Looking for an A/T Tire

My Jeep is on it’s 3rd set of BFG All Terrains, currently have the newer KO2’s. They’ve been awesome at the abuse I’ve given them.

8D43090F-8E68-49AF-BFD7-04BF530EEE73.jpeg

I've had lots of A/T tires over the years, including every iteration of the BFG A/T (including the latest KO2) since the 80's. The BFG KO2 would be my choice for dry desert terrain, but they lack in wet weather traction compared to better performing A/T's. Snow they do good (due to the open tread pattern) unless it's hard-packed or icy.

On the 4Runner we got last winter, I'm running these: https://expeditionportal.com/review-yokohama-geolandar-at-g015/

I wanted a much more capable tire than the OEM installed tires, but didn't want a howling mud tire or super aggressive A/T. I'm running the LT version, as in the review, not the even milder P-rated version. They are great in the rain, snow, and quiet on the road. Balance easily, and run smooth. And have had no trouble on 4wd trails.

2nd the Cooper AT/3s. I've had them on 2 vehicles with good success. Fairly quiet, handle well on and off road, seem to wear well. Like them better than the ATPs.

My Titan will get them when the Yoko Geolander ATs wear or time out although I have nothing bad to say about them either.

My recently purchased '08 Titan will need tires soon here. I would prefer an A/T due to us moving to the mountains, we'll now camp/off road quite a bit more.

There's plenty of options but I'm hoping for one that isn't overly loud on the highway. I know a/t's inherently have more noise, but I've read some aren't bad.

I was looking at discounttire.com and they have their own Pathfinder's for $880 installed and also have the Michelin ATX2 for $1,045. Are the Michelin Defender LTX decent off-road? They are a similar price to the A/T. I also checked walmart and they have quite a few options as well. A couple i've read were I believe chinese brands; "Milestar Patagonia" and "Travelstar Ecopath A/T". The reviews are surprisingly good but again, don't want the truck to sound like it has mud tires on it.

It currently has Cooper Discoverer ATP's on and I would consider those again as the price is decent however; at 4 years old these tires are loud, low or high speed.

I'm open to any suggestions and holy moses truck tires are expensive! Thank you
First you need to define off road. Are you just planning on dirt roads and gravel roads as your off road driving?

or do you need something that can also clear some mud from the tread and some big rock grip type of off-roading?

If it's just dirt/gravel roads, the Defender LTX will be more than adequate and give you a nice quiet ride as well.

Nitto makes some good tires. For an AT you can get the Terra Grappler which is a very good tire. I have the Terra Grappler, Ridge Grappler and the Trail Grappler. The Terra Grappler is by far the quietest out of them all followed by the MT Trail Grappler then Ridge Grappler which is a hybrid AT. I will be putting the MT Trail Grapplers back on my Tacoma. They have about 90,000 miles on them now and could go well over 100,000 on them but I won't. You will get about 50,000 miles to 60,000 on the Terra Grapplers if you rotate every 5,000 miles.

if you are going in snow I'd probably get something mountain snowflake rated.

yokohama geolandar g015 are excellent.

Milder AT design, decent fuel economy, lower noise than some.

I had several sets of their predecessors and liked them.. the g015 are improved in every way.

I won't be doing any mudding. Dirt/gravel roads and an area that gets 19-30 inches of snow per year.

I'm wondering if the Defenders would be fine for my usage?

Ended up purchasing a set of Defenders, I feel they will be fine for my usage and still be comfortable on the highway. Got discount to match the Costco $110 off deal and then he took off another $50, so not too bad.

Reactions: wdn
I have the E rated Coop AT3's and they have been fine. Taken everything I've thrown at them.

I sold these and never had a return for cupping.
I had those on my Ranger and loved them! Not quite as much snow traction as the BFG All Terrians they replaced but far superior wet pavement traction. I think the Cooper is the perfect mix

I have Cooper AT3 XLTs on my 2017 1 ton truck. I have about 5000 miles on them and I really like them. They are solid when towing. The AT3 is the less aggressive step below.

I've got a set of BFG K02's on my truck and a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my jeep

When my truck tires wear out I'm going to put Coopers AT3 XLT's on it. Super happy with my coopers on my jeep

If you want a more aggressive AT I recommend the General ATx and the Falken Wildpeak at3w. The General is an American made tire in most sizes, the Falken I believe is Thailand.

Michelin Defender will do well for you in light off road conditions as will the less aggressive Goodyear Adventure AT and Pirelli Scorpion AT.

I would recommend staying away from the Cooper AT3 they tend to cup out and get noisy on most every truck I see them on.
AT3 on the Hummer. Wear and performance in snow excellent at 38 PSI.

My recently purchased '08 Titan will need tires soon here. I would prefer an A/T due to us moving to the mountains, we'll now camp/off road quite a bit more.

There's plenty of options but I'm hoping for one that isn't overly loud on the highway. I know a/t's inherently have more noise, but I've read some aren't bad.

I was looking at discounttire.com and they have their own Pathfinder's for $880 installed and also have the Michelin ATX2 for $1,045. Are the Michelin Defender LTX decent off-road? They are a similar price to the A/T. I also checked walmart and they have quite a few options as well. A couple i've read were I believe chinese brands; "Milestar Patagonia" and "Travelstar Ecopath A/T". The reviews are surprisingly good but again, don't want the truck to sound like it has mud tires on it.

It currently has Cooper Discoverer ATP's on and I would consider those again as the price is decent however; at 4 years old these tires are loud, low or high speed.

I'm open to any suggestions and holy moses truck tires are expensive! Thank you

Have had Nexen Rodian AT Pro RA8s on the Wife's 14 Armada for 50K, very pleased with all aspects of the tire.

Falken Wildpeak At3w , excellent tire, have it on f150 and will be getting another set, when the time comes

Back