Looking for brake pads recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The priority list goes as such:

1) Stopping
2) Low dust
3) Price
4) Life

This is for the wife's car so safety first.

Pagid, from eBay or rent store.com
smile.gif

Bendix, Wagner, Motorcraft, all good. I like Bendix Ti-Metallic because they have a patent on that product to clean up not so perfect rotors. Next is either Ford OEM or Thermoquiet. The next brand I trust is Centric but they tend to be dusty(but stop very well).

I like the ProACT from Akebono, about 50 an axle. Thermoquiet's are almost as good for almost half the price. Both are mainstream products from great brands, I wouldn't worry about the safety aspect.

I was unimpressed with the Wagner ThermoQuiets that I used on our Chrysler minivan. They didn't stop particularly well, and I was not satisfied with their dusting performance. I've been using Akebono ProACT on a few cars and prefer them to other brands by a wide margin. The Akebonos feel well on the pedal, seem to stay clean in terms of dust, and don't break the bank when it comes time to purchase (although they are more expensive than others). They're also made in the USA...at least the ones I've bought have been.

Recently, I re-padded the rears on both BMWs First set was 40 $ from IAP. 2nd was a set of 15$ cheapies from AZ. Both stop equally well. Wear and dust don't matter to me. Cheap pads dust, they also stop fine and dont wear out the rotors

Akebono on all of our vehicles. Very happy with them over several years and lots of miles.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Bendix, Wagner, Motorcraft, all good. I like Bendix Ti-Metallic because they have a patent on that product to clean up not so perfect rotors. Next is either Ford OEM or Thermoquiet. The next brand I trust is Centric but they tend to be dusty(but stop very well).

The Ti-metallic sounds interesting. I would assume these might be a good idea for rotors that are aged but appear to be fine for a DIY'er?

+1 Akebono . See if you can get them at Advance Auto Parts with dicount codes. Got them for the wife's car for $35.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mud
Akebono on all of our vehicles. Very happy with them over several years and lots of miles.

These are basically the best out there for non racing use.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Hawk HPS. After buying my first set, I now don't buy anything else.

These are excellent pads, I use them on my Corvette. But they are expensive and performance orientated. Bendix makes good pads.

Stoptech pads are pretty decent.

I've heard good things about EBC, and I have a set to go on the forester soon.

I had HPS on the legacy, and I liked them, but apparently newer formula dusts more. Stoptechs were a bit less and I'm happy with them.

On euro apps, Textar has been good for me. Not sure if you can find them for your vehicle. They are an OEM supplier for Porsche.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd

Stoptech pads are pretty decent.

I've heard good things about EBC, and I have a set to go on the forester soon.

I had HPS on the legacy, and I liked them, but apparently newer formula dusts more. Stoptechs were a bit less and I'm happy with them.

On euro apps, Textar has been good for me. Not sure if you can find them for your vehicle. They are an OEM supplier for Porsche.

I thought Pagid supplied Porsche?

+ 3 for Akebono - using them on both my older cars - the truck is still riding on factory pads - when they are used up , it will be getting Akebonos as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back