Looking for good synthetic oil filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of high end oil filters on the market.
Mobil 1(M1)
Bosch Distance Plus(D+)
FRAM Ultra(FU) jk ;D

You get my point!
smile.gif

The XP will work just find, but in my opinion, its overpriced and hard to find. Much better (and cheaper) options out there.

If paying retail price, I'd go with the Fram Ultra. If on sale (and cheaper), I'd consider any of the other brands (Wix XP, Napa Platinum, Purolator Synthetic, Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1, etc.)

I have my preferences, but I usually just end up going with what's on sale because of how cheap I am.

If you want a synthetic filter, the go to one would be the Fram Ultra. You get dual layer full synthetic media that is wire backed, silicone adbv, metal crimped seam, 99% efficiency at 20 microns and 80% efficiency 5 microns...all for around or under $9 at Walmart. You just can not beat the specs for the price.

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
Thinking about the Wix XP?

Recent big thread about the Wix XP / Napa Platinum here.

My take: The XP is about the last synthetic filter I'd ever buy- its filtration ratings are far inferior to any of the others. My picks would be:

Fram Ultra (best bang for buck, almost best overall)
Royal Purple (best overall IMO, not very expensive anyway)
Purolator Synthetic (better performance than Wix XP for about the same price).

For all those recommending Mobil 1 whenver synthetic filters come up... why? Its a conventional filter (a very GOOD one with better numbers than the Wix XP) but it is not a wire-backed synthetic media filter in the same class as the Ultra, RP, PSL, and others.

The XP and Platinum are really nice filters, but the filtering efficiency (50% 2 20 microns) just doesn't make the grade IMO.

So the Fram Ultra is a good filter? I guess their high end ones are not bad, what about the Purolator? Even though I have been reading things about them tearing for the past year.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
If you want a synthetic filter, the go to one would be the Fram Ultra. You get dual layer full synthetic media that is wire backed, silicone adbv, metal crimped seam, 99% efficiency at 20 microns and 80% efficiency 5 microns...all for around or under $9 at Walmart. You just can not beat the specs for the price.

Amen to that!.....The Fram ULTRA is by far the best high-end filter available, and the best new is that thay are reasonably priced at WM, and some-time on sale at Pep Boys (currently 2 for $15).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

For all those recommending Mobil 1 whenver synthetic filters come up... why?

Because it says Mobil 1 on it, that's why. We have some M1 fanboys here that I think pour the stuff on their Cheerios.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
So the Fram Ultra is a good filter? I guess their high end ones are not bad, what about the Purolator? Even though I have been reading things about them tearing for the past year.

The Fram Ultra is made by an entirely different process, of entirely different materials than the barely-functional low-end Fram. The same can be said of the Purolator Synthetic- its a different process and different materials than the Classic and P1 types that have been turning up torn.

Judging the Ultra by the ExtraGuard would be like judging Daimler-Benz by a SMART car and concluding that "Daimler vehicles only use 3 lug nuts per wheel."

Last edited:
I cannot get on the Fram Ultra bandwagon because of the dome end bypass. I had wondered since the 70s why it wasn't on the thread end to prevent debris that has settled in the bottom of the can from being reintroduced into the engine when the bypass opens. Now that some manufacturers agree and utilize the thread end bypass, that is what I use exclusively.

Not many oil filter brands/models use a base end bypass valve, compared to the ones that don't. If it was a super big deal, all oil filters would have a base end bypass design. On my Tacoma, I wouldn't want a base end bypass valve because it mounts vertical with the base down. And on a horizontal filter, it really doesn't matter. Some applications may benefit from a base end bypass valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back