Looking for a second opinion on my recent switch to full synthetic and my post experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction:
My 2010 Acura RL(J 3.7L engine) with over 112k miles on it, was using Acura’s 5w-20 synthetic blend oil with Honda’s oil filter for the past 6 years(possibly) by previous owner. Basically looking at the Acura dealer service history, from 2010 to 2014 previous owner paid about $40 for an oil change which to me could indicated a "conventional oil". Then after that in 2014 and up he/she started paying around $70 which would indicate synthetic blend oil formula. Oil changes were done by the Acura dealer for that owner.

My story:
I drive about 5 to 6k miles per 9 months. Almost a month ago, I though why not go with “full synthetic” and I picked up Pennzoil Platinum with the aforementioned viscosity(5w-20) rating. I drove about 500 or so miles since switching oil and to me the engine sounds a bit different with sounds/noises I don’t remember hearing before. This is mostly while engine is cold and not fully warmed up and I am still parked. Nothing out of the ordinary or bad, just different.

Two things to note: the day I went with Pennzoil, I also used a different oil filter which is Purolator One. Before there was a Honda filter. Also the reason I switched, I do short such as 5 mile trips and thought full synthetic would help.

Here are my 3 questions:
1) Could the oil filter OR oil brand OR switching to full synthetic make engine sound different when not at full operating temp?
2) Since this was my first oil switch, would you recommend to do another oil change with same Pennzoil as well, but to go with Honda’s oil filter this time?
3) Go back to that Acura’s synthetic blend as before?

Many people have "heard" differences in their engines with different oils. There's certainly nothing wrong with the oil you used nor are these noises you're hearing likely anything to be concerned about.

Someone here will chime in and say who makes Honda / Acura's oil. I think it's made by Phillips 66 but you really can't find this in stores... I'd use a Honda filter over Purolator but the filter isn't going to contribute to noises, IMO. You can buy Honda filters at Autozone and other stores nowadays too, not just from dealers. Amazon too, of course.

Many people have "heard" differences in their engines with different oils. There's certainly nothing wrong with the oil you used nor are these noises you're hearing likely anything to be concerned about.

Someone here will chime in and say who makes Honda / Acura's oil. I think it's made by Phillips 66 but you really can't find this in stores... I'd use a Honda filter over Purolator but the filter isn't going to contribute to noises, IMO. You can buy Honda filters at Autozone and other stores nowadays too, not just from dealers. Amazon too, of course.

I already have 2 Honda filters at home, so I am prepared. I just was thinking if Purolator One oil filter had a different flow rate which was less than Honda's filter and that is why engine sounds different when cold.

Either oil it won't matter to the life of the engine if you service it on a regular basis.
Any idea if Acura's synthetic blend oil could be a bit "thicker" than Pennzoil's full synthetic and that is why engine sound wasn't as pronounced before the switch?

It’s not the oil. I would change out the filter and top off the oil. Honda oil filters are made by FRAM. Go get you a Tough Guard or Ultra to replace the Purolator. Then go from there.

Do you have the Purolator filter number handy? Purolator lists two different numbers. The PL14615 lists a relief valve setting of 20-30 psi. The PL14610 has a relief valve setting of 14 psi. FRAM’s 7317 series have relief valve settings of 13 psi. The PL14615 is a filter that you should not be using.

Some have experienced noises with different oil. Maybe try the Acura oil again and see if it still does it.

If I would just switch to full synthetic and not use a different filter, it could indicate engine may not like the oil. I guess I am going to stay with full synthetic for a second oil change, but get another filter. If that won't change anything, then Acura oil will get another chance :)

Do you have the Purolator filter number handy? Purolator lists two different numbers. The PL14615 lists a relief valve setting of 20-30 psi. The PL14610 has a relief valve setting of 14 psi. FRAM’s 7317 series have relief valve settings of 13 psi. The PL14615 is a filter that you should not be using.
Here is the Purolator One I got

Attachments

• PXL_20210114_040630048.jpg
    PXL_20210114_040630048.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 80
If I would just switch to full synthetic and not use a different filter, it could indicate engine may not like the oil. I guess I am going to stay with full synthetic for a second oil change, but get another filter. If that won't change anything, then Acura oil will get another chance :)
True. My mom has a 2017 Toyota Camry and when we switched to Mobil 1 from Toyota genuine oil it was pretty loud. Still use Mobil 1 and it has quieted a little but not as quiet as it was originally.

