Looking for a second opinion on my recent switch to full synthetic and my post experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been about a month, did you swap out the filter? It was probably a leaky filter ADBV if it was only cold start-up noises (per info in post #30) that weren't there before the oil and filter change.
After I switched to full synthetic, I decided to do shorter OCI and didn't reset the system. At that time oil life was at 50%. I hardly drove over 900 miles and now oil life is at 30% and has been like this for 3 weeks. I am expecting maintenance minder to let me know soon.

It's the kinematic viscosity in cSt at 40C. Bigger number is thicker viscosity. The difference between those two won't matter.
I see. For comparison Acura's synthetic blend has 47 at Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C according to specs(link below) and Kinematic Viscosity cSt 100°C is 8.5. The PUP has 48 and 8.8 and Pennzoil has a deal of $22 shell card with purchase of 2 5QT jags, so I might as well get the Ultra Platinum.

After I switched to full synthetic, I decided to do shorter OCI and didn't reset the system. At that time oil life was at 50%. I hardly drove over 900 miles and now oil life is at 30% and has been like this for 3 weeks. I am expecting maintenance minder to let me know soon.
I would have just swapped out the filter to see if that changed it, but would have done it a long time ago when the oil was still young. When trying to determine what the cause is, should only change one variable at a time to pinpoint the cause.

I see. For comparison Acura's synthetic blend has 47 at Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C according to specs(link below) and Kinematic Viscosity cSt 100°C is 8.5. The PUP has 48 and 8.8 and Pennzoil has a deal of $22 shell card with purchase of 2 5QT jags, so I might as well get the Ultra Platinum.

The difference (only 0.3 cSt) between the KV100 (kinematic viscosity at 100C) is hair splitting and most likely won't make any difference.

I would have just swapped out the filter to see if that changed it, but would have done it a long time ago when the oil was still young. When trying to determine what the cause is, should only change one variable at a time to pinpoint the cause.
I would have changed the filter after I started the thread, but I live in the apartments where they no longer allow tenants to work on their cars(for many years now). So I go to the place where I book a time with a lift and for 30 min oil change it is $20...

I agree with you on changing one variable at a time, but I figured since I will be replacing Purolator filter with Honda's(as previously was), and if it won't make a difference, then Pennzoil could be the only variable left(as you say not big of a difference in these oils) be it a Platinum or Ultra Platinum.

Hey guys, some update:
I changed oil on Monday and this time used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum instead of Platinum. Engine sound didn't change even though, this time I was used Honda oil filter and not Purolator One. I thought the noise in the engine could be a filter issue, but looks like it could be the oil itself or the way my engine reacts to it. What I did notice though, is that after I first switched to full synthetic back in January, the engine noise was more prominent, but after driving on the oil for 1k or so miles, the noise started to decrease. Now my car has fresh full synthetic oil and noise is louder again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back