Looking for a second opinion on my recent switch to full synthetic and my post experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like staying with the OEM filter. Many times it takes 2 or 3 oil changes, with the same oil, for things to settle down. Many people "perceive" vehicle sounds after making changes, not just oil/filter.

My 3000GT didn't "like" synth oil. When I changed it to synth startups sounded like it had no oil in the engine. With dino it was smooth and silent. My theory on this is (and this is just my theory) that dino oil is "tackier" and sticks to everything once it drains down back into the oil pan. I actually read this from a well respected member a long time ago saying that the group 2 oils are very "polar".

Many people claim to hear a difference in oils saying certain oils are noisy. There have even been wordy post here explaining why synthetic may be noisier. Said explanation might even be true, or it could be more hogwash like half or more or the stuff posted here.

What isn’t hogwash though is that Purolater has had some issues with both tearing media and cut ADBV. I seem to recall that particular one isn’t prone to the ADBV failure due to the design of the tapping plate, but Purolator/M+H changing those is not a heard or either. I’d put a Honda filter on it myself.

First off, nice automobile you have. As a prior owner of a Legend sedan, an RL, a TL and also my current Ridgeline (all V-6's), my experience is that with regular oil changes, the motor can run nearly forever, use almost no oil and not be particularly fussy about the oil type. Like others have said, I'd swap out the P1 filter and install a Fram Ultra and use it for 2-3 intervals. Stay with the PP. If you notice some consumption with the change to PP, don't worry since it will even out or stop over time. Enjoy your RL. It's barely broken in.

Flame suit on, I wouldn't use a Purolator oil filter. Secondly cold winter can have an impact on how an engine sounds, especially on the first cold start of the day. I'd take that into consideration before blaming the oil. Odds are it's the season, and/or the filter.
Right and that is why filter is the first in question, then oil or as you mentioned the season. Although I changed from synthetic blend to full synthetic, including filter on January 14th and before that day haven't heard any different sounds.

First off, nice automobile you have. As a prior owner of a Legend sedan, an RL, a TL and also my current Ridgeline (all V-6's), my experience is that with regular oil changes, the motor can run nearly forever, use almost no oil and not be particularly fussy about the oil type. Like others have said, I'd swap out the P1 filter and install a Fram Ultra and use it for 2-3 intervals. Stay with the PP. If you notice some consumption with the change to PP, don't worry since it will even out or stop over time. Enjoy your RL. It's barely broken in.
Thank you. I like this car too and enjoy it. I will sort this out one step at a time, starting from filter. In any case, I can always go back to Acura's blend.

Do you have the Purolator filter number handy? Purolator lists two different numbers. The PL14615 lists a relief valve setting of 20-30 psi. The PL14610 has a relief valve setting of 14 psi. FRAM’s 7317 series have relief valve settings of 13 psi. The PL14615 is a filter that you should not be using.
Where have you found this information? Seems like you've found a good resource.

I have been doing a little looking into Honda/Acura Genuine semi-synthetic oils. It looks like that are made by Phillips 66. They may well have a little more moly in them. The Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend is also a Phillips 66 product with a good dose of moly. I’m going to do a little more looking into this.
Hope it is the filter that is doing the noise at cold start and PP oil is just fine as I like the price of it for 5 qt jag - $17.54

Interesting thing is that original owner was following Honda's maintenance system and changed oil at 7k mark and he was running Acura's synthetic blend. Don't you think it is a bit high?

I though of either doing 3k/5months with synthetic blend OR use Pennzoil full synthetic and change every 5k every 9 months or so. Don't know which scenario would be good

I drove about 500 or so miles since switching oil and to me the engine sounds a bit different with sounds/noises I don’t remember hearing before.
How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking? Once one hits certain milestones funny things can be heard where there was nothing before...:)

On a serious note, I doubt what you hear is related to engine wear or poor oil performance- not going to happen. Understand, I too like to hear a smooth sounding engine, so my take is switch to a thicker oil (higher HTHS). Moly, no moly, it doesn’t matter.

How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking? Once one hits certain milestones funny things can be heard where there was nothing before...:)

On a serious note, I doubt what you hear is related to engine wear or poor oil performance- not going to happen. Understand, I too like to hear a smooth sounding engine, so my take is switch to a thicker oil (higher HTHS). Moly, no moly, it doesn’t matter.
No issues, I am 40 :) Basically during the oil change, I have introduced a new type and brand of oil and a different brand of oil filter. One of these 2 items could of contributed to some engine noise differences. The interesting thing is that on warm engine, the sound is identical to previous oil. It is the cold or while warming up, engine sounds different. Do you know how oil pump may sound?

No issues, I am 40 :) Basically during the oil change, I have introduced a new type and brand of oil and a different brand of oil filter. One of these 2 items could of contributed to some engine noise differences. The interesting thing is that on warm engine, the sound is identical to previous oil. It is the cold or while warming up, engine sounds different. Do you know how oil pump may sound?
Since both oils have the same Winter Rating, I would say -

1 - Use a different filter, if nothing changes...
2 - Get used to the noise or visit an ENT Doctor

🍻

Since both oils have the same Winter Rating, I would say -

1 - Use a different filter, if nothing changes...
2 - Get used to the noise or visit an ENT Doctor

🍻
I like your first option, which will definitely do, but for second option will go back to Acura's synthetic blend oil :)

True. My mom has a 2017 Toyota Camry and when we switched to Mobil 1 from Toyota genuine oil it was pretty loud. Still use Mobil 1 and it has quieted a little but not as quiet as it was originally.
It's my understanding that TGMO is Mobil 1.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that TGMO is Mobil 1. Can anyone verify that?
I think it is. We used the Toyota oil once. The rest of the time it was the bulk oil at the dealership. Before the switch to Mobil 1 as the Toyota oil was too expensive. Maybe formulated a bit different for Toyota not sure .

Does anyone understand this: Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C for 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum is 45.9 and for Pennzoil Ultra is 48. Which number is better and what does it mean?

It's been about a month, did you swap out the filter? It was probably a leaky filter ADBV if it was only cold start-up noises (per info in post #30) that weren't there before the oil and filter change.

Does anyone understand this: Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C for 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum is 45.9 and for Pennzoil Ultra is 48. Which number is better and what does it mean?
It's the kinematic viscosity in cSt at 40C. Bigger number is thicker viscosity. The difference between those two won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back