Looking for a used car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am looking to be buying a used car in the next few months in the 5000 to 6000 dollar range. I am probably going to hear non ending [censored] about this but it needs to be a gm car as my dad has worked for them for 32 year. My brother girlfriend's dad owns a used ca dealer ship and I think he will cut me a bit of a deal. So far I was thinking something like a 2004 grand prix with a 3800 series 3 engine. Do you guys have any other suggestions.

Last edited:
You could find a nice used Impala with the 3800 series III for that price. With a couple extra thousand, you could find a Malibu or an Impala (o6 and newer) with the LZ4 or LZE 3.5L V-6 and be guaranteed no intake gasket problems.

A Grand Prix seems to sporty for an old guy!

Not certain on their going prices, but how about a Monte Carlo or a Regal GS?
cool.gif

+1 for the regal. I'd probably also look into the olds intrigue, which had nice lines.

No comments on a 3800 midsize GM from me... better longevity, economy and cost of ownership than any V6 unit that Toyota or Honda made at that time...

You can find low-mileage 2001-2004 Regals at that price or less pretty easily. Most have been babied and are being sold because their owners stopped driving.

I know at one point the supper charged 3800s required premium fuel and then on later models didn't But i can't remember the cut off year for that.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Well I am looking to be buying a used car in the next few months in the 5000 to 6000 dollar range. I am probably going to hear non ending [censored] about this but it needs to be a gm car as my dad has worked for them for 32 year. My brother girlfriend's dad owns a used ca dealer ship and I think he will cut me a bit of a deal. So far I was thinking something like a 2004 grand prix with a 3800 series 3 engine. Do you guys have any other suggestions.

Have the owner of the used car dealership take you to the auto auction with him, and pick out a car for yourself. Expect to pay him 5% or 10% over the final auction price of the car (he's gotta eat as well).

This way you'll get something that appeals to you, and he'll make a few bucks as well, for letting you "use" his dealer privileges.

I've done it this way, and it's a lot of fun.

You can easily get an 01-04 Impala LS with low miles for that price. The cars are quite reliable if they were taken care of.

My 01 had electrical demons because I bought the demo model with 7k on it. After warranty I had to beat em back with a stick and it worked for a while. 75k later I gave it to my brother and he killed the demon thanks to my help. The BCM could be an issue with the car.

The Grand Prix's are bulkier and will feel a little underwhelming without a 3.8L or 3.8 SuperCharged. An 05/06 Monte are very nice, you might be able to get the newer body style Monte and Impala's for 5-6k as most 00-04 W-body impalas go for 3k-4k with 50-75k miles.

Basically look for:

BCM issues(locks not working, security light, any clunking in the steering while turning(ISS needs to be lubed), and ask for detailed work on the car). Ask them what they did to the car and ask for the paperwork on it to see what was replaced when it was traded in for resale.

I'd stay clear of Regals and anything with the Series II 3.8L, or god forbid the 3.1L and 3.4L! All will have intake gasket leaks.

Seriously; Impalas with the Series III are a dime a dozen and are in the price range. There are others like Park Avenues and the like with the Series III, but they are much more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'd stay clear of Regals and anything with the Series II 3.8L, or god forbid the 3.1L and 3.4L! All will have intake gasket leaks.

Yeah, me too. And I own one!
55.gif

They are cheap though.

the regal gs is the super charged one which to my understanding didn't suffer from the gasket problems of the regular ones.But yeah that is why I was looking at the series 3 3800.

Actually the supercharged ones based on the Series II did have lower intake gasket leaks. Plenty of UOA posted here from GTPs with coolant in the oil. I believe the last gen supercharged 3.8L has the new aluminum framed lower intake gasket which supposedly solves the problem.

I still can't believe the group think and denial at GM led to this problem not being fixed for over a decade. The GM mid size V-6s are all solid engines, save for the stupid gaskets.

I just replaced the intake gasket on my mother's Regal GS. Oil was creeping into the coolant. Wasn't too a bad job really.

The Series II with the S/C however did not have the upper intake issues as they ditch the plastic plenum for that beautiful roots blower.
wink.gif

IMO, the valve cover gaskets and plugs on my 3800 Camaro rated higher on the frustration meter than replacing it's intake gasket or the one on the buick.

Both issues are fixed with the '04 GP, or an '05+ Lacrosse. Impala always had the Series II but may have recieved the metal lower gaskets eventaully, IDK.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Easy: Pontiac Vibe!

I would rather take a bus then drive a Vibe.

The 06 and newer Impala seem just fine [with the 3.9 engine] as they are used for supervisior cars for the police here. The 00-05 Impala had allot of electrical problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back