Looking for best oil on VW 1.8t

Hey guys, i have a 1.8t motor with a fully built motor and 5858 turbo on it. Motor has about 1500 miles on it and went through a proper break in period running 5w30 conventional. I am looking to see what you guys recommend i start running on my next oil change. Currently the 5w30 seems to give me decent oil pressure when driving regularly but then gives me lower oil pressure than id like at idle after repeated hard pulls. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Edit: at 1000 miles switched to castrol edge euro blend 5w30

Last edited:
Hey guys, i have a 1.8t motor with a fully built motor and 5858 turbo on it. Motor has about 1500 miles on it and went through a proper break in period running 5w30 conventional. I am looking to see what you guys recommend i start running on my next oil change. Currently the 5w30 seems to give me decent oil pressure when driving regularly but then gives me lower oil pressure than id like at idle after repeated hard pulls. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Lots going on here. As noted above, use an oil with the proper VW approval.

For starters, look for an oil with VW 502.00 approval.
Starting point perhaps, but really no other reason............."fully built motor and 5858 turbo on it" is what is the driver here. Warranty and certifications and approval are a bit moot.

I say full SAPS.

If you don't drive much in the cold, 10W-30. Maybe look at oils in the SAE 40 range as well.

What is your oil volume?

You do not want to run a conventional 5w30 in a built turbo any more. A stout Euro oil that meets as many specs as possible would be a good place to start (which will also meet VW 502, easy spec to meet). If you can tack Porsche A40, MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01 on that you'll be in good company. Quite a few readily available choices that will meet all of those.

Lots going on here. As noted above, use an oil with the proper VW approval.
I should have prefaced that at 1000 miles i switched to synthetic. I am already running castol edge 5w30 the European formula. Which I believe is vw 502 and 505 approved.

One of these?

Castrol
Edge C3
SAE 5W-30

Castrol
Edge Professional OE
SAE 5W-30

Castrol
Magnatec C3
SAE 5W-30

Castrol
Magnatec Professional MP
SAE 5W-30

Castrol
Magnatec Stop-Start C3
SAE 5W-30

Castrol
SLX Professional B4
SAE 5W-30

Starting point perhaps, but really no other reason............."fully built motor and 5858 turbo on it" is what is the driver here. Warranty and certifications and approval are a bit moot.

I say full SAPS.

If you don't drive much in the cold, 10W-30. Maybe look at oils in the SAE 40 range as well.

What is your oil volume?
I live in north east but the car is only driven spring-fall. Lowest temps it sees are Cold starts roughly 40F. Oil volume is roughly 5.3 quarts.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Even a stock 1.8T is one of those cars that actually should use a 3k OCI on the required synthetic.

M1 0w40 seems like a good choice and is 502 approved.

If I remember correctly the old EA113 1.8T suffers from its small capacity oil sump.
Both oil choice and interval chosen should reflect that fact.
I'd suggest using a proper oil cooler, 5000k intervals and some 5W-40ish euro oil
with VW 511 00, Porsche A40/C40, MB 229.5/229.51 and/or BMW LL-04 approvals.

I'd bet had these oils been available back in the 90s along with VW/Audi mandating
proper intervals these sludge issues common for 1.8Ts wouldn't have existed.

If I remember correctly the old EA113 1.8T suffers from its small capacity oil sump.
I'd suggest using a proper oil cooler, 5000k intervals and some 5W-40ish euro oil

I'd bet had these oils been available back in the 90s along with VW/Audi mandating
The problem was in longitudinal engines. But good oil and large oil filter solve problem.

The issue was with longitudinal 1.8T’s where the oil pan and subframe share the same space so the sump capacity gets reduced

Transverse 1.8t’s have no such issue, so sump capacity is greater

So the longitudinal 1.8t solution was a larger oil filter after the sludge fiasco and less gray area for interpretation for oil requirements

Back to the OP, I’d just go with a 0w40 or 5w40

I know people love Motul 300V 5w40

Back