Looking for Acura's synthetic blend 5w-20 oil analysis data

Prior to buying my Ranger, I had settled on Havoline HM 5W-30 (Walmart 6qt Box). Now I'll probably just keep the Pro-DS 5W30 in for all the vehicles. I'd rather just keep one on hand that I can use in everything, and the J Series doesn't really seem to care what you put in it for the most part. (Or at least the non-VCM ones). I have a post on here somewhere of all the things I've used on my 2003 Accord (J30A4).

There it is (The forum software upgrade jumbled it all together, but I listed all the oils I've used in the first thread). I drove that car today and noted that the miles are a little over 243,000 and it still goes like it should.

Prior to buying my Ranger, I had settled on Havoline HM 5W-30 (Walmart 6qt Box). Now I'll probably just keep the Pro-DS 5W30 in for all the vehicles. I'd rather just keep one on hand that I can use in everything, and the J Series doesn't really seem to care what you put in it for the most part. (Or at least the non-VCM ones). I have a post on here somewhere of all the things I've used on my 2003 Accord (J30A4).

There it is (The forum software upgrade jumbled it all together, but I listed all the oils I've used in the first thread). I drove that car today and noted that the miles are a little over 243,000 and it still goes like it should.
Interesting post to look at :) You engine seems to be good and practically clean!

Below is the image before I poured PP in and original owner did 7k oil changes as MID was telling him

Attachments

• PXL_20201102_232839101.jpg
    PXL_20201102_232839101.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 34
Happy to hear that, just imagine a bit lower noise of the valves with synthetic blend oil.
1) What oil(brand) are you running on your J-series engines?
2) What do you think about me trying PUP oil out next time?
Have you done the valve adjustment? At your mileage, you may be due.

Have you done the valve adjustment? At your mileage, you may be due.
I haven't, but 12k miles ago original owner did 105k service a bit early(was done at around 101k miles) at Acura dealership and they did timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Spark plugs should of been done as well. I believe at that time, techs could of adjusted valves if they needed adjusting, maybe?

I haven't, but 12k miles ago original owner did 105k service a bit early(was done at around 101k miles) at Acura dealership and they did timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Spark plugs should of been done as well. I believe at that time, techs could of adjusted valves if they needed adjusting, maybe?
Dealers usually sell the spark plugs and valve adjustment service together. I have never done a 37, but the newer J35's with VCM have areas on the cyl head that require RTV. If the J37 is setup in the same way, you can check to see if those areas have non-factory applied RTV.

Dealers usually sell the spark plugs and valve adjustment service together. I have never done a 37, but the newer J35's with VCM have areas on the cyl head that require RTV. If the J37 is setup in the same way, you can check to see if those areas have non-factory applied RTV.
Good idea. Since I don't really know how factory/non-factory RTV should look like, I will try to take a video. I have watched few videos of J series valve adjustment videos, but they didn't specify if it was 3.5 or 3.7, but this seems to be an involved job. Adjusting valves probably isn't that bad, but taking stuff apart is :(

Good idea. Since I don't really know how factory/non-factory RTV should look like, I will try to take a video. I have watched few videos of J series valve adjustment videos, but they didn't specify if it was 3.5 or 3.7, but this seems to be an involved job. Adjusting valves probably isn't that bad, but taking stuff apart is :(
Actually, the disassembly and reassembly are the easiest parts. Adjusting the valves is the most difficult part due to access.

Looks like I found some info(specs) on synthetic blend 5w-20 "Acura oil": https://shop.sclubricants.com/acura-sb-5w-20

Looks like the blend shows Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C at 47.0, then Pennzoil Platinum at 45.9
And the Kinematic Viscosity cSt 100°C, the blend is 8.5 and Pennzoil Platinum is at 8.6

What does the above really mean? Could it be that the blend is thicker at lower oil temp, than PP oil?

Anyone that understands oil, please tell me:
1) Is synthetic blend oil having: - Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C being a 47.0 is better than Pennzoil Platinum of 45.9?
2) For the synthetic blend oil: Kinematic Viscosity cSt 100°C being 8.5 is better than Pennzoil Platinum is at 8.6?

Which numbers are better/worse?

Does anyone think the below Acura Full Synthetic of 5w-20 seems too thin having a cSt of 8.2 at 100 degrees C?

Does anyone think the below Acura Full Synthetic of 5w-20 seems too thin having a cSt of 8.2 at 100 degrees C?

Sounds about normal for a 20 grade, thin would be closer to 7Cst.

Sounds about normal for a 20 grade, thin would be closer to 7Cst.
The reason I asked is that I am using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and it has 8.8 at 100 degrees and the Platinum's cSt is at 8.6 per same degrees. I wonder what Acura's oil has in it and why would it be a bit thinner.

I got a report from the lab for virgin 5w-20 Acura synthetic blend oil and it seems to be good. Anyone?

Attachments

• UOA.JPG
    UOA.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 18
It meets the specs for a 20 grade. Other than that what else could be gleaned from this report?
I am also planning to send Acura full synthetic 5w-20 for testing when I get a chance. Just trying to pick an oil and stick to it.

Back