Looking for a tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have an upcoming job, an oil pan reseal, which requires for the bolts to be tightened to 8nM + 90-degrees.

All of the torque wrenches I've found, that will measure angle, carry a range of 10-100 ft/lbs...so that won't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8Nm is about equivalent to just over 2lb hanging on a yard bar, 4lbs hanging on 18", 6lbs on a foot bar.

Like Olas says, snug them up, working around until they are all about that...the 90 degrees past snug. Mark a line on the bolt with a sharpie, another on the pan half way between them, then tighten to straight.

If you get really keen, calibrate your hand with a fishing scale and your favourite bar.

Stahlwille has a MANOSKOP that can do this job but thats over 1200 bucks, you don't need this tool.
An inlb torque wrench will do the job. 8 Nm is 70 inlb. Tighten the bolt them mark the bolt at 12 and pan at 3 then just turn the 12 mark to 3 and thats the 90 degrees.
Just increase the torque 5 inlb at a time and check where the mark is, repeat until the marks line up.

Then you have the actual torque spec for the next 20. You can mark each one if you like to double check. Make the lines with a fine carbide scribing tool.
The short 26 mm bolts are 8 Nm +90 degrees, if it has the longer ones 92 and 112 mm it is 8 Nm +180 degrees.
I bet you come out around 12 -14 Nm or 106-123 inlb, which would be about right.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_186500-56005-70088_0__?productId=1053219

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Torque-Wrench-H4DTW/203541509#specifications

That's about right-have to remember that "nip 'em up"-lost that term since the ancestors left England in 1670-Dan Mpls. Mn.

A small inch-pound torque wrench is best, but if you hold a 3/8" drive ratchet by the head and snug them all it is good enough.

The RTV Silicone is pretty forgiving.

You don't need an expensive torque wrench that measures angle, especially if you're just a DIY'er. Just get a torque angle gauge.

OTC4554.jpg

Or, just eyeball the 90 degrees. I've done that a couple times on fasteners. I wouldn't do it on a head bolt or main bearing bolt, but it's worked fine on the suspension parts when I've done it.

Yes, just eyeball the 90 degrees. That picked that angle for a reason -- humans are exceptionally good at identifying 90 degrees. Most people can detect only a degree or two off, but can't tell the difference between 20 and 30 degrees.

Don't try to figure out the torque. That won't work. The torque spec is to make certain that the fastener is bottomed and starting to clamp. The angle is to compress the gasket a specific amount. The gasket is resilient and won't have linear resistance, especially if the bolts are clamping different areas/lengths.

Originally Posted By: djb

Don't try to figure out the torque. That won't work. The torque spec is to make certain that the fastener is bottomed and starting to clamp. The angle is to compress the gasket a specific amount. The gasket is resilient and won't have linear resistance, especially if the bolts are clamping different areas/lengths.

If its only 12-15Nm its going to be close enough on an M6 bolt. If its critical then sure you need to check every bolt but this is an oil pan.
I did a front cover that way with a Manoskop 714 and they were all with a degree or two not more.

Angle is usually used on TTY bolts to maintain clamping pressure not necessarily to compress the gasket to a certain degree.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Stahlwille has a MANOSKOP that can do this job but thats over 1200 bucks, you don't need this tool.
An inlb torque wrench will do the job. 8 Nm is 70 inlb. Tighten the bolt them mark the bolt at 12 and pan at 3 then just turn the 12 mark to 3 and thats the 90 degrees.
Just increase the torque 5 inlb at a time and check where the mark is, repeat until the marks line up.

Then you have the actual torque spec for the next 20. You can mark each one if you like to double check. Make the lines with a fine carbide scribing tool.
The short 26 mm bolts are 8 Nm +90 degrees, if it has the longer ones 92 and 112 mm it is 8 Nm +180 degrees.
I bet you come out around 12 -14 Nm or 106-123 inlb, which would be about right.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_186500-56005-70088_0__?productId=1053219

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Torque-Wrench-H4DTW/203541509#specifications

Thanks Trav, you're the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back