members from Allstate and their service has dropped exponentially. Their rates are going up and their coverages are dropping. I was also denied a claim for roof damage after a hail storm here in Georgia. I'm looking for a new company also. I know it won't be Allstate!! I like Travelers but I can't find a local agent.

I have had State Farm for years and have had good luck with the very few claims I have had. Just got the renewal for our 2019 F-150 and the renewal went up 20%. May start looking around, but it is such a pain to switch house and everything. Maybe everyone has went up with their rates, but I did a quick online quote from Progressive and it was about the same as my previous renewal before the 20% increase.

Just went through a 4 month nightmare on an Auto-Owner's claim, on someone who has been an A-O customer since the late 80's.

The claims adjuster either didn't know how to do her job, or simply didn't want to do her job. Refused to answer simple questions. Once escalated, no one at A-O ever had the desire to do the right thing.

Hope you have better luck when your time comes.
I had a single car accident on snow in Jan. 2022 and went through the same thing with Auto Owners then they tried to raise my rates by about $150 every 6 months. I spoke with the agent and he wasn't able to get anything out of them either. Thankfully I'd only paid premiums to them for about 3 years. I switched to Progressive and if I recall correctly their rate for the same coverage was about $120 less than AO new rate. My son and his wife have Progressive. My son hit a deer a few years ago doing a few thousand dollars damage then a drunk driver without insurance hit him head on and totaled his vehicle. Both claims went smoothly. I was also talking with someone at a car dealer recently who said his wife was involved in an accident with someone who had Progressive and said their claim also went smoothly.

Ill be surprised if you can find anyone who can come close to their prices for auto insuarance

-Home Insurance

-Motorcycles, Boats

I use all three of these. Just keep in mind all areas are different, I never deal with an insurance agent.

Ill be surprised if you can find anyone who can come close to their prices for auto insuarance

-Home Insurance

-Motorcycles, Boats

I use all three of these. Just keep in mind all areas are different, I never deal with an insurance agent.
I did the Esurance quote and it was considerable higher than my renewal with State Farm

Back