Looking for an oversized filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm trying to find an over sized filter for my GM 3800 v6. Basically, I'm looking for more oil capacity/more filter media since I tend to do extended drains. The problem is that I have no idea how to cross reference filter specs to look for compatible filters.

I don't know if there is a resource, or if could somebody educate me on how to do this myself?

Or if someone already knows the compatibility for S3387A (most brands) or M-101 (mobil one) or whatever the Amsoil filter is they could just tell me :p.

Long term, I would hope to get a bypass setup before the year is out, but I drive roughly 1000 miles a week and would like the benefits of more oil until I pony up for the bypass kit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PH3980 is oversize for PH3387A. Cross that into whatever filter you wish. If you have to look it up by model look up a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer S10 4WD with 4.3L engine. The 4WD part is important, 2WD will give you the same filter you have now, PH3387A size.

The AC52 is the oversize for the AC47.
The Purolator L24011 is the oversize for the L10111.
(Purolator should simpify the numbering, IMO)

There are some huge filters out there. Go some place that has a good stock of AC's. Write down the numbers of anything that looks like you have room for. Go to http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp and put your recommended AC number in #2 interchange. Click on the WIX number. Note gasket diameter and thread. Do the same for the filters on your list. The thread must match, but you may have some leeway on the gasket.

Don't count on more media until you have cut both open. Even then, media varies, more of a poorer one may not be better. Some PF 52's don't have anymore media than a PF 47.

51036 in WIX appears to be the biggest - unless I figured something wrong. It's got the right thread/gasket and can diameter. The length is 5+".

This appears to be a PH51A

So, Onmo appears to have the biggest one I can find with the PH3980

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
51036 in WIX appears to be the biggest - unless I figured something wrong. It's got the right thread/gasket and can diameter. The length is 5+".

This appears to be a PH51A

So, Onmo appears to have the biggest one I can find with the PH3980

I went through this with my Cavalier after I discovered only E-Core 3980's would fit as they are shorter. PH3980/PH3387A appear to be the only choices in this gasket/thread. Nothing longer, nothing fatter. At least that's all I could find on Donaldson's site.

Most AC's don't have a bypass. It is possible other brands may save themselves a part number by selling filters with a bypass for GM applications. The WIX site will give the pressure range if a filter has a bypass.

Originally Posted By: El_Schaf
Thanks guys!

Is there a possibility of bypass pressure issues with any of these?

No. They are an exact match except for length and media surface area.

Most vehicles that use the 3800 have a engine cradle bracket the limits the lenght the oil filter can be.
The 3980 is the longest that will comfortably fit.
The 60º V-6s GM makes, some of them anyway, have the filter on the 'front' side of the engine. More room, usually.

I thought I read some people were running PH3614/PH3600 type filters for that. The gasket is really oversize though. The gasket for the stock one will nearly fit inside the one on the 3600.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
While we're on it, anyone know what the desig is for an oversize/taller version of the M1-103?

I used to have a chart that had all the dimensions, but I can't find it...

As Omno states, the gasket is slightly smaller/larger, but depending on your dimensional limitations, there are many filters

The M1209 I is the same as the 51516.

There are others, but that's the longer one with the generic bypass setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back