Looking for Acura's synthetic blend 5w-20 oil analysis data

Hey,

I have searched for UOA for Acura branded synthetic blend 5w-20 oil but didn't find. Anyone has done the test? I am just trying to compare it to Pennzoil Platinum that is in my vehicle as I have switched to full synthetic. Just don't want to go back to synthetic blend and then send the sample...
Acura_BlendSynth_5W20.jpg

I doubt you're ever going to find that. The only people likely to use that are going to be people not on this board. Plus, the bottlers have changed over time. If memory serves, Mobil, Idemitsu, and who knows else have been in that game.

I'd pretty confidently say that the PP is 'better' than the Acura branded stuff, but how much? Probably not enough to make a difference over 100k's of miles just like most of the debates on 'best' here.

I doubt you're ever going to find that. The only people likely to use that are going to be people not on this board. Plus, the bottlers have changed over time. If memory serves, Mobil, Idemitsu, and who knows else have been in that game.

I'd pretty confidently say that the PP is 'better' than the Acura branded stuff, but how much? Probably not enough to make a difference over 100k's of miles just like most of the debates on 'best' here.

I wouldn't bother with Acura's oil, it is just my engine started to sound different when cold after my last month's switch to full synthetic oil. I wanted to see what could be the cause, is it not enough Moly or Pennzoil 5w-20 in synthetic form is not at the same viscosity and might be lower than Acura's same grade oil.

I think the blend formulas are close to the same. Either should be good, though I would take the full synthetic if it is more stop and go driving than highway...

I think the blend formulas are close to the same. Either should be good, though I would take the full synthetic if it is more stop and go driving than highway...
It is kind of stop and go driving. At times it can be 50 city and 50 highway and total amount of miles is ~ 8. Other times it can be couple of miles in the city. So this was the main reason I chose to go with synthetic oil, but that Acura synthetic blend was filled at Acura dealer when I bough the car. Also according to all the maintenance history, this car was treated to that same synthetic blend oil at the dealership since 2014.
I guess I will go with Ultra Platinum to see if that makes the engine sound as it used to be, if not can always try synthetic blend again. I just drive 5-6k a year and it is a long way for me between oil changes :)

With the J37 and its history of sudden consumption, I would change it at no more than 5k with a good oil. That good oil is up to you . I wouldn't be too concerned with sound as the J Series can be a little 'tappy' sometimes, won't hurt it in the least.

All these are Phillips 66

Attachments

• AAFCD208-BC63-45D8-B44A-283DF11E2DF4.jpeg
    AAFCD208-BC63-45D8-B44A-283DF11E2DF4.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 6977F685-1837-4B68-A5D7-3838626282C0.jpeg
    6977F685-1837-4B68-A5D7-3838626282C0.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 12
  • B35FC651-0646-4944-A9D3-3DAFE5A5FC52.jpeg
    B35FC651-0646-4944-A9D3-3DAFE5A5FC52.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 3107D5CB-292B-4872-BA7F-C6982E16D614.jpeg
    3107D5CB-292B-4872-BA7F-C6982E16D614.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 223E5510-BC81-45F6-98FB-4FD15D2F38B7.jpeg
    223E5510-BC81-45F6-98FB-4FD15D2F38B7.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 10
With the J37 and its history of sudden consumption, I would change it at no more than 5k with a good oil. That good oil is up to you . I wouldn't be too concerned with sound as the J Series can be a little 'tappy' sometimes, won't hurt it in the least.
I agree with you here and with Acura's blend oil, I would have changed oil every 2.5/3k miles which is half way of the maintenance system. On other hand with full synthetic I thought of extending to 5k as this would be inline with my car's maintenance minder system. If I won't be safely able to have 5k OCI even with full synth, then I can just get any good oil brand and change it at ~3k(as mentioned above). I wanted to experiment and send oil for analysis.

As for engine noise, I believe Pennzoil's version of 5w-20 might be a bit thinner than synthetic blend that Acura sells and this made the engine noise more prominent. Next oil change, I decided to grab an Ultra version of Pennzoil which maybe a bit "thicker" since it is advertised as "extreme performance" and see if this changes anything and also see if I can do 5k OCIs.

Interesting thing is that my 2010 RL model wasn't on the Acura's TSB, 2011 and 2012 were. I guess these year models burnt a lot, but in my case I can't really say if engine did or didn't burn and here is why. I checked oil at 1k, and it was 3/4th(Acura changed oil last time) on the dipstick, Then checked at 1500k, on cold engine and seemed the same level. Then checked at 2700k on cold again, but this time oil level was on 1/4th on the dipstick. I didn't add oil and drove on the freeway to warm up the engine. Parked, waited 10 min, checked and level was at 3/4th. It is possible that when I checked on cold at 2700k, the car was not on the perfect surface level and showed incorrect reading. At this point I just didn't want to wait and just filled the rest 1/4th from a bottle to make it to the full mark. To me, if my vehicle burns some oil, then I think between 5k OCI, the oil should still be in the "safe zone"

Here is the video clip when vehicle is cold and this "rhythmic knock" is mostly happening around 1100 RPM, then quiets down at 1000 RPM or lower:

*I did hear similar noise with synthetic blend, but overall engine was quieter.

Hrm, if you can, pop the hood and shoot that again with the microphone closer, I hear what you're talking about, don't think I would be concerned about it, but interested to hear how it compares to my two J's.

Hrm, if you can, pop the hood and shoot that again with the microphone closer, I hear what you're talking about, don't think I would be concerned about it, but interested to hear how it compares to my two J's.
Here is the warm engine sound:

Here is the cold inside the car. You may notice no knock at the start but after short time, it starts for 1 min or so, then goes away: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qWL6wzkx7CbFr2Pk7 Also on this video at around 1:23, the sound is louder and harsh, this is because I placed my phone on the steering wheel :)

I hear valves, injectors, and a PS pump whooshing. Nothing at all to be concerned with there. Sounds like both of mine. The EGR valve also makes some noise from time to time.

Something you could also look at are your engine mounts. Just double-check that they're still hanging in there and aren't cracked or collapsed. They can cause some funky noises to get into the cabin.

Last edited:
I hear valves, injectors, and a PS pump whooshing. Nothing at all to be concerned with there. Sounds like both of mine. The EGR valve also makes some noise from time to time.
Happy to hear that, just imagine a bit lower noise of the valves with synthetic blend oil.
1) What oil(brand) are you running on your J-series engines?
2) What do you think about me trying PUP oil out next time?

Back