Looking for cheaper gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found these links which I thought people would find useful in finding cheaper gasoline around their area.
cheers.gif

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/states/index.shtml

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp

Yikes! I hope I don't see prices in my area get this high.
mad.gif

-

Johhny, there's a hilux ute for sale down here, fully equiped

WVO hilux

quote:

This vehicle has run on vegetable oil for 40,000km. The vegetable oil is stored in a separate 117 litre custom manufactured tank. Diesel is only used to start the vehicle, once engine has reached operating temperature; the vehicle is then switched to oil. Once on oil DRIVE FOR $0.00 per km. VEHICLE CAN BE SOLD WITHOUT OIL STUFF FOR $13500. Great low kilometre cheap to run Hilux, comes with ute liner and tonneau cover.

There are a bunch of forums on the stuff.

If I can get rid of my surplus cars, it's the sort of thing that I might look at for the "get to work, and take to the dump beater.

Regardless, going from a V-64Runner to a turbodiesel Nissan Navara has increased my fuel consumption from 8km/l (premium, only, 7.2 on regular) to 11km/l)

What people don't realize how much money you can save by improving your vehicle's gas mileage from 15 to 17 mpg. If gas is costing $1.60 a gallon and your getting 15 mpg, and you improve the gas mileage up to 17 mpg. That $1.60 a gallon of gas really cost $1.41. Doesn't make sense? Well if at 1.60/15 mpg = 10.66 cents per mile.
1.60/17 mpg = 9.41 cents per mile.

.0941 * 15 miles = 1.4115
That is a savings of 1.25 cents per mile
for 15,000 miles saves you $187.50 per year.
Or $15.63 per month in savings.
How much are you spending by not synthing your transmission and rearend?

I jumped my city by 1.5-2 mpg and highway 4-4.5 mpg through swapping out my transmission and rearend. There where other mods that added maybe 1/2- 3/4 mpg. I put on 17K to 18K miles per year so those changes saved me a lot with my gas budget. Add on the next mods that should jump the mileage another 1 mpg city and 2 - 2.5 mpg highway.

To make back the cost of all changes I'll have to drive the car for 5 years but heck I like it. Getting 500,000 miles out of the car should be no problem.

[ March 16, 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: ALS ]

I guess I'll hang on to my 205,000 mile Civic a while longer. 36-38 MPG still as from new.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
that's cheap for my area

Just curious, but where on the Central Coast ya from? I was in San Luis Obispo for five years (ending last June). Prices always were on-par with the prices in Orange County where my parents lived. Santa Barbara was always the killer...

Apparently my girlfriend down here in San Diego just got 87 octane for $2.19. Which means prices are coming down. last fillup for the 92 octane in my pontiac was $2.47. Ouch.

ferb!

OOPS: The Opec countries have a bigger impact on our economy.The gas rationing and high prices are much more harmful to our economy . With China using a lot more oil were behind the curve as far as using the good ideas that the oil companys bought out to make high milage full sized cars.Should we go to war to get the black gold or make use of the good ideas that americans have at least give us a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back