Looking for a used car under 10K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a 2011 Fusion at a Honda dealer ship a block down the street from my work. They are asking $7500 for it and it not in bad shape at all. Clean Carfax. I inspected it and it has not been in an accident, nothing is leaking, everything seems to work.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Mazda 6 or Fusion with the 2.5 engine which seems to be quite durable. Forget the Sonata since the engines like to grenade.

2015 and up Kia Optima have a lifetime warranty on the engine now. It's probably the same thing for Sonatas.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by dareo
Okay so its just a big heavy high voltage piece of toxic waste that also involves A/C refrigerant? How do you even get rid of the old pack?.

I guess the more people that believe what you are saying the better the prices are for those that know better.

A hint there is no AC refrigerant in a battery, just antifreeze.

14Accent says it has a refrigeration connection to the pack. Tesla does use refrigeration to cool certain parts so i'm going to believe 14Accent. Even if it doesn't have A/C cooling to the pack its still a monumental disaster for a low budget buyer to risk dealing with. A 1G volt is great for an enthusiast who can pay cash for the car and be able to tinker with it down the road. Somebody barely making the $200 payment cannot be without a Volt while a pack is sourced, shipped to whomever is willing to work on it, (i'm sure its not something every shop would want to touch). This type of low budget buyer is also more likely to not have a place to plug it in safely each night.

Originally Posted by dareo
14Accent says it has a refrigeration connection to the pack. Tesla does use refrigeration to cool certain parts so i'm going to believe 14Accent. Even if it doesn't have A/C cooling to the pack its still a monumental disaster for a low budget buyer to risk dealing with. A 1G volt is great for an enthusiast who can pay cash for the car and be able to tinker with it down the road. Somebody barely making the $200 payment cannot be without a Volt while a pack is sourced, shipped to whomever is willing to work on it, (i'm sure its not something every shop would want to touch). This type of low budget buyer is also more likely to not have a place to plug it in safely each night.

Chevy is no Tesla,
Having been present during tear down of a pack
It's just antifreeze lines, might not be the green stuff but still antifreeze

The rest I agree with you but would add that those who can't tinker have no business owning most modern cars or any hybrid at all unless they can afford new bumper to bumper warranty.

My niece had a low mile basic RAV4 she paid good $$$ for grenade In more than one way and the cost of XMSN and some electronics was $5000+ Let alone fixing the rest, car was totaled at 80,000 miles out of warranty for issues that might have ran $800 on my 82 Suburban.

The Volt is no more complex than a Prius, just has a bigger battery and like the Prius can require big boy pants if a hybrid part fails to pay off.

Just the nature of most cars under 20 years old

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dan_erickson
I found a 2011 Fusion at a Honda dealer ship a block down the street from my work. They are asking $7500 for it and it not in bad shape at all. Clean Carfax. I inspected it and it has not been in an accident, nothing is leaking, everything seems to work.

Doesn't seem too bad, love the 2.5 motor. I believe there's a user here "sirtanon" that recently sold his with nearly 300K.

Originally Posted by panthermike
Originally Posted by dan_erickson

Doesn't seem too bad, love the 2.5 motor. I believe there's a user here "sirtanon" that recently sold his with nearly 300K.

The newer large non-hybrid Ford cars are quite reliable even if leg room and interior is lacking, (recent crown Vic/ Taurus models have the cockpit feeling but are oTherwise unremarkable)

Parts are fairly plentiful as well.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
The rest I agree with you but would add that those who can't tinker have no business owning most modern cars or any hybrid at all unless they can afford new bumper to bumper warranty.

Huh? Depends on your definition of tinker. Anything beyond filters, fluids, plugs, tires, brakes pretty much requires access to diagnostics as everything modern is completely linked electronically. A guy who drives an 82 Berb needs to be able to tinker.
thumbsup2.gif

I think we agree that it's going to be tougher on the low budget car owner going forward as a system failure will cost more to fix than the car is worth or the owner can afford.

Curious about your sister's RAV, it sounds like multiple things failed, unusual for a Toyota. What is XMSN?

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Curious about your sister's RAV, it sounds like multiple things failed, unusual for a Toyota. What is XMSN?

It's the part label used on transmissions where I work.

The transmission Grenaded on the highway leaving her stuck on an overpass when the engine was restarted it ran very rough vibrated and missed, car was towed and not fully diagnosed due to the known estimated repairs plus the uncertainty of anything else.
(I was not involved)

RAV4's like all crossovers have very poor transmission reliability compared to say a decent sedan and certain years are much worse than others, low miles out of warranty is no help either.

My best friend had 400k on his Impalas original transmission.
It is rare for any crossover to get more than 200k without some transmission work and more often than not there will be more than a few with infant mortality. Certain brands have much more expensive less rebuildable transmissions as well.
Classic pig and a poke just that the odds are better with the smaller sedan and worse with the CUV.

Anyway, Toyota isn't immune to what happens when you slap a sedan motor and transmission into a tall boxy heavier minivan shaped vehicle.

In my mind there should have been a recall on the RAV4's with the issue but Toyota is if anything worse than GM when there are real defects.
Reminds me of Nissan and the CVT.

First I have heard of CUV's and bad transmissions. I would like more info... I have a CRV with a 4AT on the way, and I keep wanting to get a RAV with either a 4AT or a 5AT. But having to do a trans swap kinda dampens my desire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back