That’s the right one however, Purolator quality control isn’t that great. I would still pull the filter and put on a FRAM TG7317 or XG7317 and top up your oil level. If you do have a Honda filter on hand, use it. Keep the oil in the sump if it’s not due to change. Change the filter on a cold engine. Go from there.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that different cars like different brands of oil. My 03' Matrix will run on any full synth 5w30. My 19' Sorento burned M1. I have Castrol GTX Mag 5w20 in there now and it doesn't burn oil, it does feel "sticky" when it's cold, but fine when it warms up. Never had that with PP. My neighbor uses Super Tech and Havoline with no problems. but his Camry burned Valvoline and Castrol Edge. Go figure. After this drain I'm goin back to PP. Pick a full synth that your car likes and stick with it. All of them are quality oils, and maintenance is more important than brand.

That’s the right one however, Purolator quality control isn’t that great. I would still pull the filter and put on a FRAM TG7317 or XG7317 and top up your oil level. If you do have a Honda filter on hand, use it. Keep the oil in the sump if it’s not due to change. Change the filter on a cold engine. Go from there.
Correct, I do have couple of Honda filters with corresponding crush washers on hand. I will start from oil filter and then test other variables to see which oil/filter works best.

Short story:
You may know that Acura/Honda vehicles have MID system that shows when to do any kind of maintenance on the car. I had synthetic blend in the car and drove about 2700 miles and MID showed 50 % oil life left but oil seemed to be darker than I expected, so I decided to use full synthetic and drive for the remainder of 50% oil life which would be no more than 3k miles and then change it. This way my first full synthetic oil OCI would be shorter and to see how filter will look like. My car has that "redesigned" 3.7L engine that Honda was sued for but TSB only showed 2011-2012 models(not including my year). People that faced oil consumption, recommended doing 3k OCI, regardless of oil type and to not rely on Hondas Maintenance Minder which for many people it showed from 6k to 7500 miles OCI. With full synthetic my goal is to make it easy on the engine(short trips) and to make future OCIs at 5k. Because I don't drive much, my driving habits would be in line with Honda's maintenance minder system. So I could kill 2 birds with one stone. If I can't do that safely(will do oil analysis), then I would do mid-OCI oil and filter change, but could use cheaper synthetic blend oil instead of going full synth... Hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
Is the Acura oil one of those mega-high moly oils? If so, that will explain the smooth quiet engine. Oils high in moly are known for being "quiet oils".
I have no idea, but would like to know if it has more of it. Basically the engine for quiet whether it was cold and hot with Acura's synthetic blend. With full synthetic, engine sounds smooth(the same as it did with Acura's oil) when at normal operating temp. When cold, I hear it more as if full synthetic oil isn't creamy enough for the engine :)

I'm of the opinion that different cars like different brands of oil. My 03' Matrix will run on any full synth 5w30. My 19' Sorento burned M1. I have Castrol GTX Mag 5w20 in there now and it doesn't burn oil, it does feel "sticky" when it's cold, but fine when it warms up. Never had that with PP. My neighbor uses Super Tech and Havoline with no problems. but his Camry burned Valvoline and Castrol Edge. Go figure. After this drain I'm goin back to PP. Pick a full synth that your car likes and stick with it. All of them are quality oils, and maintenance is more important than brand.

I used Pennzoil engine oil in the past and engines seemed to like it, but these were times of older cars and that oil was conventional. This time I am working with synthetic oil and a different car.

I have been doing a little looking into Honda/Acura Genuine semi-synthetic oils. It looks like that are made by Phillips 66. They may well have a little more moly in them. The Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend is also a Phillips 66 product with a good dose of moly. I’m going to do a little more looking into this.

Flame suit on, I wouldn't use a Purolator oil filter. Secondly cold winter can have an impact on how an engine sounds, especially on the first cold start of the day. I'd take that into consideration before blaming the oil. Odds are it's the season, and/or the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back